Blood sugar drop

Danny1412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I have been diagnosed in the last 12 months with type 1 diabetes and have only recently relented and started taking insulin, I still take Metformin, gliclozide, empagliflozin and linagliptin tablets twice a day. I have started taking Lantus insulin in the evening starting at 6 units and now at 18 units. blood sugar still seems to be all over the place and recently it went up to 21.5 in the morning (I had had breakfast of eggs & bacon) ,within 1 hour it had fallen to 3.5 at which point I took dextrose and a sandwich which raised it to 5.3. Is this normal and could anyone explain what if anything I did wrong?

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're not doing anything wrong - but you really need to be on the right combination of fast acting and slow release insulin.

Are you in the UK? If so then get your diabetes team to introduce you to Novorapid and help you out with carb counting.

Danny1412

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi yes I am in the UK, I am in weekly contact with the diabetes nurse at the hospital, who to date has just increased the dosage of Lantus and increased my medication.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not sure the diabetes nurse is on top of the job. Taking insulin together with a range of diabetes tablets is unusual. Can you let us know what your BMI is? Ideally you would be on the Basal/Bolus insulin regime with a mealtime insulin such as NovoRapid. You wouldn't really need the tablets then and it would make your BS behaviour more predictable. If you are not overweight has the nurse suggested a C-Peptide test for your own insulin output level?