Slow climbing readings between meals.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I've been adjusting and working out my ratio for a few weeks now. Found that 2:10 ratio for breakfast and lunch/dinner it's 1:08. 3 hours or so after meals my levels rise slowly until I have my next meal. So lets say I'm 6.6 before eating I'll inject 15 minutes before eating. Then check 2 hours later and it's roughly the same range between 6-7 but about 3-4 hours in it climbs to like 10-12. I'll then have my next meal, adjust a extra dosage or 2 to bring that 12 reading down to the 5-7 range and wait 2 hours and it's stable.

Then it starts to climb again and not sure if my ratio is correct since 2:10 and 1.5:10 ratios sends me into a low 1-2 hours after. So I know my ratio is correct but the climb worries me. My long acting insulin is 23 units of lantus and last time I had 25 units I woke up at 7am with a 3.3 reading.

I take my long acting insulin about 10pm and my fast acting insulin 15 minutes before my meal.

Thank you for reading and any feedback is appreciated. The sudden drops in the graph is when I take my insulin and the spikes are about 3-4 hours later.
Screenshot_20201025-172851_LibreLink.jpg

Last edited:

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... My long acting insulin is 23 units of lantus and last time I had 25 units I woke up at 7am with a 3.3 reading.

I take my long acting insulin about 10pm ...
Have you tried shifting the Lantus shot to the morning? You could also try splitting the dose between evening and morning shots. I take my whole Lantus does in the morning, and it still makes me go hypo the next morning. I have reduced the Lantus down to 11 units and fill the basal insulin gap with Actrapid at mealtimes.

Basal insulin should be such that blood glucose does not rise between meals and doesn't cause hypos. Switching to Levemir, a shorter action basal, and splitting the dose gives more flexibility in ensuring this.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried shifting the Lantus shot to the morning? You could also try splitting the dose between evening and morning shots. I take my whole Lantus does in the morning, and it still makes me go hypo the next morning. I have reduced the Lantus down to 11 units and fill the basal insulin gap with Actrapid at mealtimes.

Basal insulin should be such that blood glucose does not rise between meals and doesn't cause hypos. Switching to Levemir, a shorter action basal, and splitting the dose gives more flexibility in ensuring this.
Yeah I might try splitting it or increasing it slightly. Just noticed past 3 days it always creeps up after 3-4 hours and I yhought my lantus would keep ot stable. I'll start adjusting or splitting tomorrow or so.

Thank you =).

Reactions: MarkMunday

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
You should always start by checking your basal. Have you tried eating a low carb lunch or skipping lunch to see if your blood sugars hold a straight line? If not correct, follow @MarkMunday's post. If your basal is correct, I'd ask how much fat you have in your meal? Sometimes I have to split my fast-acting insulin dose as I eat LCHF, so for the reduced ratio that gives you more insulin shouldn't cause you to hypo in the first 1-2 hours. You have to play with the second dose timings. Good luck. I hope you get it sorted.

Last edited:

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you and I tend to not really have much carbs. Like for dinner tonight I'm having a total of 20 carbs with a saldad and eggs. My blood levels due rise if I dont have a meal. In the morning it can rise from 6.6 to 10.5 within 1 hour of waking up but I heard thats due to liver dumping glucose to start your body for the day.

You recommend that I skip lunch tomorrow? And see if it rises after breakfast when I dose it for that meal?

And if it does stable between breakfast and dinner does that mean the lantus long acting dosage is fine?

Thank you =)

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television

Agree with this, 80% of short acting should have been used up after 3 hours so the focus needs to be on the long acting. I initially had 1 dose at bed of lantus but not long after that went to twice daily in the advice of my endocrinologists day and that worked very well. Have been on 1 daily dose on Toujeo for 12 months.

Reactions: MarkMunday