Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not very "rock & roll."

But I did get some rather natty Scandinavian style moon boots...

20201226_003847.jpg

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely nothing! As a family we agreed it’s a waste of money. More important that we see and hug when this pandemic is over. Though did buy a gift for grandson. It was strangely liberating. Didn’t send cards either. All post coming into ours is quarantined so is an inconvenience. Asked people not to bother. Plus not good for the planet. Husband and I haven’t exchanged gifts for years. As long as we are together eating a nice meal with a bottle of good red that’s all that’s needed. It all sounds like bah humbug, but we are very happy, relaxed, and not in debt. A win Win I would say.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love that
They are my favourite and brings back happy Christmas memories.
Not ferrets of course :)
The recipe i have i hadn't actually tried myself, so I had a bit of a play today. The original uses very ripe avocado but I didnt have one of those so this is what I ended up with for about 6 ferrero rocher lookalikes
In a small pot in the microwave (I use a ramekin) heat 30 g of double cream with a quarter teaspoon of erythitol. Then add finely chopped 85% or more dark chocolate. Stir until chocolate melts then let it cool in fridge.
When it has firmed up a bit, finely chop 6 hazelnuts and keep 6 more whole hazelnuts to one side.
Take a teaspoon of the chocolate mix, flatten it slightly, put whole hazelnut in the middle and wrap the chocolate around it. Roll in the chopped nuts. Keep in the fridge or freezer.
You can easily make the recipe larger. Just keep weight of chocolate and cream the same as each other.
You could also melt extra chocolate and dip the balls into it, then into the chopped nuts to give a harder 'shell'
Hope you enjoy.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My lego set is due out of quarantine shortly. It's my first set and at nearly 66 yod I hope I have time to finish it. 9,036 pieces. Might have bitten off more than I can chew.

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Me and my husband told other family not to bother getting us anything and we just got a few bits for each other, which was great, we didn't get alcohol we wouldn't drink and chocolates and biscuits we shouldn't eat but do and other stuff we don't want or need :rolleyes:
That said I got some warm pyjama bottoms with festive dogs on and some merino thermal leggings from my husband :D

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Like @Ryhia I got a large amount of low carb things from my lovely daughter.:)

It included things like mixes for low carb bread, doughnuts and pizza bases. I was so thankful for the caring that went into them. My soon to be daughter-in-law made some low carb truffles that were very nice so overall I was very spoilt!

I am so glad that the shops are starting to stop more low carb options- with my genes I'm assuming that my kids will have to end up low caring at some stage- my daughter is vegan so will be a bit trickier for her. However- having seen me and the struggle to go low carb but the success it gives I hope their journey will be a low easier. My sisiter-in-law also made sure there was food for both me and my daughter at the family Christmas- very considerate. I did see ulcers on one of my brother's legs and know another also has them- will have to share more about low carb with them. A bit of a challenge mentally for me- they know I'm low carb but not my diagnosis as I felt so ashamed when diagnosed and so upset and emotional that I wasn't ab Loe to share it with them. Time to actually do it though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll need a converter for measurements and temperatures, let alone alternatives for some ingredients.
Overall I've now over 800 new ideas to add variety to low carbing.

View attachment 46490

a while back I got tired of constantly looking up the various conversions, and I splashed out on some fridge magnets from eBay that list them. I’ve got one that does oven temperatures stuck to the side of the extractor fan and one for cups/oz/g stuck to the side of the microwave.

They make life much simpler... :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As for Xmas pressies, the surprise winner was from Mr B. An electric lap rug. You know you are getting old when your joints ache with cold, don’t you? I fear that it has cemented my Old Lady status, but I have no regrets.

it is GLORIOUS.

I have 7 heat levels and can set it to automatically turn off after 1-6 hours. It is thick sumptuous fleece, washable, and the dogs are taking turns sitting with me, then going to sprawl on the cool floor, then returning for another snuggle. It is fab.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My latest addition is 300 snowdrop bulbs, in the green, to be delivered in a couple of weeks.

That'll keep me out of mischief, getting those planted.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Got a new treadmill... my old one died a few months back. Too hot to walk the dog after lunch and most of the day this time of year. On a side note. my wife's cat likes to lay on it.... till I turn it on.

Attachments

• 5fdffd42a1a42245491970.jpg
    5fdffd42a1a42245491970.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 163
Reactions: Goonergal

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got a new treadmill... my old one died a few months back. Too hot to walk the dog after lunch and most of the day this time of year. On a side note. my wife's cat likes to lay on it.... till I turn it on.
Put the dog on it!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
From various Santa's; lovely carni treats, 99% and 100% Lindt chocolate bars, 2 new fast memory cards for my camera's, an egg guillotine, and fun oven mitts with cats on.

There's a gift stuck in the post ordered from Italy, a limited edition cat art giclee print. But I do know it's coming, one of these days, so still get to look forward to that.

Excellent haul, if you ask me! :)

I'm really wanting to see this egg guillotine :)