low carb or gluten free

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good afternoon all

i think i have a problem with eating to many carbs and i was wandering what the best approach either go low carb or gluten free. im waiting to go on the dafne course but need blood test first but with everything thats going on at mo im a bit scared to go to the drs surgery for the blood tests. im type 2 but im on slow acting and fast acting insulin. i start work at 2am and have breakfast before i leave around 1am then i have a 15 min break where i have something to eat then when i get home and get my son off to school i have something to eat then which is normally cereal like porridge or suger free muesli i checked my levels at break and i was 17 on my blood meter i know this is too high. can anyone help please

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not do both low carb and gluten free and see if you can ditch the insulin ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to be confident in managing your insulin dose yourself if you want to go it alone.
Do you think you are?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
As far as I know going gluten free does nothing to reduce blood glucose.

You can eat at least as many carbohydrates on a gluten free diet and it is the carbohydrates which do the damage.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you on fixed insulin doses or do you vary depending on what you eat?
Are you carb counting to determine what your insulin dose should be.
yes im on fixed doses at mo but im being referred to dafne course

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As far as I know going gluten free does nothing to reduce blood glucose.
Correct, in fact gluten free stuff can often have more carbs in it than normal stuff - I know since I need to be gluten-free (its also often a lot more expensive)

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Correct, in fact gluten free stuff can often have more carbs in it than normal stuff - I know since I need to be gluten-free (its also often a lot more expensive)
ah ok yes i know it is expensive

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You only need gluten free food if you are Coeliac; ignore what the Celebs say. Try to start carb-counting your Bolus dose if you can before the DAFNE course. Ask the nurse to explain it. My nurse explained it to me in 15 minutes when I first started insulin; there is no reason for the nurse to delay that. BTW do you have excess weight? If not you may be T1 and not T2 as mis-diagnosis is common.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You only need gluten free food if you are Coeliac; ignore what the Celebs say. Try to start carb-counting your Bolus dose if you can before the DAFNE course. Ask the nurse to explain it. My nurse explained it to me in 15 minutes when I first started insulin; there is no reason for the nurse to delay that. BTW do you have excess weight? If not you may be T1 and not T2 as mis-diagnosis is common.
i have been on slow acting insulin for a few years and only fast acting for around a year or so i was in hospital 2 years ago with really high sugars due to steroids and they did a load of tests whilst i was there and they say im definitely type 2 as i was still producing my own insulin but i know things can change. i only weigh 10st8. my nurse did say that i have to inject for so many carbs i have eaten but that was before the lockdowns

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good afternoon all

i think i have a problem with eating to many carbs and i was wandering what the best approach either go low carb or gluten free. im waiting to go on the dafne course but need blood test first but with everything thats going on at mo im a bit scared to go to the drs surgery for the blood tests. im type 2 but im on slow acting and fast acting insulin. i start work at 2am and have breakfast before i leave around 1am then i have a 15 min break where i have something to eat then when i get home and get my son off to school i have something to eat then which is normally cereal like porridge or suger free muesli i checked my levels at break and i was 17 on my blood meter i know this is too high. can anyone help please

Hi, maybe your body needs the Insulin injections, but, if you really want to get off Insulin, or cut down on it, then please do it carefully and read up about it. You could cut back on carbs, as cereals have a lot of carbs in them and they need added milk too.
I am not type 2, but I only have a small yogurt, or a yogurt drink, for breakfast, normally 3 to 7 carbs or you could have eggs and bacon, scrambled eggs, or Greek yogurt with some berries, even a slice of toast is lower in carbs than the everyday cereal.