Hypo symptoms changing

Flowertown

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do the symptoms of a hypo for anyone change over time? I’m used to having the same set but every once in a while they change.

I recently started getting blurred vision - something I’ve never had before. I sometimes even get a flashing light in one eye that stays for the hypo duration then leaves. I also recently had a hypo which made it feel like my thumb wasn’t working normally, it felt stiff, thankfully it felt normal again once my blood sugar came up.

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else feels like this.

Reactions: Todd1974

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Flowertown my hypo symptoms vary a lot sometimes I get the urge to wee, other times tingling lips and tongue, other times blurred vision, shakes, sweats.

As hypos are a result of glucose deprivation in the brain it’s unsurprising that symptoms can vary.

Reactions: EllieM

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
About 9 years ago at a hospital appointment my consultant was explaining to a student doctor that was sitting in on my appointment how, if you've had diabetes for a good few years, your hypo symptoms change, I can't really remember what he said, but it explained why my hypos had some different symptoms that I hadn't had before, 14 years after diagnosis.
I never used to get blurry vision or get sweaty when hypo, but I did used to get other symptoms that I now don't get.
I wish I could remember the reasoning but I'll have a google instead.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I remember when I was first diagnosed with diabetes (40 years ago) I was given a sheet of paper with a list of “symptoms”of both high and low blood sugars , from what I remember the lists were quite long . I guess they were compiled from numerous diabetics at the time, My hypos and hypers have changed over the years , and with quite an exstensive list I was given it doesnt really surprise me as like everything with age things change . The main point is as long as you know when your either high or low and can treat it accordingly , things are ok, either that or we are greedy and trying to get the whole list lol

stay safe

“Dracarys”

MarkHaZ123

I tend to find I have a few different types of symptoms when having hypos

When my bloods go down slowly I find I get irritable and I can get angry before my bloods get to a point where I start feeling like I'm shaking.
I tend to hate these hypos as they aren't always known as they are slowly onset

If I over inject without knowing or miss count my carbs I find I can be down to about 2 rapidly and not even know. I only know when I'm sweating like crazy and shaking badly, I tend to really need the toilet aswell

Iv definitely noticed in general my symptoms have changed with both. I used to get restless legs and a sweaty neck but they seem to have stopped when I get hypos

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a pity that more doctors don't seem aware of the fact that any individual's hypo symptoms can change over time. I first developed double vision as a hypo symptom when I was pregnant 27 years ago, having gone out at lunchtime to buy a sandwich in the city centre where I worked. I chewed glucose tablets, then sat on a seat for a bit but I could only walk straight if I shut one eye. This was my usual first hypo warning symptom for 2 and a half years and it drove me up the wall. I cannot describe my relief when it stopped happening. The sweating and shakiness just continued exactly as before, but the double vision which always came first, was a nightmare. As long as we all remain aware that our hypo symptoms can change and check our BS level if in doubt, we can remain in control.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine have certainly changed over 35 years. One of my first symptoms used to be shaky hands - and I have very steady hands so that was a really good indicator. Can't remember when that disappeared but I haven't had it for years. Other changes too, including recently sometimes starting to feel nauseous - that's a new one! I've never really thought about it that much, so it's a great question @Flowertown. Makes me think how adaptable we all are, and acceptint of the fact that this isa condition that keeps us on our toes in so many ways!

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypo symptoms are mostly because of the hormonal stress response. Levels of adrenaline and cortisol are elevated, hence the sense of anxiety and irritability. There can be various physical symptoms too. Hypo symptoms change as we age and hormonal response to low blood glucose evolves. The hormonal response can also be conditioned by persistently high or low blood glucose. Hypo unawareness is partly because of age and partly because of hormonal response being down-regulated by repeated low blood glucose.

ROE100

Yes hypo symtoms change i have a large range from needing to put my foot down twice because i think i haven't put my foot down. to my thought process just going round and round on one thing until i say stop and test and then i have the ones which i had at the very start over 30+ years ago - funny feeling in stomach and hand shakes. I take it if something is different to your normal function then test and if going low then mark it up as another sign of being low.

TypeZero.

Do the symptoms of a hypo for anyone change over time? I’m used to having the same set but every once in a while they change.

I recently started getting blurred vision - something I’ve never had before. I sometimes even get a flashing light in one eye that stays for the hypo duration then leaves. I also recently had a hypo which made it feel like my thumb wasn’t working normally, it felt stiff, thankfully it felt normal again once my blood sugar came up.

Anyway, just curious to see if anyone else feels like this.

Yeah my one changes often too.

Usually the most common symptom I get is this sinking feeling, butterflies in stomach or something like what anxiety would feel like before doing a presentation in front of lots of people.

When I had my first 2.4 mmol/L I woke up from this 30 min nap feeling dizzy and feeling really tired, ran to the fridge and literally binged on everything I could see, I had a 2 hour nap after this because I was so tired. Now my 2.4s aren’t that bad but it’s not a great feeling.

My hypos seem to mimic symptoms of anxiety I’ve previously had, that weird gut feeling and feeling very nervous.

Bobbb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, absolutely they change. New ones creep up on you and it can take quite some repeat occurrences to recognise the changes. I had put my sleepiness down to general fatigue until I tested my BG and realised it was a new symptom, big floating blobs of light in both eyes is another new one on me. Yup; you can’t sit on your laurels with symptoms; change of insulin can be a trigger as well as the length of time you’ve had Diabetes. I find it quite satisfying to recognise a new one as it gives me a feeling of keeping the ambulance at bay...

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5 years ago: shaky hands, sweating, increased thirst and over-eating

now: absence of hunger, brain fog, confusion, drowsiness

symptoms remain consistent within the 2-4 mmol/l range and have tried to keep it to a max of 1 hypo per week

Last edited:

billpearson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find changes in vision, sometimes sweating, and sometimes irritability are my main symptoms. If I suddenly feel tired, I know that my blood sugars are either too low, or too high, so I then try and check straight away! Thankfully I use Freestyle Libre, which makes that easier.

When I used to just do blood tests, and thought my sugars were going low, I used to some times wait to see if the symptoms got worse. I found out the hard way, that that was extremely stupid - as once sugars drop below a certain level your brain doesn't function so well, and you could be in a sweet shop and not know what to do.

Unfortunately if your control is bad, hypos much easier to spot than if you are normally within or close to the target ranges. So harder to spot hypos can be a problem of better control, but nobody should have blood sugars bouncing all over the place if they can help it.