I’ve been stuck in a hypo for an hour

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been L.O for one whole hour despite eating 15 starbursts and 3 rich tea biscuits. I kept taking more cause it wasn’t increasing. I’m worried

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As I posted this, I checked it and it’s now 2.2. Gosh why did it take so long it was Terrible

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Are you alone?
What part of the world are you in?
As I posted this, I checked it and it’s now 2.2. Gosh why did it take so long it was Terrible.
Yeah I’m alone and I’m in England

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a drink recently? Can you safely make yourself something warm to drink, or get water?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I posted this, I checked it and it’s now 2.2. Gosh why did it take so long it was Terrible.
Yeah I’m alone and I’m in England
Oh good.
I am no expert of you exotic type ones, so no use there, can only suggest relaxing, drinking something warm and keep testing - the warm drink is to hopefully increase absorption

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh good.
I am no expert of you exotic type ones, so no use there, can only suggest relaxing, drinking something warm and keep testing - the warm drink is to hopefully increase absorption
My body doesn’t seem to react well to insulin and it doesn’t seem to react well to hypos either. I think I have messed up my blood sugars so much my body can’t even control it anymore. It’s not coping. I think I’m going to die from my diabetes one day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress tends to knot up the stomach causing indigestion - sipping a warm drink or even a cold one, in a calm and relaxed frame of mind could help.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can you call a friend and keep chatting with them? It would be good to have someone keeping an eye on you, even by telephone, until you're above 4 again.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Stress tends to knot up the stomach causing indigestion - sipping a warm drink or even a cold one, in a calm and relaxed frame of mind could help.
I’m always stressed so that doesn’t help

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My body doesn’t seem to react well to insulin and it doesn’t seem to react well to hypos either. I think I have messed up my blood sugars so much my body can’t even control it anymore. It’s not coping. I think I’m going to die from my diabetes one day.
Well - not on my watch.
Calm, relaxing thoughts.

Reactions: Sad21+

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
maybe you should drink some tea with sugar in it 2.2 is still rather low

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you shouldn't get up and work with hot water to make tea when you're still at 2.2.
Keeping seated is the safest course of action.

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
maybe you should drink some tea with sugar in it 2.2 is still rather low
I think you shouldn't get up and work with hot water to make tea when you're still at 2.2.
Keeping seated is the safest course of action.
I don’t have tea or sugar. And I am shaking right now. I’m 2.7, I don’t know why it is taking so long. I even had cereal. It’s so horrible to be this weak for so long :(

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t have tea or sugar. And I am shaking right now. I’m 2.7, I don’t know why it is taking so long. I even had cereal. It’s so horrible to be this weak for so long :(
Next time, please stick to the quick acting stuff like dextro, syrup, plain sugar, jelly babies or such until you're above 4. This works faster than cereal or tea biscuits. After the quick acting glucose has gotten you out of your hypo you can eat things like biscuits or cereal to prevent going low again.

Glad to see your going up still!

ariaxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Next time, please stick to the quick acting stuff like dextro, syrup, plain sugar, jelly babies or such until you're above 4. This works faster than cereal or tea biscuits. After the quick acting glucose has gotten you out of your hypo you can eat things like biscuits or cereal to prevent going low again.

Glad to see your going up still!
But I said I ate starbursts too?? And I’ve tried jelly babies and they also took long. I think it’s just my body being so messed up because of high blood sugars for years that it doesn’t work well anymore. I’ve even tried Glucoce tablets and they don’t do anything either

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But I said I ate starbursts too?? And I’ve tried jelly babies and they also took long. I think it’s just my body being so messed up because of high blood sugars for years that it doesn’t work well anymore. I’ve even tried Glucoce tablets and they don’t do anything either
The biscuits and cereal slow down the action of the starbursts, jelly babies or glucose tablets. Being in your stomach together with the sweets, they 'dilute' the sweets. So your stomach is working on both the cereal and the glucose instead of the glucose alone.

This is why the general advice is to treat a hypo with sweet stuff first, and only follow up with the other stuff after the hypo has gone.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As I posted this, I checked it and it’s now 2.2. Gosh why did it take so long it was Terrible

Hi there.

Are you using a sensor to check your BG or a meter??