Prolonged Release Metformin Query

Cherryblossom

Having been on Metformin for the past 20 years which I took after breakfast and evening meal, I am now on the maximum dose of 2000mg but unfortunately, this gave me severe diarrhea, so my GP prescribed the Prolonged Release tablets which put a stop to it. However, nothing was said about when they should be taken but when I got the first prescription, it stated they should be taken twice daily with or after food. This was the same as my previous tablets, whereas the information sheet for the prolonged release ones state the whole dosage should be taken during or after my evening meal. The reason I query this is because I have noticed my SL's have increased by about 3mnol during the evening and especially first thing in the morning and I am wondering if any of you out there take the prolonged release tablets and can confirm whether they should be taken during they evening meal as per the manufacturers instructions or with each meal.

As a matter of interest, I took this up with my Chemist who did not know the answer, so much for professional advice!!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I was instructed to take my Glucophage SR as a divided dose, so I take 2 with breakfast (7am-ish) and 2 with my evening meal (7pm) .. this is also as printed on the chemist's dispensing label as 12hrs apart with food.

Marvin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I also take two 500mg Glucophage SR with my breakfast, and two with my evening meal, as instructed.

andybob

Hi I take mine 1 with breakfast, 1 with lunch; 1 with evening meal and then have to take 1 before bed.
this was as instructed with the practice nurse.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also take 2x1000 prolonged release and the instructions are to take one with breakfast and one with evening meal
CAROL

Cherryblossom

Thank you all for your response. Obviously your GPs have stipulated the varying times to take the pills, the same as mine but why would the manufacturers tell you to take them with your evening meal. Have any of you queried this with your GP?

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Cherryblossom said:
Thank you all for your response. Obviously your GPs have stipulated the varying times to take the pills, the same as mine but why would the manufacturers tell you to take them with your evening meal. Have any of you queried this with your GP?

I was changed from standard to PR by the endocrinologist, but I did ask my GP about the leaflet's instructions and was told the divided dose is preferable to avoid 'gassed up loose guts', and that was enough for me :thumbup:

Cherryblossom

Many thanks Hobs. I would imagine the GP's have their own agenda on this, so I shall continue taking the pills morning and evening until I take it up with my GP.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a similar question when I was first prescribed SR many years ago. You are right in saying that the leaflet does say take all in the evening but my GP prescribed the morning/evening divided dose which I thought more logical. I still wonder why the drug company leaflet differs from common practice by GPs?

kevin9136

i have been switch to prolonged release 2000mgs 8 or 9 months ago and take 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening with my night time medication and was told by the doctor at the hospital to take the same as normal metformin and i must said they have worked a treat

Cherryblossom

Many thanks Daibell and Kevin. It would seem that a split dose is the norm but I shall query this with my GP when I see him next, especially over why the manufacturers specify once a day. Lets hope one day they come up with a cure for this insidious disease!

Helenababe

My son was diagnosed T2 just before Christmas and he takes the SR metformin 1 with breakfast and 1 with evening meal.

Helena

Cherryblossom

Thanks for your reply Helena. If it is any consolation to you and your son, I was first diagnosed with T2 about 20 years or so but I am sure I was diabetic 20 years prior to that following a blood test. Unfortunately, my GP at the time mentioned I had a high SL but did not follow it up and not knowing the implications of high SL, I moved home and never gave it any further thought.

What I am trying to say is that I have probably been type 2 for over 40 years, half of which were without medication but I have been very healthy all that time and have had none of the horror stories you read about. All I have done is keep myself fit and have eaten sensibly and if your son does the same with medication of course, he should still lead a full and active life. Hope this helps!

Bernard

Helenababe

Yes I can see what you mean.

My son is only 20. Being a T2 myself I would have picked up on any symptoms, but there weren't any. He didn't have any drowsiness even, although it turned out his sugar was high.
He was feeling very well, and still is.

The only way it was picked up was because he got thrush in his mouth, and the GP did a sugar test.

Helena