I’ve been stuck in a hypo for an hour

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Glad to hear you're doing better now!

I don't know if you use Facebook, but I've seen groups where you can give a shout out when you're alone and struggling with a hypo. There's always someone willing to stick with you online through messenger. You exchange addresses, so if the other doesn't hear from you in 15 minutes they'll send out an ambulance.

I've never used this, but I'm happy for this possibility if I ever feel unsafe again with a stubborn hypo. The last time this happened to me (after mixing up my long and short acting) I woke up a neighbour and had him sit with me until things were stable again. This obviously only works when you have very nice neighbours, and it's not something I'd want to do regularly. I think those Facebook groups are great, although it's of course a bit of a risk with the address. Still, it may be useful for you should this happen again.
I don’t have Facebook but really appreciate this but I don’t really want anybody around me when I’m like that. And I don’t want to feel like a burden but thanks

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t have Facebook but really appreciate this but I don’t really want anybody around me when I’m like that. And I don’t want to feel like a burden but thanks
There won't be anyone around you, you just agree to send a text message every 15 minutes or so until you tell them you're safe again. This way you'll know there is someone to call an ambulance if you lose consciousness.

Reactions: Sad21+

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Glad you're ok, thanks for letting us know. Have you spoken to your diabetes nurse about hypo's and also about batteries for your meter (from your other thread)?

Reactions: Sad21+

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, hope you're feeling a little better today - though I find a bad hypo makes me wake up feeling like I've got the worst hangover so I hope that isn't the case for you!

Just thought I'd pick up on a the meter queries - is there a reason you're not using the libre meter? Is your libre sensor on NHS prescription? If so, you could get the metre for free too via the Abbott website. Mine is rechargeable and came with a cable, so no battery issues for me. I got mine when I had my libre training and my diabetes nurse just sent a letter to my GP telling them what to update on my prescription so maybe you can ask your diabetes nurse/centre about that? I used to have One Touch meters and the company provided free battery replacements (had to email to request them).

Also, when I had my libre training we were told the sensors are less accurate when your blood glucose levels are under 4mmol/l and above 10mmol/l and so told to always double check a scan which reads under 4 or above 10 with a finger prick test before correcting (by either treating for a hypo or injecting more insulin). Found my sensors to be spot on when I'm between 4 and 10 though. I use my phone to scan which has made life so much easier, wouldn't want to be without the sensors now!

Hope this might help for the future. I have found this site so useful in hearing other people's experience so hope this helps a little.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
when being a type 1 , you need to have some basal tools in your bag and in your house all the time, always somekind of fast absorbable sugar , a finger pricker and test sticks ... you need to have the basal stuff, it is in the short run much more dangerous to be too low in blood gluccose for at type 1 person... so your first priority I guess would be not to get too low

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... so your first priority I guess would be not to get too low

I think you'll find the vast majority of us spend inordinate amounts of time trying to avoid that very thing which can be about as achievable as looking for a needle in a haystack on some days, given you have very little control when trying to use the EXACT amount of insulin you think your body might need. :(