Cheese flush

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I love cheese but I don't think my body can handle it like it used to. A couple of slices of cheese gives me a funny sensation like a mediate flush and if I eat it late at night I always seem to get a rapid heart rate later in the night. It's almost like it's too rich for my body to tolerate. Anybody else get this?

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I love cheese but I don't think my body can handle it like it used to. A couple of slices of cheese gives me a funny sensation like a mediate flush and if I eat it late at night I always seem to get a rapid heart rate later in the night. It's almost like it's too rich for my body to tolerate. Anybody else get this?
hi @type two paul - an interesting question. Exactly two years ago my lipase and amylase levels were 3 times higher than the upper limit, indicating some kind of pancreas problem. Increasing my immuno-suppressaant dosage has put that right, but ever since, I cannot enjoy any form of egg like I had done all my life. I am not suggesting a pancreas problem, but maybe something in your metabolic system has reacted. Tyramine is an amino acid found in cheese, smoked fish and cooked meats and can cause raised blood pressure, palpitations and migraines. My mother-in-law was never allowed these foods in her later years. But sometimes there is no obvious reason. Maybe I shall eat eggs again one day and you will tolerate cheese? I hope you will!

type two paul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
hi @type two paul - an interesting question. Exactly two years ago my lipase and amylase levels were 3 times higher than the upper limit, indicating some kind of pancreas problem. Increasing my immuno-suppressaant dosage has put that right, but ever since, I cannot enjoy any form of egg like I had done all my life. I am not suggesting a pancreas problem, but maybe something in your metabolic system has reacted. Tyramine is an amino acid found in cheese, smoked fish and cooked meats and can cause raised blood pressure, palpitations and migraines. My mother-in-law was never allowed these foods in her later years. But sometimes there is no obvious reason. Maybe I shall eat eggs again one day and you will tolerate cheese? I hope you will!
Interesting thanks. Haven't cut out cheese completely yet but I know I will pay the price if I'm tempted. I didn't buy any at the weekly shop today so will see how I cope. I'm in to black pitted olives at the moment. Used to hate them but now really like them.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My sister used to love cheese but used to flush across her upper chest after eating it. After having an allergic reaction to something else she had one of those tests where they put possible allergens on her arm and unexpectedly cheese showed a quite strong reaction. She still carried on eating it though and eventually passed away from something completely different .

Edited to add last word.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we can all develop intolerances to just about anything (food, perfumes, chemicals, latex...) at any time.

Looks like your body is giving you clear signals to suggest you avoid cheese for a while.

you could try lactofree or dairy from sheep or goats instead to see if they give you the same reaction.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in to black pitted olives at the moment. Used to hate them but now really like them.
Yes, for me it is one of the unexpected consolations for having to give up so many higher carb foods that lower carb foods I used to loathe now taste delicious. For example, 100% cocoa chocolate and cooked spinach. Mind you, having permission to fry all vegetables in the best olive oil makes a big difference.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat