Does anyone else notice coffee can spike their sugar levels?

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So for dinner tonight my reading was 5.7. Had 60 grams of carbs and took 6 units of rapid insulin(humalog) to cover the carbs since 1:10 ratio is where I'm at.

Had a cup of coffee with one teaspoon of coffee and a tad bit of semi-skimmed milk with no sugar. I've recently got the libre sensor and over the period of 5 hours my bloods have climbed to 11.0. I know I've taken the correct amount of insulin and my long acting insulin dosage was taken a few hours after my dinnee.

Can coffee raise my levels to 11? I've injected 1 unit to bring it down within range but if coffee is causing this slow climb then I might take a extra unit when comsuming a coffee from now on or just cut out coffee completely. I did wait 4 hours to test again after dinner. Probably is coffee... had one shortly after dinner and noticed before bed that it was 11.0. I'm 100% sure that my ratio is correct since 1.5 units per 10g of carbs always sends me in a low after 1 to 2 hours after meal times.

Let me know anyway

Thank you =).

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, coffee is a stimulant and it can increase blood glucose. Liver glycogen, mobilised by stress hormones. But most people don't see a difference. I would look for a pattern before dosing for it. Removing the carbohydrate noise factor and doing a test should do it. Before lunchtime, well after the last meal, have a cup of coffee. Then test after 30 minutes and before having lunch.

Reactions: Dazphoenix28

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I'll try that. Cut everything bad out of my diet(pizza, sugar, all the bad stuff) and pretty much stick to wholegrain carbs, greens and proteins and only touch sweet stuff when I'm on a hypo. I'll try tomorrow and see whay happens =).

Reactions: MarkMunday

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So for dinner tonight my reading was 5.7. Had 60 grams of carbs and took 6 units of rapid insulin(humalog) to cover the carbs since 1:10 ratio is where I'm at.

Had a cup of coffee with one teaspoon of coffee and a tad bit of semi-skimmed milk with no sugar. I've recently got the libre sensor and over the period of 5 hours my bloods have climbed to 11.0. I know I've taken the correct amount of insulin and my long acting insulin dosage was taken a few hours after my dinnee.

Can coffee raise my levels to 11? I've injected 1 unit to bring it down within range but if coffee is causing this slow climb then I might take a extra unit when comsuming a coffee from now on or just cut out coffee completely. I did wait 4 hours to test again after dinner. Probably is coffee... had one shortly after dinner and noticed before bed that it was 11.0. I'm 100% sure that my ratio is correct since 1.5 units per 10g of carbs always sends me in a low after 1 to 2 hours after meal times.

Let me know anyway

Thank you =).

Hmm, I do coffee in the morning but no breakfast. I also get a liver dump "foot on the floor" fight or flight thing on a workday morning prep routine prior. I wake up in the "zone," then later with "nill by mouth" bar coffee...
I correct. On the basis of calling it out as a liver dump. However, the more coffee consumed don't help.
Coffee is a stimulant a little like "red bull."
I keep a diet can of red bull handy driving back late from gigs. (Or used to.) I've noticed that can throw me too.

Libres teach you a lot & fill in the "dots."

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your advice. I do tend to drink a lot of coffee during the day so gonna cut down to a few now =).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Let me know anyway

Thank you =).

I'm not an insulin user, but was there a lot of fat in your meal? In fatty and sometimes protein heavy meals, many often report a much slower rise in blood sugars.

If you are new to the Libre, maybe this hasn't been picked up in the past?

Very happy to be very wrong, but this post was maybe about the bigger picture?

(I'm also a decaf coffee person when I have it.)

Reactions: Dazphoenix28

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the meal I had chicken soup with 2 slices of wholemeal bread. Soup was 20g of carbs and bread was 40g for both slices. Maybe I'm still adjusting to seeing the arrows and still trying to get a grasp on predicting where it's heading.

Thanks for the feedback =).

Stefp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get blood sugar spikes with coffee too - one of the few things that I refuse to give up! I have switched to almond milk and seen a slight improvement but do tend to need to dose 1 unit for my almond milk lattes! It is a lot of trial and error - if you are noticing this is happening regularly try a small insulin dose and see what happens and take note - I now keep a ‘food’ diary to try to focus on patterns to work things out rather than getting stuck on one higher reading - I can then go back and see what happened the last few times I ate that food or had that drink to see if the same thing is happening again.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't answer your question @Dazphoenix28 as I only drink decaf everything. I changed a few years ago, for different medical reasons, and have to say I don't notice the difference if I buy good quality whatever. I mistakenly had two cups of caffeinated coffee one morning last year when I was at an event and it took a while to figure out why I suddenly started to feel so utterly weird. First off I thought I was hypo, but not at all; dizzy, sweaty, a bit disorientated, not nice at all. It kind of confirmed to me that I don't want to consume caffeine; might be worth trying?

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can't answer your question @Dazphoenix28 as I only drink decaf everything. I changed a few years ago, for different medical reasons, and have to say I don't notice the difference if I buy good quality whatever. I mistakenly had two cups of caffeinated coffee one morning last year when I was at an event and it took a while to figure out why I suddenly started to feel so utterly weird. First off I thought I was hypo, but not at all; dizzy, sweaty, a bit disorientated, not nice at all. It kind of confirmed to me that I don't want to consume caffeine; might be worth trying?
Yes. I'm gonna cut down on coffee or switch to decaff. I just sometimes need that boost in the morning and only consume 2-4 cups a day. I'll see how to goes, thank you =).

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Be interested to hear how you get on - good luck!