Question regarding recovery of health after diagnosis

Laurieluv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello All!

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! I have been diagnosed for 7 weeks and on treatment for about 5-6 weeks. My A1C was 108. I have since gotten my numbers into a pre-diabetic/non-diabetic range. I have been having some GI issues and I am not on metformin. I have had many tests run and the Doctors keep saying my symptoms are related to the diabetes and I need to have some patience to allow myself to heal. Has anyone had similar experiences? I feel a bit frightened and not sure what to think at this point.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello All!

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy! I have been diagnosed for 7 weeks and on treatment for about 5-6 weeks. My A1C was 108. I have since gotten my numbers into a pre-diabetic/non-diabetic range. I have been having some GI issues and I am not on metformin. I have had many tests run and the Doctors keep saying my symptoms are related to the diabetes and I need to have some patience to allow myself to heal. Has anyone had similar experiences? I feel a bit frightened and not sure what to think at this point.

Hi there. I was totally asymptomatic when diagnosed, so, personally, didn't feel I needed to heal, but others have.

Without too much detail, could you tell me what sort of GI issues you are having? Are you finding yourself spending a lot of time in the loo? If you are, do your, erm,,,,,, "outputs" smell rancid and float? Or, alternatively are you constipated?

Are you bloated? Do you have indigestion, or pain anywhere? Do you have reflux?

Changing our diet can certainly upset the balance in those areas, but it's hard to make any suggestions without a bit more detail, unfortunately.

Having said you have got your blood sugars down into a better range, what are you now eating, and how does that differ from before your diagnosis?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin can be pretty harsh on your guts if your taking it.

Allot of people struggle with it, especially if your on a high dose (1000mg or higher) and it's not the slow release variety.

It seems that what ever diet your on, if your taking it there is a risk it messes with your guts.

I have been lucky but many others not so, after time it can improve, if not seek slow release version.

If your not on Metformin ignore all of the above heh

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello All!

Hi, and well done on getting your blood levels down to near normal levels.
Can you tell us what tests you have had?
What symptoms are you now getting?
What GI issues are you referring to? because some T2s are carb intolerant and even low GI can cause higher spikes.
I surmise that you have lost weight and got your BG down but still getting symptoms.
There are many metabolic conditions that can give you symptoms that are not diabetic.
The bottom line is you need to find out what is causing the symptoms, if it is food and like everyone else who has gone low carb, you have reduced your carbs intake but still your health care advisor would want you eating carbs.

You need to know what is causing the symptoms.

Keep safe

Reactions: Laurieluv

Laurieluv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there. I was totally asymptomatic when diagnosed, so, personally, didn't feel I needed to heal, but others have.

Without too much detail, could you tell me what sort of GI issues you are having? Are you finding yourself spending a lot of time in the loo? If you are, do your, erm,,,,,, "outputs" smell rancid and float? Or, alternatively are you constipated?

Are you bloated? Do you have indigestion, or pain anywhere? Do you have reflux?

Changing our diet can certainly upset the balance in those areas, but it's hard to make any suggestions without a bit more detail, unfortunately.

Having said you have got your blood sugars down into a better range, what are you now eating, and how does that differ from before your diagnosis?

Thank you for the response! Not floating but somewhat smelly. I have started taking an OTC digestive enzyme which helps a little. I was having some indigestion and acid reflux but that has stopped due to prevacid.

Before diagnosis I would have some more moderate carb days vs kind of eating whatever I wanted. Diet was heavy in red meat, bacon, eggs, and typical carbs on occasion rice, beans, pasta, and the occasional sweet. I have cut out red meat completely and wasn’t eating much when first diagnosed. I went into starvation ketosis and have been working to try to stay low carb and moderate fat and protein. I was worried about pancreases at first but they did my enzymes and those showed up fine. Waiting on further testing due to some pain just above my belly button on occasion. I was also concerned about liver but had fibroscan and I have a fatty liver with little to no fibrosis. The only other thing that is different is use of lantus. (My choice while we were testing pancreas and liver). An integrative medicine doctor is wondering about SIBO or SIFO?

Every other doctor I have seen said that the body can take some time adjusting to lowering your sugars and healing from the higher sugars.

Laurieluv

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, and well done on getting your blood levels down to near normal levels.
Can you tell us what tests you have had?
What symptoms are you now getting?
What GI issues are you referring to? because some T2s are carb intolerant and even low GI can cause higher spikes.
I surmise that you have lost weight and got your BG down but still getting symptoms.
There are many metabolic conditions that can give you symptoms that are not diabetic.
The bottom line is you need to find out what is causing the symptoms, if it is food and like everyone else who has gone low carb, you have reduced your carbs intake but still your health care advisor would want you eating carbs.

You need to know what is causing the symptoms.

Keep safe

I have had multiple CBC, lipase, liver and kidney function, CT scan, fibroscan, and endoscopy.

I am having slightly looser stools than I am used to and food isn’t quite as digested at times. The scope diagnosed me with mild gastroparesis, but he didn’t state what he saw in my stomach, they told me I could take my morning vitamins and I wonder if that’s what he saw?

I am pretty low carb/keto at this point and I am finally getting to be “fat adapted”. My ketones were in a more moderate range and are now in the lower range which is not unusual for me I had done the diet years ago when I was a prediabetic and had similar results at that time.

I am really worried it is pancreas or liver though and not sure what to do when the tests keep coming back okay. I was taking kava kava for anxiety and am worried I have damage that the fibroscan couldn’t pick up on or that my pancreas had an attack that the enzymes didn’t go higher until after the blood draw. My pain has never been what the typical description for pancreatitis pain would be. It felt like a punch to the gut rather than the flaming sword straight through my midsection. I’m very confused and somewhat frightened. I appreciate the support from everyone! It means a lot.