COTTAGE pie

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Isn't keto less than 20 carbs in one day? So that would blow it out of the water somewhat.

I'm actually having one of those for dinner tonight - got my eye test later so I'll be all blurry so wanted a microwave meal to make it easier, but then I'm not going keto,
I do tend to have a higher carb meal at dinner anyways and I'm mostly controlling things not too badly (except for the last few days but I am also sneezing a lot and a bit snotty so I'm going to blame that)

Ready meals in general aren't the best to have every day anyways if you can avoid it - but that's not just for diabetics

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New Isn't keto less than 20 carbs in one day? So that would blow it out of the water somewhat

Hi Rokaab, I thought that keto simply referred to the amount of carbs your body needs to get it into a (scientific) ketosis state?, ie where it switches to burning fat for fuel? For some I think that's around 50 carbs or less and for others it may well be 20 carbs. I have tried keto for a few weeks and went into keto at around 60 carbs. (Tested with ketone strips). I ate one meal a day (my tendency anyway) so I'm guessing @ariaxo COULD possibly achieve it if that's the only meal he ate with carbs in it, not really practical I know.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Rokaab, I thought that keto simply referred to the amount of carbs your body needs to get it into a (scientific) ketosis state?, ie where it switches to burning fat for fuel? For some I think that's around 50 carbs or less and for others it may well be 20 carbs. I have tried keto for a few weeks and went into keto at around 60 carbs. (Tested with ketone strips).
I could well be wrong :)

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Rokaab, I thought that keto simply referred to the amount of carbs your body needs to get it into a (scientific) ketosis state?, ie where it switches to burning fat for fuel? For some I think that's around 50 carbs or less and for others it may well be 20 carbs. I have tried keto for a few weeks and went into keto at around 60 carbs. (Tested with ketone strips). I ate one meal a day (my tendency anyway) so I'm guessing @ariaxo COULD possibly achieve it if that's the only meal he ate with carbs in it, not really practical I know.

Ohh so to know when I’m on ketosis, I need to check my ketones everyday and make sure it’s at 0?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I know this is the Type 1 section, but the cross over point is Keto and a inference to a point of rules. I technically break the rules of Keto almost everyday, because I have tailored to myself with a higher protein variant, and some carbs that help with blood pressure (when I measure keytones I do often see 0.5 to 0.7 but don't care).

I think your sentiment towards Keto is good enough, but maybe over time you might consider making your own from time to time. My wife makes with a butternut squash topping, and there is nothing left. The levels of beef in your example at 24% are a little disappointing.

Nothing wrong with being Keto-ish if you don't have a neurological condition.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most people get into ketosis somewhere between 20 and 50g carbs a day. Some people need to go below 20g.
That’s why 20g carbs is often quoted as the number.

really, the only way to know what works for each of us is to test for ketones (and that is a whole other can of worms!)

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think most people get into ketosis somewhere between 20 and 50g carbs a day. Some people need to go below 20g.

really, the only way to know what works for each of us is to test for ketones (and that is a whole other can of worms!)
How much does my ketone have to be to know I am in ketosis?

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know this is the Type 1 section, but the cross over point is Keto and a inference to a point of rules. I technically break the rules of Keto almost everyday, because I have tailored to myself with a higher protein variant, and some carbs that help with blood pressure (when I measure keytones I do often see 0.5 to 0.7 but don't care).

I think your sentiment towards Keto is good enough, but maybe over time you might consider making your own from time to time. My wife makes with a butternut squash topping, and there is nothing left. The levels of beef in your example at 24% are a little disappointing.

Nothing wrong with being Keto-ish if you don't have a neurological condition.
Honestly I’m not bothered to make my own when there are really tasty and ready out there.

how much do my ketones have to be if I’m in ketosis then? I never check my ketones so I should probably ask my gp to give me test strips for it

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How much does my ketone have to be to know I am in ketosis?

if you have ketones (from eating low amounts of carbs), then you are in ketosis (so anything more than 0 ketones = ketosis).

obviously, having ketones when experiencing ketoacidosis is a completely different thing.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
if you have ketones (from eating low amounts of carbs), then you are in ketosis (so anything more than 0 ketones = ketosis).

obviously, having ketones when experiencing ketoacidosis is a completely different thing.
Is it possible for my blood sugar to be high and have normal ketones? Like for example if I eat the cottage pie today and it goes to 10 mmol or higher, is it possible my ketones be normal? Is ketones more important than blood sugar

Jo_the_boat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

are worms low carb?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee (sorry hope you don’t mind tagging you)

Hi,

I realy haven't done cottage pie in a while.
If you enjoy cottage pie? Then why not. :)

Regarding the nutritional Ketosis. If your blood sugars are in normal range this could suggest you are burning fat?

If your sugars are high. Or have been high for a prolonged time.. With ketones present, then that isn't good news. (& not the type of ketones you're looking for.)
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/

Reactions: oldgreymare

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

I realy haven't done cottage pie in a while.
If you enjoy cottage pie? Then why not. :)

Regarding the nutritional Ketosis. If your blood sugars are in normal range this could suggest you are burning fat?

If your sugars are high. Or have been high for a prolonged time.. With ketones present, then that isn't good news. (& not the type of ketones you're looking for.)
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/
Is blood sugar of 9 dangerous? Or is the normal range 4-8

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Cottage pie hmmm hmm bring it on a large one please from CostCo Edinburgh , I don’t eat it that often so I ain’t bothered about ketones all I’m bothered with is getting it down my Gregory, and trying to sort out the how much Insulin I need to keep me within range , I am so lucky I can eat the a*** end of a rhino and not put weight on so I do sympathise with al who aren’t as lucky as myself, I use to have a lassie on my shift who said to me “ mark can I have a bottle of your constitution “ lol.
Saying that I eat lots of fruit and veg and noooooo takeaways even though I love them ( too much salt for me )