Type 1 Masks

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
It depends where you are.
The U.K. doesn’t seem to be as stringent about masks as some countries, but there’s a growing body of research and opinion to say that they reduce transmission.
I believe that you have to wear them on public transport and in some work areas, and in places where social distancing isn’t strictly possible, but I wait for others to chip in about this.
As a 70 yr old T1, I’ve not been out and about except for the occasional fairly isolated walk.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Scotland also announced yesterday that wearing masks whilst shopping is compulsory

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do we have to wear a mask??

you will find the full, current, English mask and face coverings on the www.gov.uk coronavirus pages.
There are links to the Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh pages there too.
There are various requirements for different circumstances.
Other countries have different requirements.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I choose to wear a mask away from home.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepster

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
To Zorro or not to Zorro seems to be the question.
I am choosing not to because I can for now other than on the train which I am tending to avoid so that I don't have to muzzle up.
sheep-mask-black-tee

In my local shopping centre a large proportion of people are masked up but mainly the elderly. My husband also saw a lady wearing a nappy on her face in the supermarket but I am not sure if that was a protest.
A cloth mask will be provided for me and I will have to wear it when I go back to work. Like any bandana this is about as useful as using a chain link fence to stop a mosquito.

Reactions: sally and james

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To Zorro or not to Zorro seems to be the question.
I am choosing not to because I can for now other than on the train which I am tending to avoid so that I don't have to muzzle up.
sheep-mask-black-tee

In my local shopping centre a large proportion of people are masked up but mainly the elderly. My husband also saw a lady wearing a nappy on her face in the supermarket but I am not sure if that was a protest.
A cloth mask will be provided for me and I will have to wear it when I go back to work. Like any bandana this is about as useful as using a chain link fence to stop a mosquito.

Hi,

If I remember rightly, you work as a personal trainer? Which probably involves vocal projection with clients. (Raised volume instructions given, support & praise called?)

Oddly, I'm in a simalar situation as the frontman for two bands.. (A lot of shouty stuff.)

I've been testing my mask in my makeshift home studio using it as a "pop shield" during some isolation recording..
Info here. https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/pop-shields-why-you-need-them

I conclude on the same principle; masks can help lower the risk of passing on the "C" as well as distorted Ps & Bs. ;)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
No just like you would not have to wear welding goggles or mask,use contraceptives, put suncream on if it ever gets sunny again wear a cycling helmet on a pushbike, a riding hat or jodhpurs use a pair of oven gloves except of course where it is mandatory and then you could refuse to wear one and accept the consequences.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
In Scotland at the moment masks aren’t compulsory unless your on public transport.but as of the 10 th July they are compulsory when your in shops. Different people have different views and I have seen data on both sides of the argument .
Scotland is a little behind England so time will tell . I have a mask hope it doesn’t scare the weans .
D1C30DB3-D352-44F5-9273-253B6B1D275A.jpeg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In Scotland at the moment masks aren’t compulsory unless your on public transport.but as of the 10 th July they are compulsory when your in shops. Different people have different views and I have seen data on both sides of the argument .
Scotland is a little behind England so time will tell . I have a mask hope it doesn’t scare the weans .View attachment 42499

Like your self, I checked out the debate on this & I can see the rational..
Yours is a quality bit of kit.. :cool:

I mentioned earlier I'd "bench tested" mine.. If it can cut wayward sound waves, it may just potentially reduce the risk of someone else's heartache.

2020-06-15 02.40.45.jpg

Reactions: sleepster

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Like your self, I checked out the debate on this & I can see the rational..
Yours is a quality bit of kit.. :cool:

I mentioned earlier I'd "bench tested" mine.. If it can cut wayward sound waves, it may just potentially reduce the risk of someone else's heartache.

View attachment 42502
Always good to have a sound test procedure hehe

Reactions: Jaylee

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Scotland is a little behind England so time will tell . I have a mask hope it doesn’t scare the weans .View attachment 42499
You are looking braw there!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
''' I have a mask hope it doesn’t scare the weans .View attachment 42499

:bag: A bit too early for Halloween though?? :bag:

ETA @Daisyhelen1979 I'm stuck at home at the moment and not been out for ages, but as an ancient and decrepit T2 OAP I'll wear a mask if I should need to go out, both for my own peace of mind, and as respect particularly for any other (more) vulnerable people I may come in contact with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fairygodmother

lindisfel

Expert
No just like you would not have to wear welding goggles or mask,use contraceptives, put suncream on if it ever gets sunny again wear a cycling helmet on a pushbike, a riding hat or jodhpurs use a pair of oven gloves except of course where it is mandatory and then you could refuse to wear one and accept the consequences.
Hi John,
Just realized my father christmas four month old beard has a birds nest in it.
So when the birds stopping nesting I shall shave it off because I am sure aerosols of covid could lodge in it. Any way it wouldnt fit under a mask.
regards
Derek