How likely is it to develop ketones if I eat a whole pizza and a cookie with no insulin

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also is it true that people with LADA , rather than type 1 , are less likely to get ketones ?

Thank you

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Also is it true that people with LADA , rather than type 1 , are less likely to get ketones ?

Thank you

As someone with LADA it's possible that you are still producing some insulin (if you're still in your honeymoon period), but I have no idea whether you'll get ketones to go with your pizza, though it seems likely that you will get high blood sugar, which will probably make you feel ill.

Please don't skip your insulin doses. Running high blood sugars kills off your own insulin producing cells faster, and makes you feel grotty, as well as leading to long term damage to all sorts of useful parts of your body (eyes, nerves, heart etc). It's self destructive, you know it is, please try to be kind to your body and yourself.

Reactions: kokhongw

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure why you would ask ths? am full blown type 1 and would not get ketones however I would have a very high blood sugar and feel very ill albeit more gradually given the fat on the pizza would slow the rise down. Don't experiment and if you have done so please don't repeat without insulin.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Thank you

Hi,

At a guess it also probably depends on what the current trends on your BGs have been like prior?
An un bolused for pizza & cookie could add more fuel to the fire..

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi , thank you for your great answers :)

I did in the end have insulin ( 12 for the pizza and know I over estimated but 2 for mayonnaise ) then then had 2 slices of bread with jam ( no extra insulin ) and an hour and a half later have just checked my blood . It’s 9.8

shouldn’t it have gone higher than that do you think ? ( in the last it’s been sat 15 even

I have had a few hypos recently by me overestimating ( doing two extra bouts of insulin within the 4 hour time frame

thank you :)

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did in the end have insulin ( 12 for the pizza and know I over estimated but 2 for mayonnaise )

You bolused 2 units for mayo? you know mayo has very little in the way of carbs right, or was it not just your normal mayo?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I have had a few hypos recently by me overestimating ( doing two extra bouts of insulin within the 4 hour time frame

That's called insulin stacking and is risky unless you know what you're doing, including being able to have a more educated guess as to how many carbs you've had.:)

Do you have a current insulin to carbs ratio from your team? It's depends on the bread (weight and type) but I'd expect a couple of slices of bread and jam to be 30-40g on their own.... But then if you're on the typical starter's ration of 1 unit to 10g 12 units would be enough for 120g of carbs (ignoring correction dose for if you were high before the meal). (Note that for me 12 units would do me for 35g of carbs so the amount really does vary dramatically between people).

As for the pizza, depends on how big, how thick the crust and how many slices it had. Most of the pizza carb is in the crust (though some toppings can be carby). If you're eating out and you have a smartphone handy, you can always google carb amounts to help your guestimates of carbs.

Good luck. I'm glad you went for the insulin option.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have a current insulin to carbs ratio from your team? It's depends on the bread (weight and type) but I'd expect a couple of slices of bread and jam to be 30-40g on their own.... But then if you're on the typical starter's ration of 1 unit to 10g 12 units would be enough for 120g of carbs (ignoring correction dose for if you were high before the meal). (Note that for me 12 units would do me for 35g of carbs so the amount really does vary dramatically between people.

Im very sorry OP to jump in on your thread,

Ellie, may I ask, you mean the dose would be different depending on your starting number before eating? So if you know a certain meal is say 8 units, but you are 10 mmol instead of 5mmol you would allow for that and inject more? How would you figure out the extra? Because there is no food to use a ratio. Sorry to ask

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fenn ,

You get to know how much 1u of insulin in a correction lowers by.
So, if you happen to be a little wayward prior to a meal? factor the correction into dosage for what your eating into the jab. :)

Reactions: Fenn

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fenn ,

You get to know how much 1u of insulin in a correction lowers by.
So, if you happen to be a little wayward prior to a meal? factor the correction into dosage for what your eating into the jab. :)
Thank you, im a little surprised as the effect of a couple of units is so viscous, ive been wondering about correcting as I always wait till food, so stay high until next mealtime if I got it wrong.

Maco

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Fenn, you need to know your ISF Insulin sensitivity factor. 1 unit of insulin will bring your reading down by a certain mmol. For me 1 unit brings my reading down by 2.5mmol.

So say for instance my reading is 13mmol, but I want it to be 7mmol then I would take enough insulin to cover the carbs in my food + 2 units extra to correct the high reading. If you search for insulin correction factor you’ll be able to mind the method to work out your ISF

Reactions: Fenn