Verisi

Hi everyone, I’ve recently turned 20 and have decided that I’d like to start on the path of becoming a child/adolescent counsellor, especially for those with diabetes. As a Type 1 of 19 years, I want to draw upon my experiences to help others.

I am looking to start a Level 3 course in Child & Adolescent counselling and then progress onto the higher levels of achievement.

It’s been difficult to find useful information about diabetes counselling specifically and I’m curious to know if after attaining a counselling qualification, if I should then do a general course on diabetes to bring it all together.

Any advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes counselling is no different to life counselling. A good counsellor doesn't give advice and doesn't need to be an expert. . A good counsellor just shows empathy and asks the right questions. Questions that get clients to figure out solutions to their problems.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I’ve recently turned 20 and have decided that I’d like to start on the path of becoming a child/adolescent counsellor, especially for those with diabetes. As a Type 1 of 19 years, I want to draw upon my experiences to help others.

I am looking to start a Level 3 course in Child & Adolescent counselling and then progress onto the higher levels of achievement.

It’s been difficult to find useful information about diabetes counselling specifically and I’m curious to know if after attaining a counselling qualification, if I should then do a general course on diabetes to bring it all together.

Any advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated!

Hi there Verisi - I'm sure your experience would be useful in dealing with others living with the same condition.

My only cautionary thought would be to consider whether working with people who are struggling, living with their diabetes all day, coupled with the continuous management of your own condition could get a bit much.

Good luck with your studies. It's great to have goals in life, but it's important to accept that our goals can change, as and when we need or want them to.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Diabetes counselling is no different to life counselling. A good counsellor doesn't give advice and doesn't need to be an expert. . A good counsellor just shows empathy and asks the right questions. Questions that get clients to figure out solutions to their problems.

According to American Psycholical Association

Directive Counselling
an approach to counseling and psychotherapy in which the therapeutic process is directed along lines considered relevant by the counselor or therapist. Directive counseling is based on the assumption that the professional training and experience of the counselor or therapist equip him or her to manage the therapeutic process and to guide the client’s behavior. Also called directive therapy.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I believe in UK the move is towards Diabetic Coachs