Alcohol

KerryE1

Hi,
Newly diagnosed and I usually enjoy a bottle of wine on a Saturday night. I am on Metformin. Do any of you drink a bottle once a week? If so how do you feel?
Thank you

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Well, I drink alcohol on a regular basis and it doesn't seem to affect my Metformin.
However if you are talking about drinking the whole bottle in one sitting by yourself that might be an issue with or without Metformin.
However, I am not one to judge because I may well have got through a complete bottle over the course of the evening during an extended meal with friends.
[Remember those evenings? I do, vaguely.]

KerryE1

Yes I mean drink it all in one evening.
My husband will have a few beers and I will drink a bottle of wine.
A bottle of wine is 10 units and I'm allowed up to 14units a week, so dont think that's to much

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm on one metformin a day and if I drink a bottle of wine nowadays I feel abit more drunk than I would have previously so it might be because of the metformin so I tend to stick to a couple of glasses instead. Over Christmas when I knew I would drink more, I did skip the odd day of metformin but that probably is not a good idea.

Reactions: Trio1

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found that since I lowered my bg through low carbing, that any alcohol has immediate effects , one glass is enough, 2 has me falling over. I used to be able to drink much more. My days of a full bottle in one go are long gone. Now a bottle lasts a week

Reactions: Trio1

HighLows

Yes I mean drink it all in one evening.
My husband will have a few beers and I will drink a bottle of wine.
A bottle of wine is 10 units and I'm allowed up to 14units a week, so dont think that's to much
when i drank, i did red cab it has low carbs. but i find alcohol messed up my numbers as i would go low when drinking but rebound the next day.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find alcohol lowers my blood glucose quite markedly. Its impact since low-carb doesn't seem to have altered at all. I am a firm believer in following the alcohol intake levels recommended by the Italian health authorities: up to 40g of pure alcohol/day.