Type 1 HELP ME PLEASE!

Bls1998

I am a 21 year old type one diabetic, I Gleason diagnosed at 7 and have never had controlled bloods. My hb1c was 155 last time I checked and I have been in hospital over 50 times with DKA...

I am extremely thin, I have nerve damage, diabetic retinopathy, depression and anxiety and writing this post is terrifying but I am out of options. I have tried to talk to the doctor about it all but it’s hard because of the travel, the anxiety stress and the last time I got the guts to tell them everything they said “one thing at a time please, don’t bring a long list of problems all at once”

My partner is now expecting and I need to fix myself so I can live a happy life with my new family please please help in any way

For example meal plans maybe? (They would have to be cheap as I am too ill to work but they took away my DLA when it switched to pip and said they would not award me pip)

Or anything really just a glimmer of hope is all I need, thank you in advance

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm sorry you've had a tough time. Persevere to get the support you need from your medical team. I couldn't have coped with my diagnosis without their ongoing support.

In the meantime, I recommend you find a copy of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

Reactions: Bls1998

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Type 1 is tough, not an easy ride at all. A few years ago I had a super high HBA1C (had been for a while), my consultant referred me to a diatition and with her help, I have turned my type 1 around. Get on to your diabetes team, not your GP, and ask for help. Not what you want to hear BUT there is only 1 person who can really help you and that is you. You need to do this, not only for yourself but for your other half and the expected new arrival........

Reactions: kev-w and Bls1998

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The important thing is to start using your insulin in the right way but seek medical guidance to start with. Your body will be burning body fat as it can't metabolise the carbs you eat. The insulin will start correcting that. In many ways you can have a fairly normal diet but to start with do seek medical guidance. Normally anyone with diabetes needs to control the carbs to some extent. A T1 can gain too much weight if too many carbs are eaten. Just eat a fairly normal diet and that can include many low cost foods.