Hi - newly diagnosed

Maggie75

Hi everyone,

Been to see nurse today who has confirmed a diabetes type 2 diagnosis, I'm confused, shocked and furious at myself for letting my weight and eating get so out of control. My hcb1a (think that's right) was 66 and she's told me I need to get it under 50. I've been given metformin to take, I asked if I could just try diet and exercise to start but nurse said because I am displaying symptoms (extreme tiredness), she was putting me straight onto medication. Also got paperwork advising to take carbs with every meal in moderation which I know contradicts what I've read on this forum. I'm now so confused, also forgot to ask her about the benefits of purchasing a blood glucose meter to test myself and if there were any contraindications with the meds I take just now (cerazette and levothyroxine for underactive thyroid). Can anyone help with this? Sorry for long post, I'm just trying to take all of this in. Thanks.

Maggie

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. Have a look at the link in my signature.

She will probably tell you a meter is not necessary, most of us self fund.

Maggie75

Thanks for your reply, what kind of meter is best if you don't mind, there's so many on Amazon I wouldn't know where to start.

Maggie

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take thyroxine and all I do is to take it early and avoid mixing it with the cream in my coffee or on the berries I eat.
You might find that the Metformin causes digestive upsets and they can be quite nasty. How it would help with extreme tiredness, I am not sure, but if you stop eating the carbs particularly those from very starchy or sugary foods you should feel more energised almost at once.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your reply, what kind of meter is best if you don't mind, there's so many on Amazon I wouldn't know where to start.

Maggie
You might prefer to go directly to Spirit Healthcare site, rather than through a third party. If you sign up on the website and then wait a message is sien (an email)to confirm you are a diabetic and then you can order free of VAT.
I have been told that if you phone and put in an order for a number of tubs of the strips they will give you the meter free.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there @Maggie75 and welcome!

You asked about meters. Here’s some details which should give you a decent choice:

There are a few popular ones used by type 2s on here. As we often have to self-fund, the cost of the strips is important as they’ll be what you spend most on.

The Tee2+ from Spirit Healthcare which has cheap strips (not the cheapest strips but very reasonable): http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here: http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/ I got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order the meter and 10 boxes of strips and they threw the meter in for free. Phone number 0800 8815423

The meter with the cheapest strips is the SD Codefree. Strips need to be bought in bulk using the codes below and the manufacturer is in the process of switching people over to a new model (see below). http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/ and here for the extra strips http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/Discount codes for bulk orders:

5 packs 264086
10 packs 975833

Also from Spirit Healthcare, with more expensive strips than the Tee2+ is their Caresens Dual. This can be used for testing ketones too (strips for that very expensive). https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently brought out a new meter, the Navii, which will eventually replace the Codefree. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/glucose-navii-blood-glucose-test-strips-50-strip-pack/. https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/gluconavii-blood-sugar-meter-glucose-monitor-starter-kit/ The latest news from Home Health states:

"We have a special promotion for switching Codefree customers to the GlucoNavii, whereby if you buy a meter with 2 or more packs of strips from the below link and add the discount code "dcuk" at checkout, we will subtract the price of the meter.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

So far as food is concerned, reducing carbs will be your friend. Take a look at dietdoctor.com for ideas and information.

Reactions: Bex72

rilakkuma02

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi everyone,

Been to see nurse today who has confirmed a diabetes type 2 diagnosis, I'm confused, shocked and furious at myself for letting my weight and eating get so out of control. My hcb1a (think that's right) was 66 and she's told me I need to get it under 50. I've been given metformin to take, I asked if I could just try diet and exercise to start but nurse said because I am displaying symptoms (extreme tiredness), she was putting me straight onto medication. Also got paperwork advising to take carbs with every meal in moderation which I know contradicts what I've read on this forum. I'm now so confused, also forgot to ask her about the benefits of purchasing a blood glucose meter to test myself and if there were any contraindications with the meds I take just now (cerazette and levothyroxine for underactive thyroid). Can anyone help with this? Sorry for long post, I'm just trying to take all of this in. Thanks.

Maggie

Hi, Maggie,
Sorry to hear that you are confused and shocked by the news. I was diagnosed about 7 weeks ago and been through the same emotionally. Want to let you know that here is great help people are all very understanding and giving great advice too.

Do not self blaming too much( Although I done the same for few days) Taking actions and cutting carbs including refined sugar is the key. I am not saying I am doing great, there are still good days and some bad ones too. but mostly I am restricted with I can have and I manage my BG level in pre-diabetic level now(used to be 65 when the GP told me). Setting a goal like to take meds off the list before your next check- up is a good motivation.
Try focus things you can do right now and try to stay away from stress.
Finally let us hope we can achieve one day just like others did in here to put diabetes in remission.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings Maggie

There are members here who were diagnosed with a HbA1c in the 100's who have got their bloods back to non-diabetic levels in a matter of months.
You say you have been eating poorly & put on weight.
If weight is your trigger then weight loss & exercise will be your cure.
Don't worry about any fad diets, start reducing carbs, walk 30 mins everyday & you'll see the weight fall off.

Soon you'll be in the best shape of your life.
Get your meter & eat to your meter, good luck.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Maggie
Hi Maggie,

I started out considerably higher than you, and had my blood sugars back down in the normal range right-quick, just by cutting carbs. Three months in I could quit all meds and still remained well in the normal range. The medication I was put on didn't agree with me at all, so that's why I went that route to begin with. All in all your nurse is going to give you very different advice than what the bulk of us practice on here. Mandatory carbs with every meal... Maybe, if you were on gliclazide, but not on metformin. There's practically no risk of hypo's on metformin, so carbs can be cut safely.

I know it's confusing, but.... If you feel like you don't know whom to listen to anymore, random strangers on the internet or a nurse who's supposed to be keeping up to date with recent developments (but doesn't seem to be, sadly), well.... Trust in your meter! It won't try to sell you on anything, it'll just tell you what is working for you and what isn't, nothing more and nothing less. An impartial tool can help you separate the sense from the nonsense. You've already gotten the link to the Nutritional Thingy, so I'll not knock you over the head with it again, but... Figure out what works for you. Question everything and anything, experiment as much as you can tolerate.

And by the way.... When I was diagnosed I could barely move. My husband had to cut my meat because I didn't have the strength to, the muscle weakness and fatigue were that bad. Now I haul camera equipment around for hours every weekend. Or, well, did, before Corona became a pandemic. You get the idea. It can get better.

Good luck,
Jo

Reactions: Salvia
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone,

Maggie

Hello and welcome :)

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

You've been given great advice above.

For me the diagnosis was devastating. It was at least 2 weeks before I wasn't in tears about it every day. Now a year and a bit later my blood sugars have been in the normal range for over a year, I've lost weight and my asthma has gone- so while my world has changed -it didn't end and I'm okay.

I agree with the advice on trusting your meter- it doesn't have any biases. I have managed my diabetes by going very low carb- I admit I struggled with it at first but for me the possible consequences of diabetes was worse than the loss of carbs. I also find that by sticking to very low cabs I have a lower mental load with what I eat. I spent a lot of years calorie counting and mould lose weight and put it all back on again. Now because I stick to eating only very low carb food I usually don't have to count anything carbs or calories and I have lost over 30kgs. I've got more to lose and I am confident that if I actually started counting the calories while keeping low carb I could lose more quicker than I am at present but I am still losing (slowly) while not counting anything and so am staying on that. My work is really stressful so not having a mental load about food is actually good.

The diagnosis can feel terrible- don't beat yourself up. The advice from the medical professionals for people with a susceptibility to carbs tends to make us more overweight and less healthy- but don't take my word for it- get a meter and test. Again most doctors think that you don't need top test- mine didn't. But that is because they see it as a progressive disease. I don't think it is necessarily a progressive disease for everyone and even if it was the ability to slow the progression is a good thing.

Welcome to the forum, read around and post. I can safely say that this forum is the best thing about my diagnosis- better than my weight loss and better than getting rid of my asthma though they are also great. The people here are so supportive and generous with their time and advice.

Good luck.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Maggie
Hi & welcome Maggie. I have T1, but I've been taking thyroxine as my under-active thyroid was diagnosed at the same time (35 years ago). It's supposed to be taken first thing with half an hour before eating anything; I'm not alwyas quite that rigid but thereabouts. You may well find that this alone will help with your feeling of fatigue. Good luck with adjusting to your diagnosis.

DiabeticZoe

BANNED
Hi everyone,

Maggie

Welcome to the club :(
The beginning might be the hardest, but it is manageable - only takes time! First of all, just try to learn simple diabetes management rules, and once you get a little bit better after taking medicine, you can start digging deeper into foods and regimes that might help :) I always try to do these things:
  • Low-carb balanced diet. Increase the number of unprocessed foods, including vegetables and whole grains. Reduce the amounts of high-fat or sugary foods and drinks. Aim to eat varied and balanced meals and stay within your calorie budget. It is even better to get personalized diet - later I could share which ones I have tried.
  • Regular meals and small portions. Ensure that you keep your blood sugar levels at bay, eating frequent, smaller meals. Drink enough water each day.
  • Daily workouts. Dedicate at least 30 minutes per day to working out. It can be anything from walking, going to gym to gardening. I know you mentioned that currently you are too tired, but once you get better, it will help!
  • Controlled stress. Try out meditation or mindfulness exercises to reduce stress and anxiety. Managing stress will help you to become more focused and faster improve your health.
  • High-quality sleep. Rest is necessary for you to manage diabetes because your muscles recover after exercise while sleeping, and your digestive tract has enough time to digest your food. Set up a routine and ensure that you get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.

Stay strong and get better soon!!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the club :(
The beginning might be the hardest, but it is manageable - only takes time! First of all, just try to learn simple diabetes management rules, and once you get a little bit better after taking medicine, you can start digging deeper into foods and regimes that might help :) I always try to do these things:
  • Low-carb balanced diet. Increase the number of unprocessed foods, including vegetables and whole grains. Reduce the amounts of high-fat or sugary foods and drinks. Aim to eat varied and balanced meals and stay within your calorie budget. It is even better to get personalized diet - later I could share which ones I have tried.
  • Regular meals and small portions. Ensure that you keep your blood sugar levels at bay, eating frequent, smaller meals. Drink enough water each day.
  • Daily workouts. Dedicate at least 30 minutes per day to working out. It can be anything from walking, going to gym to gardening. I know you mentioned that currently you are too tired, but once you get better, it will help!
  • Controlled stress. Try out meditation or mindfulness exercises to reduce stress and anxiety. Managing stress will help you to become more focused and faster improve your health.
  • High-quality sleep. Rest is necessary for you to manage diabetes because your muscles recover after exercise while sleeping, and your digestive tract has enough time to digest your food. Set up a routine and ensure that you get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep each night.

Stay strong and get better soon!!!
Two small comments: a lot of us have one or two meals a day, little to no snacks. Because every time you eat, you demand an insulin response from your pancreas. It's usually better to give the poor thing a break, it'll also help with insulin sensitivity, getting the level off the stuff lower over all... Mind you, when I first started out I had 3 meals and 3 snacks a day like clockwork. Turned out not to work so well for me, am now at 2 meals a day. Also... Whole grains are just as bad as processed. Still causes a spike, so going without grains entirely'd be better, depending on how bad off you are. (Some get away with a little, some get away with none. I'm in the none camp, sadly. A meter'll tell you.)

Reactions: DiabeticZoe

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
(Some get away with a little, some get away with none. I'm in the none camp, sadly. A meter'll tell you.)
You’ve completely reflected my own year-long experience dealing with my loopy, crazy Endocrine system. Using a Meter to get/acquire evidence-based results is crucial and therefore essential to adjustment/readjustment of my diet. And that’s your other comment, right there, are my own experiences too, as I daily reflect on my failures and successes. Analysis - metering - and then Adjustment - discovering NEW and exciting meals.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Another here on either one or two meals a day- the only way for me to control my levels and lose weight. I'm also very low carb- no grains for me. I usually eat less than 10 grams of carbs a day.

I agree- use a meter- it is absolutely reliable evidence on how your body is doing. I suggest not having frequent meals as I completely agree with what @JoKalsbeek said to give your pancreas a break. I started off at three meals a day but do better with fewer meals- I found with very low carb I am much less likely to feel hungry.

Good luck.

Maggie75

Hi again everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replies and advice, sorry for the radio silence, spent the last few days feeling absolutely rubbish, Woke up on Thursday with one of the worst headaches of my life, so bad I had to leave work early and go lie in a darkened room with an eye mask on to get any relief, wasn't a migraine, honestly think it was my body detoxing from all the junk I've been eating! Took a full 24 hours for headache to shift at all. Started taking half a metformin on Thursday, prescribed 2 a day but I was very nervous about taking that much, felt pretty ok with that, no stomach upset or other side effects. Upped dose to 1 tablet today after having 2 scrambled eggs (advised to take immediately after food). Really wasn't feeling great after that, absolutely exhausted and breathing was a little out of wack but that seems to be calming down now thank goodness. Think I'm going back to half a tablet tomorrow, the possible side effects are freaking me out with this. Also struggling with food, just don't know what I can have, I know everyone here is advising low carb, I just don't know if I can give up my carbs! Lol. Have pretty much been following a slimming world plan which I've done a couple of times before and has always resulted in a good weight loss for me, am I just going completely in the wrong direction with this? Thanks again.

Maggie

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again everyone,

Thanks so much for all your replies and advice, sorry for the radio silence, spent the last few days feeling absolutely rubbish, Woke up on Thursday with one of the worst headaches of my life, so bad I had to leave work early and go lie in a darkened room with an eye mask on to get any relief, wasn't a migraine, honestly think it was my body detoxing from all the junk I've been eating! Took a full 24 hours for headache to shift at all. Started taking half a metformin on Thursday, prescribed 2 a day but I was very nervous about taking that much, felt pretty ok with that, no stomach upset or other side effects. Upped dose to 1 tablet today after having 2 scrambled eggs (advised to take immediately after food). Really wasn't feeling great after that, absolutely exhausted and breathing was a little out of wack but that seems to be calming down now thank goodness. Think I'm going back to half a tablet tomorrow, the possible side effects are freaking me out with this. Also struggling with food, just don't know what I can have, I know everyone here is advising low carb, I just don't know if I can give up my carbs! Lol. Have pretty much been following a slimming world plan which I've done a couple of times before and has always resulted in a good weight loss for me, am I just going completely in the wrong direction with this? Thanks again.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,

I hear you on the "can I give up my carbs?" front... I didn't know what to eat at first either, and yes, you could be experiencing keto flu... Get some electrolytes in you, salt especially, as carbs hold on to water. The moment you lower the carb intake, the electrolytes flush out right along with the water they held on to, so you're probably a little dehydrated, hence the maddening headache. Bone broth or coconut milk should help, if you don't want to go for supplements. Anyway, carbs.. They're addictive by nature. They trigger the same areas in the brain hard drugs to, so.... If they were easy to give up, everyone'd do it. Once you've gone cold turkey though, you don't miss them all that much. The cravings go, but you'd have to stick with it for a while. Extra perk, besides losing weight and getting lower blood sugars: your palette changes. Food tastes so much better when you cut carbs! (Seiously... I used to think 99% Lindt chocolate was bitter. Now I can actually find a sweet note in there.)

Slimming world... Yeah.... Not designed for diabetics. Too many carbs in that. So while it might help you lose weight again, it won't keep your blood sugars within range, and will not get you in remission nor medication/complication free. Low carb would, in all likelihood. But that's the kind of choices you have to make now. We gain weight because there's too much glucose in our blood that we can't burn off anymore, so it just gets stored in fat cells. It's not the chicken-egg thing it seems to be... The weight came on because diabetes was developing. Treat the diabetes and the weight'll come off again.

So these are your choices: Stick with the carbs, and count on metformin to fix everything. (It won't. You'll need more medication along the way, but it IS a valid choice for people who just can't do without their carbs for whatever reason. Carbs have a cost though, so make an informed decision whatever you do!). Or you could cut some carbs, not all, and keep the metformin going, find a balance that way. Or just go low carb and be able to skip the metformin and its side effects. While a lot of us are rather gung ho about low carb, it is a choice we made at some point. Some right from the get-go, some once medication became problematic, or complications arose. And some of us don't low carb at all, or just a little bit. That's the thing: you find out what works for you. Together with your meter.

Good luck!
Jo

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome - you have been given excellent advice above.

I was higher than you at diagnosis over 3 years ago with Hb1Ac around 85 - like you I didn't want to take medication so I didn't - and have been in remission shortly thereafter by cutting down on carbs and keeping active - have a look at my signature/journey :) and I have lost around 3 stone since then also. Take care and look after yourself.

Maggie75

Thanks so much for your replies, lots of good advice there. I will have to try and really cut back on the carbs, not sure I could give them up completely but I can certainly try! Lol. A friend whose husband is diabetic advised to look at sugars from carbohydrates on packaging for everything and I'm looking for under 5 grams, seems to make sense to me, is this good advice? Just did big shopping at aldi, bought lots of meat for dinners, now to figure out what I can have with it?! Thanks again.

Maggie