No insulin available at the mo, is it ok to eat today ??

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got rid of my insulin yesterday afternoon ( mental health problems and have to wait until tomorrow now to get it )

I missed out my evening nova rapid yesterday before eating a whole pepperoni pizza . I also missed my lantas . And will have missed all of today’s doses ( have checked for ketones , it’s 0.0)

I also have run out of blood glucose testing strips ( again , will get these tomorrow )

Is there a big chance I could get High ketones ? Is it ok to eat say , an omelette ( guessing low carbs ) for example ?

I had a medium cappuccino and a cheese and ham toaster when out earlier .

thank you :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you call 111 - if you are in the UK (I think you are) they may be able to sort you out an emergency prescription you can pick up tonight, no insulin is dangerous for a Type1

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got rid of my insulin yesterday afternoon ( mental health problems and have to wait until tomorrow now to get it )

I missed out my evening nova rapid yesterday before eating a whole pepperoni pizza . I also missed my lantas . And will have missed all of today’s doses ( have checked for ketones , it’s 0.0)

I also have run out of blood glucose testing strips ( again , will get these tomorrow )

Is there a big chance I could get High ketones ? Is it ok to eat say , an omelette ( guessing low carbs ) for example ?

I had a medium cappuccino and a cheese and ham toaster when out earlier .

thank you :)

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you call 111 - if you are in the UK (I think you are) they may be able to sort you out an emergency prescription you can pick up tonight, no insulin is dangerous for a Type1

Hi,

we called 111 a few times , we now have a barcode to use to get the prescription tomorrow

I have only recently been diagnosed as a type 1 . If I do not get ketones , could that suggest LADA as I think I read they are less likely to go into DKA

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sorry you are struggling so much. Have you ordered new insulin supplies as these should be available immediately in such an emergency.

You could call 111 and be directed to the community pharmacy consultation service, you should then be able to access insulin & testing strips tonight.

At times when I have not wanted to take insulin for one reason or another I’ve just eaten something below 10g of carbs an omelette is a good example, you could add bacon too.

If you are 100% picking up insulin tomorrow I would just keep checking ketones & limit carbs, if your not I’d go to the hassle of calling 111 & being referred to a late night pharmacy.

Please try to take care of yourself

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Few times I haven't realised ive ran out of supplies & ive rang 111 and they direct me somewhere to pick up supplies within the hour.

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. LADA and T1 are effectively the same thing except LADA is late onset T1 and can come on quite slowly. Either can go into DKA if blood sugar is too high with ketones. BTW watch the cappuccinos as they can be high in sugar. Yes, keep the carbs way down until you get the insulin sorted.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi,

we called 111 a few times , we now have a barcode to use to get the prescription tomorrow

I have only recently been diagnosed as a type 1 . If I do not get ketones , could that suggest LADA as I think I read they are less likely to go into DKA
I never had keytone the reason was that my body was still producing a very small amount of insulin.. not enough to prevent high bg but enough that my body got a little benefit from the food I ate.. high bg alone is not a cause of keytones.

If your recently diagnosed you could still be honeymooning which is where your pancreas works on and off.. or LADA as you suggest.. ultimately the 2 are the same.. except the onset of LADA is slower but the end results will be producing no insulin

Whether you are t1 or LADA makes little difference to you and its not something worth worrying about as the treatment for both is the same.

I'm not trying to sound harsh when I say this... but where you need to put your effort now is getting on top of your treatment and medication so that your long term prospects are as good as they can be...

Don't feel guilty or down about having a few bad days.. we all have them even those of us that have had to deal with the situation for many years.. being diagnosed is not a death sentence. It just adds a few complications to life.. complications that get easier over time

If you are suffering mental health issues thats nothing to be ashamed of.. the fact that you have openly stated you are suffering suggests you are aware. And offered getting people to accept they have issues is the hardest part. there are routes you can go to get help for this. You can self refer for NHS talking therapies etc for example.

So I hope you manage to resolve your issues and wish you all the best

Reactions: KK123