At home glucose tolerance test

FelkaKate

I'm tempted to do my own glucose tolerance test with 75g sugar solution after being told not diabetic from blood results of fasting (4.2 nmol) and a1c (29) but still having other symptoms (none healing toe sore, tingling feet and legs, yeast infection). Doctor appointment isn't for a while and I'd like to see in the interim. I've got a monitor and have been testing after meals but thinking of doing a more 'scientific' one. Did do one with about 50g of sugar (in energy bar form) and went up to 7.9 after 1hr then came down to 5.8 after 2hrs.

Has anyone done this and any tips please? Is it only the 2hr result that matters? What if it spikes up to 10/11 and then comes down to under 7.8? Thanks in advance :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try but as most people diagnosed with T2 would kill for those numbers it seems fairly clear you highly likely don't have diabetes.

If you want to do the test at home no-one can stop you.

The drink the NHS uses is called Rapilose and contains 75g of glucose in an orangey flavoured drink form.

My results from 2 1/2 years ago looked like this. Measured every 15 minutes.. this was using a SD Codefree meter which seemed to read quite high so maybe the absolute levels should be 0.5 to 1 mmol/l lower.

Edit to add this was about 21 months after diagnosis after following an ultra low carb Intermittent fasting way of eating.

Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 12.35.19.png

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm tempted to do my own glucose tolerance test with 75g sugar solution after being told not diabetic from blood results of fasting (4.2 nmol) and a1c (29) but still having other symptoms (none healing toe sore, tingling feet and legs, yeast infection). Doctor appointment isn't for a while and I'd like to see in the interim. I've got a monitor and have been testing after meals but thinking of doing a more 'scientific' one. Did do one with about 50g of sugar (in energy bar form) and went up to 7.9 after 1hr then came down to 5.8 after 2hrs.

Has anyone done this and any tips please? Is it only the 2hr result that matters? What if it spikes up to 10/11 and then comes down to under 7.8? Thanks in advance :)
I don't think it sounds like diabetes.... Not with numbers like that. Yeast infections happen. (Usually caused by synthetic material in underwear. Cotton's best, and sleeping in the buff so things don't get too hot/humid as you sleep. And if it happens often after sex, having a wee immediately afterwards helps prevent recurrence.). The non-healing sore and tingling sound more like a circulation issue. Are your hands and feet always cold? Do you have Reynaud's or Sjögren's? Thyroid okay? There is so very much that could be going on that's not diabetes related... I think you're barking up the wrong tree, but you do want to go back to the doc about these symptoms. The infection and sore need treatment, as those aren't going away on their own (clotrimazol for the vaginal issue and another anti-inflammatory for the sore, would be my guess), and you might want to get a full blood panel done to find out what's going on. You're not going to discover any of the possible (and treatable!!!) issues with a glucose tolerance test, I'm afraid. Sorry. :(

M

Member496333

We need to stop obsessing over glucose. The elephant in the room is insulin. If anyone wants a real early warning of inbound glycemic problems then it's far more effective to have a fasting insulin test. Glucose doesn't mean squat if it's being maintained by truck loads of insulin and may start overflowing any day.

But honestly, with those numbers it doesn't seem at all likely that you have metabolic problems.

Reactions: FelkaKate

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to make a sugar solution. You might as well enjoy it. Just make some normal white rice (not quick-rice, micro-zoom etc) and have 200g rice with something you like. Contains 62-80g carbohydrates depending what you eat with it.
Or 200g instant potato mash or 200g old potatoes + something to go with it.
For these foods my blood sugar would be 11-13mmol/L 2 hours later.

FelkaKate

You could try but as most people diagnosed with T2 would kill for those numbers it seems fairly clear you highly likely don't have diabetes.

If you want to do the test at home no-one can stop you.

The drink the NHS uses is called Rapilose and contains 75g of glucose in an orangey flavoured drink form.

My results from 2 1/2 years ago looked like this. Measured every 15 minutes.. this was using a SD Codefree meter which seemed to read quite high so maybe the absolute levels should be 0.5 to 1 mmol/l lower.

Edit to add this was about 21 months after diagnosis after following an ultra low carb Intermittent fasting way of eating.

View attachment 38541
Thanks for sharing - finding it such a minefield to wade through and this is really helpful in understanding. I'm just confused - some sources seem to say nondiabetics don't go over 8.6 nmol even with lots of carbs. I tested 9.something after a fairly generic medium-carb stew recently though other times a peanut butter sandwich will only make it go up to 6 something. I might be looking in completely the wrong direction but also don't want to overlook

FelkaKate

No need to make a sugar solution. You might as well enjoy it. Just make some normal white rice (not quick-rice, micro-zoom etc) and have 200g rice with something you like. Contains 62-80g carbohydrates depending what you eat with it.
Or 200g instant potato mash or 200g old potatoes + something to go with it.
For these foods my blood sugar would be 11-13mmol/L 2 hours later.
Ah thanks, that's a good idea and may feel a bit better than just drinking 75g glucose

FelkaKate

I don't think it sounds like diabetes.... Not with numbers like that. Yeast infections happen. (Usually caused by synthetic material in underwear. Cotton's best, and sleeping in the buff so things don't get too hot/humid as you sleep. And if it happens often after sex, having a wee immediately afterwards helps prevent recurrence.). The non-healing sore and tingling sound more like a circulation issue. Are your hands and feet always cold? Do you have Reynaud's or Sjögren's? Thyroid okay? There is so very much that could be going on that's not diabetes related... I think you're barking up the wrong tree, but you do want to go back to the doc about these symptoms. The infection and sore need treatment, as those aren't going away on their own (clotrimazol for the vaginal issue and another anti-inflammatory for the sore, would be my guess), and you might want to get a full blood panel done to find out what's going on. You're not going to discover any of the possible (and treatable!!!) issues with a glucose tolerance test, I'm afraid. Sorry. :(

Thanks - think I will request full bloods as something definitely isn't right. Guess I can only find out through nose doctor trips and investigation. Whilst I'm glad I'm some ways it may not be diabetes, at least then I had an action plan in mind. I'm a bit overweight and thinking of going lower carbs and exercising more would benefit health whatever it is I suppose. My hands and feet are pretty cold a lot though we live in a draughty house which often hovers around 14/15 degrees Celsius at the moment so I assumed that was that, but could be another piece of the puzzle

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
nondiabetics don't go over 8.6 nmol even with lots of carbs. I tested 9.something after a fairly generic medium-carb stew recently though other times a peanut butter sandwich will only make it go up to 6 something.

I think part of the problem is that so few "normals" ever measure their blood sugar that its very hard to say and with so many of the population being metabolically challenged then we don't really know what "normal" is any more.

With your HbA1c and FBG being so good it is hard to see how you could be diagnosed (you wouldn't be by a UK HCP) maybe if you do the OGTT then it will be the final confirmation for you?

Last edited:
Reactions: FelkaKate

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks - think I will request full bloods as something definitely isn't right. Guess I can only find out through nose doctor trips and investigation. Whilst I'm glad I'm some ways it may not be diabetes, at least then I had an action plan in mind. I'm a bit overweight and thinking of going lower carbs and exercising more would benefit health whatever it is I suppose. My hands and feet are pretty cold a lot though we live in a draughty house which often hovers around 14/15 degrees Celsius at the moment so I assumed that was that, but could be another piece of the puzzle
Rest assured, other conditions can have an action plan too... ;) Just have to figure it out. The cold could certainly impact your circulation, and if you want to lose weight, then low carb and exercise are still a good plan.

Hugs,
Jo

FelkaKate

Rest assured, other conditions can have an action plan too... ;) Just have to figure it out. The cold could certainly impact your circulation, and if you want to lose weight, then low carb and exercise are still a good plan.

Hugs,
Jo
Hehe, you're quite right and draught-proofing and losing weight are probably sensible either way! Take care

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was under the impression that one could not have diabetes but suffer from glucose spikes, prior to diagnosis. I think this is the video but apologies if this is incorrect. It’s filmed in a way that sounds a bit rubbish but the message is there that apparently “normal” people can get a huge spike.

Beating-My-Betes

Not sure of the policy on necro-ing threads, here. But i took the chance that it was preferable to starting a new, similar thread.

I would also like to know how to make a home solution, using white table sugar. I'm not necessarily looking for accurate readings as much as I am looking for easily repeatable tests, to establish relative readings/trends. I had originally planned to use juice, but I think that there would likely be more variability in sugar content between different batches of fruit than there would be via table sugar.

So, how many grams of whit, granulated sugar would be appropriate? Also, I've seen recommendations that the test be taken after 9 hours of nil-by-mouth (i.e not even water) fasting, but other recommendations permit water. Which is preferable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

EDITED, to add: I also have really good quality maple syrup, if that would make for a better solution.

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
I got a packet of glucose powder from a place called "bulk Powders" online for about £6. I think it was 500g but maybe a kilo. There is also one called Rapido that you can buy online but I think that gives you only the one test and costs about £11.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Fast-acting glucose would be preferable to be able to get a result that you can compare against OGTT standard charts. For example, Lucozade is what I was given for mine at the hospital, and I recommend it in terms of a pleasant drink, although sugar dissolved in water would do the trick.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes

Beating-My-Betes

I got a packet of glucose powder from a place called "bulk Powders" online for about £6. I think it was 500g but maybe a kilo. There is also one called Rapido that you can buy online but I think that gives you only the one test and costs about £11.

Thanks! Been looking more into this, and it seems that glucose/dextrose is probably the right way to go. Unfortunately, I'm not sure i could get it via online, quick enough. Either plan to do the test tomorrow, or day after. I know i can buy glucose solution gels/packs or tablets at chemists, so may try that.

Thanks, again.

Beating-My-Betes

Fast-acting glucose would be preferable to be able to get a result that you can compare against OGTT standard charts. For example, Lucozade is what I was given for mine at the hospital, and I recommend it in terms of a pleasant drink, although sugar dissolved in water would do the trick.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/oral-glucose-tolerance-test.html

Thanks!

Lucozade is not commonly available in Spain, and ordering it via Amazon would incur crazy high delivery costs. I used to carry emergency glucose packs/gels, just in case, so might look into those. I'm not against using sugar, though. I'm just doubting their efficacy as compared to glucose. Having said that, I'm just looking to set a bar with which i can compare future improvements, so maybe it's not a problem whatever I choose...just as long as I keep using the same thing for future tests.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks!

Lucozade is not commonly available in Spain, and ordering it via Amazon would incur crazy high delivery costs. I used to carry emergency glucose packs/gels, just in case, so might look into those. I'm not against using sugar, though. I'm just doubting their efficacy as compared to glucose. Having said that, I'm just looking to set a bar with which i can compare future improvements, so maybe it's not a problem whatever I choose...just as long as I keep using the same thing for future tests.
Table sugar is 50:50 glucose and fructose.. so you'd need 150g of table sugar.
Then again that would give your liver a nasty infusion of 75g of fructose...

Reactions: Beating-My-Betes