To poop or not to poop

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mmmm thats very interesting - neither myself or other half cook with salt. I used to use low salt and gave that up also when I was diagnosed with high BP. I still don't think I should be on the tablets to be honest, I have super white coat syndrome and anxieties that make it worse. I have been determined to get off the BP tablets since I have been on them, and really hope to be off them once I get to my ideal weight - I am getting there.... I am 11.8 now - but full of poop :depressed:

For goodness' sake (and yours) don't reduce your BP meds without asking your doctor!

Google "salt and blood pressure" to see lots of articles about the negative effects of salt on blood pressure. We get enough salt naturally in many of the foods we eat nowadays, so don't need to add salt, especially if we have high BP.

I am the same as you, white coat syndrome sends my BP spiking! :)

Eggs can cause constipation. Bread and other grain foods can help keep you regular.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m one for whom veg bungs me up. If I’m having issues then ensuring enough water and enough salt usually does the trick. A decent walk also helps speed things along (sometimes unexpectedly :D).

Also are you actually constipated - i.e straining or feeling like you need to go, or just going less often as you’re eating better?

Hope you get it sorted - not pleasant!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you actually feeling constipated, or just not needing to go so often?

I find the latter since I've been low carbing, as there's generally less waste to dispose of. I also find that eating enough fat can act as a bit of lubrication to help things on their way. Psyllium made me really ill!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread and other grain foods can help keep you regular.
Not if the OP has a problem digesting that kind of food.
And if they are cooking all food from fresh then lack salt could well be an issue.
Headaches are often a sign of a slight salt deficiency.
Almost everyone here has experienced lowering of blood pressure when carbs are removed from the diet so taking an artificial BP lowering medication when removing carbs from the diet can be quite dangerous.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Well good news is that I went today no problem. I am guessing that its not that I am constipated but just not needing to go as often. I will get some inulin from h&b anyway as it might help regulate me a little more - just not running for the loo in dire straits lol

Reactions: SarahEN

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some Chia seeds from 3 years ago and still in date, so broke into them this morning, made up in strong black coffee and when cool and jellied, added plain yogurt..... very good.
Will be going back there.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To be honest I think its going to be every 2 days :shy: as its all quite on the western front at the mo :rolleyes:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest I think its going to be every 2 days :shy: as its all quite on the western front at the mo :rolleyes:

I would be very happy with every other day to be honest. GP was not at concerned that it could be 4, 5 days or more......

We have a new expression in this house for success...... Huzza!

Best of luck.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On a low carb diet there is often nothing much to get rid of - when eating foods which are highly nourishing, there isn't much left over once everything has been extracted.
Swallowing things just to they travel through the gut and need to be got rid of on a daily basis seems rather unnecessary.
In warmer weather I go out and jump on the big trampoline in the garden, and that can stir up the gut, but there really isn't much inside me at any time.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
On a low carb diet there is often nothing much to get rid of - when eating foods which are highly nourishing, there isn't much left over once everything has been extracted.
Swallowing things just to they travel through the gut and need to be got rid of on a daily basis seems rather unnecessary.
In warmer weather I go out and jump on the big trampoline in the garden, and that can stir up the gut, but there really isn't much inside me at any time.

So that's what the deal is?? Makes total sense @Resurgam Just happened upon this post of yours (reply) and I hadn't asked the question but I did wonder. Thank you so much, this really helped me out today ;)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Basically as the above title says, so is Califig sugar free better or Fybogel. DN seems to think its okay to to take Fybogel - help a couple of times a week. Being on the LCHF is having a bit of an effect in that dept :grumpy:
What's really helped me, are pretty much 2 things. Mostly, taking Magnesium Citrate if things get too brick'ish. If it's coupled with cramping and I get that for a warning of things to come, I chug 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar. I know that last thing sounds horrible, but it works. I mix it in water of course ;)

Forgot to mention for me, spending money on a bottle of something I can also use to bake with makes more sense too.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Maybe you can ask your doc if it's ok for you to do the Magnesium? I don't recall exactly, but I read about 80 or so percent of people are Magnesium deficient. Nevertheless, it does seem to help a lot of people that are not "regular". I also don't know what you are eating. I will read back and see if you told that already. I know I feel terrible if I am either plugged up, or not ;( If you do try magnesium start with low dose. Mine are 100mg, and they come in different types depending which "type" of Mag would be good for individual needs,

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
What's really helped me, are pretty much 2 things. Mostly, taking Magnesium Citrate if things get too brick'ish. If it's coupled with cramping and I get that for a warning of things to come, I chug 1 tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar. I know that last thing sounds horrible, but it works. I mix it in water of course ;)

Forgot to mention for me, spending money on a bottle of something I can also use to bake with makes more sense too.
Hi, I might start taking a magnesium supplement. I have been drinking bucket loads of green tea and I'm wondering if a combination of that plus eating a lot of fish is bringing my BG numbers down. By the way love the term "brick'ish" :D its a good way to describe the feeling:playful:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi, I might start taking a magnesium supplement. I have been drinking bucket loads of green tea and I'm wondering if a combination of that plus eating a lot of fish is bringing my BG numbers down. By the way love the term "brick'ish" :D its a good way to describe the feeling:playful:
I like green tea but ran out and the market had run out too!! Love fish, try to eat it at least once a week. More lately with the fresh Salmon markets been getting. Glad you like my term, it's yours to use anytime :hilarious: