Confused

Welshlass1

I was told on Monday I have type 2, apparently being Welsh, overweight and diabetic family are all contributing factors. Nurse said my levels were 60, previous was 38 ‍♀️

I literally have no idea what the hell that means other than it’s not good. I was told a few years ago to keep an eye on my weight and that was that convo. I have since had several blood test , cholesterol and BP but no-one ever mentioned diabetes.

Had my feet poked with a piece of plastic, given a very uninformative booklet, a prescription and instructions for metformin, was told I gotta go back this Monday for checkup. Am taking bp meds and statins. So am cutting down Cals, carbs etc eating a lotta fruit which is making me hungrier than usual. Not sure what todo next.

(Edited by mod for clarity)

Last edited by a moderator:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Strange that the blood tests didn't reveal diabetes or you weren't told. The blood test would have needed to be the HBA1C test. The level you have been told of 60 is probably an HBA1C test. That result isn't too bad (I was 58 at my last test which is a bit higher than I'd like). If you can reduce the weight thru a low-carb diet you should be able to get that figure down. BTW I didn't know that being Welsh increased you db risk? Presumably Celtic genes.

DannyMac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told on Monday I have type 2, apparently being Welsh, overweight and diabetic family are all contributing factors. Nurse said my levels were 60. I literally have no idea what the hell that means other than it’s not good. I was told a few years ago to keep an eye on my weight and that was that convo. I have since had several blood test , cholesterol and BP but no-one ever mentioned diabetes
About 8 years ago I was told the same the year prior to this I was having my blood test once a month to control HBP. My Doctor Retired and his partner was dealing with me he asked for a Diabetes test the first time he saw me.This tells me at that time not all Doctors asked for the test to be done maybe still the same with some Doctors today but 60 is very high at that time mines was 56

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Welshlass1

Could you say a bit more about what you’re eating? A lot of fruit sounds like you’re probably having more carbs than you think.

Many of us here have successfully lost weight and reduced our numbers to non-diabetic levels by adopting a low carb diet. A good starting place is the dietdoctor website, which has loads of information about carb levels in food, recipes, meal plans and so on. There are some paid options but you can get everything you need for free.

In terms of your numbers, the 60 is your HbA1c result. The HbA1c test is an estimate of your blood glucose levels over the previous 8-12 weeks. The threshold for diagnosis in the UK is 48, so you’re not so very far up the scale (mine was 108 on diagnosis). This guide might be useful to you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

As might this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Have a good read and come back with any questions.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, um I’m very confused. Was told Monday I was t2, lose weight, had my feet poked with a piece of plastic, given a very uninformative booklet, a prescription and instructions for metformin, was told I gotta go back this Monday for checkup. Apparently my level is 60 previous was 38 ‍♀️ Am taking bp meds and statins. So am cutting down Cals, carbs etc eating a lotta fruit which is making me hungrier than usual. Not sure what todo next
Hi. Metformin is a very safe drug so taking that is fine, but don't expect it to do that much. An HBA1C of 60 is a bit high but not that bad - I was 58 at my last test and that needs to come down. Make sure the fruit you have isn't sugary tropical such as bananas, grapes etc. Veg is always better if you can stand veg (!). Note that BP meds and Statins do increase blood sugar so make sure you aren't having higher dose than needed. I was able to stop my BP meds when I did home testing due to the lack of white coat syndrome. My results were lower then the surgery and my nurse enters them into the system. Also make sure you are only taking Statins based on a full lipids 'panel' (fasting cholesterol blood test) and then only the minimum needed to have good ratios. Don't let the GP prescribe them just because you have diabetes as they aren't a diabetes drug.

Reactions: jjraak

Welshlass1

Hi , been taking other meds for a few years now, pharmacist wants to up dose of statins from 10-20 as a precautionary measure, I wasn’t advised to fast before my blood test. I don’t know what I’m meant to eat, I have been on very successful diets, dropping over 5 stone each time but it creeps back on. People are talking about carbs, fat in saturated and non saturated, sugar, sugar in carbs etc etc etc no idea now So nurse says a few years ago my sugar was 30, then 48 did my previous surgery not mention this ? No and neither has anyone at this surgery even though I’ve been there two years and have had blood tests twice there

Welshlass1

Hi. Strange that the blood tests didn't reveal diabetes or you weren't told. The blood test would have needed to be the HBA1C test. The level you have been told of 60 is probably an HBA1C test. That result isn't too bad (I was 58 at my last test which is a bit higher than I'd like). If you can reduce the weight thru a low-carb diet you should be able to get that figure down. BTW I didn't know that being Welsh increased you db risk? Presumably Celtic genes.

Apparently it’s because Wales are poorer than the rest of the uk plus not as well educated particularly about health and nutrition

Welshlass1

Hi @Welshlass1

Could you say a bit more about what you’re eating? A lot of fruit sounds like you’re probably having more carbs than you think.

Many of us here have successfully lost weight and reduced our numbers to non-diabetic levels by adopting a low carb diet. A good starting place is the dietdoctor website, which has loads of information about carb levels in food, recipes, meal plans and so on. There are some paid options but you can get everything you need for free.

In terms of your numbers, the 60 is your HbA1c result. The HbA1c test is an estimate of your blood glucose levels over the previous 8-12 weeks. The threshold for diagnosis in the UK is 48, so you’re not so very far up the scale (mine was 108 on diagnosis). This guide might be useful to you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

As might this: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Have a good read and come back with any questions.

For instance this morning I had 2 rashers of bacon grilled with the fat cut off,dry five seed bread toasted and a poached egg, lunch was a prawn salad followed by a fruit salad and lo fat Greek yog(plain) I’ve just had two revitalise cracker breads with a smidge of lo fat hummus and for my event meal I’m having a homemade fajita with lo spray and just drink black unsweetened coffee

Welshlass1

Actually the blood test did reveal and several years ago it was 20 then 30 then 48, I had mild covid over Christmas and have been told ,( rightly or wrongly ) it will increase your levels but my daughters friend who is a pharmacist said maybe but for it to be 60 it’s been there a whine lol

Welshlass1

For instance this morning I had 2 rashers of bacon grilled with the fat cut off,dry five seed bread toasted and a poached egg, lunch was a prawn salad followed by a fruit salad and lo fat Greek yog(plain) I’ve just had two revitalise cracker breads with a smidge of lo fat hummus and for my event meal I’m having a homemade fajita with lo spray and just drink black unsweetened coffee

That should say ryvita not revitalise

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Welshlass
Going low carb, which is the best diet for diabetics and to lower blood sugar, is very different to low calorie diets. Ignore calories and everything you've ever learnt about them.
When you get hungry between meals eat full fat yohurts, double cream, cheese or olives. Then as your body get satiated you will find you need to snack less. Meals will be protein, healthy fats and veg. Very little or no fruits. Treats will be alcohol, dark chocolate and nuts.

Get a meter to test bg before and after meals and you will soon spot which foods (usually carbs such as bread, pasta, fruits, crispbread etc) raise your bg and you can then cut them out.
I've been doing this for nearly a year now, have lowered my bg and lost 3 stone painlessly in the process.

There are plenty of threads on this forum with ideas on food and what to eat. Read around, learn and enjoy! No rush, its a marathon not a sprint

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its quite freeing. Be led by your meter and you won't even have to count carbs, once you've learnt portions and no no's
Might be worth counting carbs initially, say 20g - 50g a day
Apps mysugar and carb manager might be useful.
Also diet doctor has good visuals.

Is a real mind change, but so worth doing

Welshlass1

Its quite freeing. Be led by your meter and you won't even have to count carbs, once you've learnt portions and no no's
Might be worth counting carbs initially, say 20g - 50g a day
Apps mysugar and carb manager might be useful.
Also diet doctor has good visuals.

Is a real mind change, but so worth doing

I’m not a big snacker anyway, the woman in with the nurse kept mentioning portion control, in fact she said it so many times she was ticking me off, I think she thought I had plates like dustbin lids loaded with the worst foods, and she made me feel like a huge fat slob, my down fall is toast and butter lotsa butter, yes I know portion control, lol
And chocolate tho I only have one largish bar that lasts a few days. Thanks all for advice, over the last couple of days I’ve been going mad trying to work out how I only have x calories whilst only having x carbs and x fats etc etc etc feel a lot better now x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my down fall is toast and butter lotsa butter
You'll realise (hopefully fairly soon) that your problem is with the toast and not the butter.
Carbohydrates cause elevated blood sugar levels, fat doesn't.
When I started out I used to eat cheese with butter on it .. down 120 pounds and maintained.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I too had the experience of being lectured about calories and portion control. If there were an olympics for calorie counting I could compete for Australia and I reckon many people here could also represent their countries.

I went very low carb not counting calories and have lost over 30 kg not being hungry. I put a couple of kg back on over Christmas as I increased my carb intake. I am very sensitive to carbs. I'll be honest and say having difficulty getting down to below 10 grams a day as my work is horrendously stressful at the moment.

Carbs are the key for me. If I have a higher carb day- still low carb and haven't gone above 30 grams a day since diagnosis I put on weight and am hungry. Sad but this is what works for me.

Your meter and your body will tell you what works for you.

Good luck and welcome.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Forget calories. Forget low-fat anything. Forget what the media tells you is "healthy", like wholemeal bread or tropical fruit. It's all about the carbs. Reduce your carb intake (I'm generally 20g or less/day) - your blood glucose will fall and you will lose weight and size. Each of us reacts a bit differently so it's not possible to say exactly what will happen, but use your meter to find out what each food does to your levels. I'm just over a year since T2 diagnosis and my blood glucose has been in the normal range for the last eight months at least. I've never been hungry. One piece of personal advice - don't be thinking of it as a diet. It's a lifestyle.

Reactions: Goonergal

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Be warned though your GP/Diabetic nurse may try to push the NHS Eatwell way of eating carbs with every meal, "heathly" snacks (such as friut" low fat everything (But when they take the fat out they usually add sugar to make it taste nicer. If you decide to follow the LCHF (Low Carb, Healthy Fat) WOE (way of eating) you'll quickly become a label queen, being able to check the nutritional info in seconds (and ignoring the traffic light system). Some people find it really easy to switch over, for others (including me) it can be more difficult. I've fallen off the wagon a bit at the minute. Struggling to resist the Tiger bread (bread & pastry are my downfall), but every day I start again.