Why is BS higher after Fasting?

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
I see when I google, Keto comes up a lot but I wanted to ask folks here, the question of why are all my diary entries for "first thing in a.m." all the highest? I'm stopping my food intake by no later than 7pm, no snacks, foods are low or no carbs.

Thanks much for feedback,

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I see when I google, Keto comes up a lot but I wanted to ask folks here, the question of why are all my diary entries for "first thing in a.m." all the highest? I'm stopping my food intake by no later than 7pm, no snacks, foods are low or no carbs.

Thanks much for feedback,
You might want to look up "dawn phenomenon". It affects a lot of people, me included. My BG is always highest first thing in the morning - go to bed at 4.5, wake up 6.1. This happens because the liver, in an effort to be helpful, dumps a lot of glucose into the bloodstream in the early morning. I also get nightmares and heavy sweating when this happens. People report it decreases over time, but I haven't noticed that - been in range for about a year now.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is likely to be Dawn Phenomenon.
Our livers are really helpful - at the start of every day, the dump a load of glucose into our blood to give us energy to start the day.
I understand this happens with everyone - it's just those with a healthy pancreas will release insulin in response.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
You might want to look up "dawn phenomenon". It affects a lot of people, me included. My BG is always highest first thing in the morning - go to bed at 4.5, wake up 6.1. This happens because the liver, in an effort to be helpful, dumps a lot of glucose into the bloodstream in the early morning. I also get nightmares and heavy sweating when this happens. People report it decreases over time, but I haven't noticed that - been in range for about a year now.
Thank you for your reply @KennyA I just read that about the liver and it getting rid of sugar. I get nightmarish stuff, or weird at the least, in the a.m.'s I have sweats and cold flushes all day and at night, but they are better than a week ago. I'm really looking hard into Ketosis, and the Keto diet today. I'm pretty much there, but need to learn intermittant fasting.
You've had that keep up for a year now hey? Are you pretty low carb, keto, Metformin? I am so against taking that pill, I've been off it, and this will be my 3rd day. I'd only taken it 2 weeks with headaches and cramping,

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hia, from what I have learned the morning readings are the last to come down I suspect due to the dawn phenomenon. I tend to get up as soon as I wake up and test then have something to eat to try and stop my BG from rising, not sure if it works though - I am still working on it:D

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hia, from what I have learned the morning readings are the last to come down I suspect due to the dawn phenomenon. I tend to get up as soon as I wake up and test then have something to eat to try and stop my BG from rising, not sure if it works though - I am still working on it:D
Ok that's 2 mentions of the Dawn Phenomenon so I will check it out @Lainie71 and @KennyA ! I do the same with just a stop or two turning on lights but I go real slow so I don't get too much exercise :p

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This is likely to be Dawn Phenomenon.
Our livers are really helpful - at the start of every day, the dump a load of glucose into our blood to give us energy to start the day.
I understand this happens with everyone - it's just those with a healthy pancreas will release insulin in response.
Hi @In Response So we are supposed to have energy in the a.m. ;) Actually, I do get quite a bit after a few minutes running around turning everything on etc. My mornings are the most energetic of my whole day but since I've been on so little carbs, I feel good all day, and am still doing things up til like 9. Use to sit in front of the tube a couple hours at least ;)

So that's 3 for Dawn Phenomenon ;) Thank you much,

Reactions: In Response

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Ok that's 2 mentions of the Dawn Phenomenon so I will check it out @Lainie71 and @KennyA ! I do the same with just a stop or two turning on lights but I go real slow so I don't get too much exercise :p
Wow I thought it was only me that did that !!! Wonder if it does make any difference..? I find I am wide awake since going LCHF and cannot get to sleep for about 3 hours - just lying there and when I do eventually get to sleep, I am getting up creeping around the bedroom so not to disturb my hubby and walking like a loon, slowly so it doesn't raise my BG

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Wow I thought it was only me that did that !!! Wonder if it does make any difference..? I find I am wide awake since going LCHF and cannot get to sleep for about 3 hours - just lying there and when I do eventually get to sleep, I am getting up creeping around the bedroom so not to disturb my hubby and walking like a loon, slowly so it doesn't raise my BG
LOL, I'm not thinking of my BG, I just don't even have in first gear yet:confused: What do they say "Dazed and Confused" :hilarious:

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
oh my gosh you all, I just got a 5.3 mmol/l (mine read 96 mg/dl). I'm so happy I could cry! I haven't had that low since way back on the 13th of this month!! Something is working, and today is the 3rd day without the Meformin. I do hope it keeps up. I'm will to take the Metformin if I have to but if it works without it I won't need to.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply @KennyA I just read that about the liver and it getting rid of sugar. I get nightmarish stuff, or weird at the least, in the a.m.'s I have sweats and cold flushes all day and at night, but they are better than a week ago. I'm really looking hard into Ketosis, and the Keto diet today. I'm pretty much there, but need to learn intermittant fasting.
You've had that keep up for a year now hey? Are you pretty low carb, keto, Metformin? I am so against taking that pill, I've been off it, and this will be my 3rd day. I'd only taken it 2 weeks with headaches and cramping,
Low carb/keto works for me. Intermittent fasting - ie 16hrs plus most days is also useful. I am expecting to spend the rest of my life eating like this, so it's not really a diet. Was offered metformin, but refused (I wasn't very high at diagnosis but had been having diabetic symptoms for 10+ years) and never regretted it. Thing is, if you do this low-carb right, it works. No snake oil, no expensive supplements, just effective.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Low carb/keto works for me. Intermittent fasting - ie 16hrs plus most days is also useful. I am expecting to spend the rest of my life eating like this, so it's not really a diet. Was offered metformin, but refused (I wasn't very high at diagnosis but had been having diabetic symptoms for 10+ years) and never regretted it. Thing is, if you do this low-carb right, it works. No snake oil, no expensive supplements, just effective.
I am liking the zero carb and low carb more every day. I can't believe I reach for that when I want something "yesterday". I can get ravenous still. Pretty sure just adjusting to lack of carbs. I'm in it for the long haul to @KennyA Just so many good things happening, and in just under 3 weeks! So grateful to everyone here, especially! I sure go little help from any doctors or nurses. That's ok, I know where to look and hope we can reach out to others that may not know what to do.

I wasn't high either, but I knew it could get much worse so I didn't want to go there ;) Now I have stuff made up in the fridge I can grab in a moments notice. I'm not going to make a lot of snacks, mainly because I've stopped any cravings. I mean I should say a snack for me will be some of my Keto recipes, or a little bowl of cottage cheese. I never have a sick stomach from eating the good stuff either!

Reactions: KennyA