Type 2 Walking Up Ben Nevis

DS3462

I am planing on walking up Ben Nevis later this summer. When I have done similar walks before I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, I used to take energy drinks, chocolate and glucose snacks to boast my energy levels. What do you recommend I take as a substitute.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might need a bit more info.. any meds ...are you following any particular way of eating?

Water would be my suggestion but you'd need to be accessing your stored body fat to use it effectively as fuel.

DS3462

Might need a bit more info.. any meds ...are you following any particular way of eating?

Water would be my suggestion but you'd need to be accessing your stored body fat to use it effectively as fuel.
I am taking 2 tablets, reduced down from 4 tablets per day of Metaformin

DS3462

And how are you eating?

How do you fuel yourself at the moment?
I have lost 4 stone and dropped from 40in waist to 36in waist in 6 months by reducing the amount I eat, no chocolate, no cakes, eat apple, nuts, whole meal bread reduced form 4 slices to 2, more fish, and try to pick food with sugar less than 5% sugar. Only have one takeaway per week, usually kebab meat and chips, salad and no sauces. Also reduced coffee from 10+ cups per day to 3 cups with one sweetener replacing sugar and 2 litres of water

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost 4 stone and dropped from 40in waist to 36in waist in 6 months by reducing the amount I eat, no chocolate, no cakes, eat apple, nuts, whole meal bread reduced form 4 slices to 2, more fish, and try to pick food with sugar less than 5% sugar. Only have one takeaway per week, usually kebab meat and chips, salad and no sauces. Also reduced coffee from 10+ cups per day to 3 cups with one sweetener replacing sugar and 2 litres of water

So kind of reduced carb rather than low carb?
Has it had a beneficial impact on your HbA1c?

As @Goonergal has suggested there are lots of lower carb snacks maybe some pork scratchings, cheese or cold meats.

Edit to add how long do you think it will take ?

Bittern

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I crossed the Pyrenees a couple of years ago and am T2 at the time taking Gliclazide and Metformin although with an Hba1c unknown to me at the time of 38. I carried dried/smoked meat, cheese, nuts, dried fruit and for emergencies a couple of muesli bars and Glucotabs. I also took about 1.5Lt water, only just enough, it was hot. I monitored my blood glucose at roughly hourly intervals as it had been a long time since I had done this amount of climbing and I wasn't sure of the effect, but I was fine. Did not need the muesli bars or Glucotabs. Suggest you do some full day walks before hand and see how your body reacts, the walks will give you an idea. But you will probably need less food than you think.

Last edited: