I’ve been stuck in a hypo for an hour

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But I’m hyper for many hours after that and I feel it is gonna affect me. A liquid tube of sugar???

Hi again,

What insulin/s are you prescribed?

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
But I’m hyper for many hours after that and I feel it is gonna affect me. A liquid tube of sugar???
Hi @ariaxo reading this and an earlier post I would doubt that you have messed up your blood sugars so much your body can’t even control it anymore. My life in the first 20 years was very similar to yours, and yes, I resented it and denied its existence. Once I had gained control of it generally (but never all the time), life improved dramatically. You are in a vicious circle, quite understandably, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I had Type 1 for 54 years and then a transplant. It's not all gloom!

Reactions: Sad21+ and Antje77

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

It's a glucogel tube, like a gel, it can be easier and quicker to get down your neck and is perfectly measured out, better than trying to chew some of those glucose tablets. You may be hyper for many hours but as long as it comes down it is a lesser risk than remaining in a state of hypo for hours or running the risk of another one.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @ariaxo reading this and an earlier post I would doubt that you have messed up your blood sugars so much your body can’t even control it anymore. My life in the first 20 years was very similar to yours, and yes, I resented it and denied its existence. Once I had gained control of it generally (but never all the time), life improved dramatically. You are in a vicious circle, quite understandably, but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I had Type 1 for 54 years and then a transplant. It's not all gloom!
Thank you. I needed this. A tranplant for what

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It's a glucogel tube, like a gel, it can be easier and quicker to get down your neck and is perfectly measured out, better than trying to chew some of those glucose tablets. You may be hyper for many hours but as long as it comes down it is a lesser risk than remaining in a state of hypo for hours or running the risk of another one.
Isn’t being hyper for long hours have a worse long term affect than being hypo?

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
On the meter or the sensor?

When did you last inject Novorapid?
Unfortunately I don’t have anything to prick my finger to use my meter so on the sensor
Like 2 hours ago. I had pasta and injected 15 cause I didn’t know the carbs. I had pasta because it’s the only thing I have rn. Cant afford to get anything healthy right now. Have like 5p in my bank account :/ life is hard

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Isn’t being hyper for long hours have a worse long term affect than being hypo?

Not when it's being compared to an imminent blackout and worse from a bad hypo. Being hyper for a few hours is not thought to have a worse long term affect but being hyper over a more prolonged period can have a detrimental affect. It's a needs must thing firstly. Are you feeling the symptoms of hypo at the moment, at least two recent libres showed me 'LO' all night long and when checking it with a finger prick, it wasn't low at all. Could it be a faulty sensor????

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not when it's being compared to an imminent blackout and worse from a bad hypo. Being hyper for a few hours is not thought to have a worse long term affect but being hyper over a more prolonged period can have a detrimental affect. It's a needs must thing firstly.
Oh I see. How many hypers is normal for a single week? I have like 30

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Not when it's being compared to an imminent blackout and worse from a bad hypo. Being hyper for a few hours is not thought to have a worse long term affect but being hyper over a more prolonged period can have a detrimental affect. It's a needs must thing firstly. Are you feeling the symptoms of hypo at the moment, at least two recent libres showed me 'LO' all night long and when checking it with a finger prick, it wasn't low at all. Could it be a faulty sensor????
Yes I feel weak. I don’t know I will have to check when I can use my meter

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately I don’t have anything to prick my finger to use my meter so on the sensor
You should be able to get a meter and strips and a finger pricker from your doctor, you are T1 therefore they should prescribe you test strips, even if you are on sensors, I always found the libre remarkably inaccurate when it showed under 5, it could show LO or 2.3 when I was high 4's/low 5's. Abbott do say you should do a finger prick if it shows under 5

I had pasta and injected 15 cause I didn’t know the carbs. I had pasta because it’s the only thing I have rn
I find pasta stuff very much like pizza, I have to split bolus otherwise I'm in hypo territory, followed a bit later by a rather large climb as the rest of the pasts kicks in, I'm not saying you need to avoid pasta but you may need to split your bolus to deal with it - this may take some trial and error.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like 2 hours ago. I had pasta and injected 15 cause I didn’t know the carbs. I had pasta because it’s the only thing I have rn. Cant afford to get anything healthy right now. Have like 5p in my bank account :/ life is hard

No problems, I lived in a MK1 Bedford CF van as a student.

Sounds like you need to talk to your HCPs on this. Put in a new prescription request.
Do you not have an old lancet in the jabber hanging about?

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
You should be able to get a meter and strips and a finger pricker from your doctor, you are T1 therefore they should prescribe you test strips, even if you are on sensors, I always found the libre remarkably inaccurate when it showed under 5, it could show LO or 2.3 when I was high 4's/low 5's. Abbott do say you should do a finger prick if it shows under 5

I find pasta stuff very much like pizza, I have to split bolus otherwise I'm in hypo territory, followed a bit later by a rather large climb as the rest of the pasts kicks in, I'm not saying you need to avoid pasta but you may need to split your bolus to deal with it - this may take some trial and error.
I know but I’ve had the freestyle libre so I didn’t bother ordering more lancets. But now I know to.

no I’m definitely gonna avoid pasta unless I’m going out

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well if you haven't got the stuff to do a finger prick test and you feel it's dropping again, I think you should call 111?
I feel like my blood sugar is getting lower. I think the sensor is accurate because the symptoms are getting worse . I think I’ll be wasting 111’s time

Reactions: eventhorizon

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No problems, I lived in a MK1 Bedford CF van as a student.

Sounds like you need to talk to your HCPs on this. Put in a new prescription request.
Do you not have an old lancet in the jabber hanging about?
No I’ve looked everywhere.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It’s 2.9, I’m gonna end up finishing my whole starburst packet and still be low