Very strict diet or insulin?

richcardo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everybody,
I am 77 years old, with Type 2 and have been on a very strict diet for the last few months, which has reduced my diabetes readings significantly. But the diet is extremely hard to stick too and with the tiniest lapses, my sugar level goes racing up to roughly what it was before, even though I am still being much more careful then pre-diet. Has anyone tired the diet and then decided to go over to the insulin injections to make ones life more normal?
Opinions please. Thanks!
Ricardo.

Last edited:

richcardo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome :)

which diet are you using?
Hi Brunneria, I've been working with a functional medicine doctor and she's got me on no sugar, very low carb, minimal alcohol, regular exercise - I'm not sure of the actual name of the diet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, I was mainly asking whether you are low carbing, and you are :)
And I’m sorry you are having a hard time of it.
Is it the food itself? The preparation? Having to watch others around you eat foods that you can’t?

Low Carbing should leave you with a vast range of really delicious food, but not everyone finds it an easy or comfortable transition!
Have you found sites like www.dietdoctor.com ? The recipes are delicious.

I’m sorry, I haven’t answered your question about whether I have considered going onto insulin and eating ‘normal’ carbs.
My intention is to do everything I can to avoid insulin, for as long as physically possible.
The reason is that I have very high insulin resistance, for several reasons. Even though I don’t have a diagnosis of T2, I have insulin resistance very like most type 2 diabetics do. As someone with pre-existing insulin resistance, Adding insulin injections into the mix would be a potentially harmful move. My insulin resistance would almost certainly hike higher, and with it the symptoms of metabolic syndrome, including increased risk of heart disease.

another factor in my choice to avoid carbs and the medication that would escalate while eating them, is the fact that (no matter how delicious) they sap my quality of life. Eating keto I have better energy levels, better concentration and enjoy my days much more.

So I’m pretty committed to staying off insulin for as long as physically possible.

richcardo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks for your excellent and detailed reply. I’m finding I just get frustrated with not being able to eat in the same way as friends and family and not being able to have a beer with a mate occasionally. It’s kind of like all the joyful things are off limits. That website dietdoctor.com looks good, thanks for that recommendation. It sounds like you’re doing really well on your plan - fantastic stuff.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for your excellent and detailed reply. I’m finding I just get frustrated with not being able to eat in the same way as friends and family and not being able to have a beer with a mate occasionally. It’s kind of like all the joyful things are off limits. That website dietdoctor.com looks good, thanks for that recommendation. It sounds like you’re doing really well on your plan - fantastic stuff.

There have, over the last few months, been quite a few discussions on threads about beers and social drinking (when we get back to life as ‘normal’)
If you have a Search you may find them.
My husband (who low carbs about 80% of the time) sometimes has this.
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297686430
3g carbs/bottle
He says ‘yeah, not bad’ which is a sign he quite enjoys it. :D

Reactions: KK123

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any way of eating that feels restrictive isn't going to be sustainable for the long term. That's why they are called diets and we dread them.
Most of us have found ways of adapting low carb eating so it becomes a way of eating for life, and allows treats, celebrations, family etc while still keeping our sugars reasonable.
If you put beer into the search box you'll find several threads discussing which low carb ones are best, or consider swapping to spirits. Most neat spirits are low carb, its The mixer than can be tricky. Wine isn't too carby either.

Then there are low carb versions of most foods, even jaffa cakes or brownies
I live with 2 non-diabetic men and usually manage to produce meals that have carbs for them but not for me. For example on curry night I have a larger portion of curry but no rice or breads. They have roast potatoes on a Sunday, I just skip them.

Are you the cook of the family? It can be fun trying new things

Reactions: jjraak

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I have gone very low carb with less than 20 grams a day and usually less than 10 grams a day. At the beginning I found it really difficult. I too felt that I was missing all the joy of eating. As a comfort eater from way back it was hard at the very time I needed comfort. Now I am usually okay. I focus on the things I can have and I unlike many here use artificial sweeteners.

So I eat a lot of meat, fish, eggs, cheese, cream. I have diet jelly with cream for dessert. I drink some wine but also things like vodka, gin or Bacardi with diet mixers - no carbs at all.

There are starting to be some packet mixes for things like brownies, cakes that are low carb also.

I stay low carb as a type 2 I am insulin resistant. I want to decrease that if possible. The thought of needing insulin and having to continually up the dose or suffer the possible consequences of uncontrolled diabetes keeps me very motivated. I too can't increase my carbs without seeing weight gain and higher blood sugars.

In the end though you need to do what works for you. You needy to work out what is your balance.

Good luck.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi welcome
Insulin does not mean you get to eat whatever you like, (or does not for me anyway) getting control is only achievable in conjunction with restrictive carbs.
Personally I vote “very strict diet” best of luck

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I so get where you are coming from it’s just so restricting and you have to plan everything in advance etc . I have two sides to this first I am a type 2 and I do find it so hard low carbing and not eating like my friends and family do, I’ve missed out with so many birthday cakes and Christmas goodies etc but after my first Hba1c results and seeing my levels coming down this has gave me a boost. On the other side of the coin my mother in law is type 2 and now on insulin and just eats what she wants and has so much more freedom going out for meals and having little treats etc has biscuits with her cuppas and her levels are more or less the same as mine she like you is in her 70s I am in my 50s. I know diabetes is a progressive disease that’s why I am trying to do mine with diet as I might need more meds down the line where my mother in law is doing great on the insulin and enjoying more variety of foods ‍♀️.
My dad did that and it didn’t last, even with insulin the impact of diabetes complications was catastrophic

so one case is not a good reason. She may be managing now but it’s not always straightforward, and I’ve read in here some type 1s have had to drop carbs cause the need to balance insulin to it is not always easy.

plus insulin has driving implications, hypo and other aspects. It’s not an easy fix, there is a reason nurses try to make it the very last resort.

type 2 are lucky they have alternatives. I’m not sure every type 1 would say it is freedom

I also vote low carb or maybe other diet with exercise as the approach to go

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me it’s the diet all the way. It really does feel more normal with time and practice, although I felt as you did at first and occasionally do still get frustrated at the lack of options away from home (covid solved that for now though). I’ve also got better at mixing and matching items from menus and asking for them. I’ve not been refused yet. Eg sauces over green veg instead of pasta. Extra salad and veg instead of potato’s, a mix of sides rather than a main etc.

And as I’m only 50 I have a long time left (I hope) to deal with complications should they arise. Statistically and historically controlling bgl but having high insulin levels and high insulin resistance underlying it doesn’t stop complications, merely slows them a bit. Diet seems the best way to avoid complications long term.

This balance works for me and I don’t hate the way I eat. In fact the idea of stodgy is quite unappealing now. I bake a few treats for special occasions, or if I can’t restrict myself to an occasional sliver of cake etc. I buy different treats now. A special ribeye instead of biscuits etc. If I was miserable, or being blunt had less time to factor in complications I might feel differently. All choices have consequences.

Reactions: EllieM

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. A low carb diet doesn't stop you having the proteins an fats you want so in case you have been told to avoid fats bear in mid they are OK If you are a T2 with some excess weight insulin might not help much anyway. If you are slim and always have been that wwy it's always possible you are late onset T1 so do ask for the tests for that if slim. If T1 and slim, insulin would help a lot.

Onlinecaroline

Similar to @Andydragon my father made the choice to eat what he wanted and rely on insulin. It was a path with led to severe complications and in the end the loss of his life. I know that sounds dramatic but it is true.

I would desperately love to eat a sandwich from favourite cafe and after Covid I can see it being a struggle when we begin to catch up with people again. But if anything has made me 100% sure I want to stick to low carb it’s having both my feet, me eyesight and my own kidneys.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Just to add.. insulin will not make life ‘more normal”

Yes you will be able to eat ‘more normal’

But you will need more glucose testing there are risks of hypo’s etc

So don’t assume insulin as ‘normal’. It’s Just another option

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my experience, low carb diets can be hard to adapt to in the early going but with commitment, it gets easier. I get to eat all the bacon and cheese I want, and that makes up for some of the sacrifices.

Here's the harsh reality: Low carb eating, and insulin injections take OPPOSITE approaches to "fixing" insulin resistance. The problem here is ones insulin does not work well enough to get the job done. For insulin injection, the solution to poorly working insulin is... More insulin! For low carb, the solution to poorly working insulin is to need less by not eating things that require insulin to metabolize. Controlling your diabetes with low carb eating is truly improving your health. T2 diabetes is considered a progressive chronic illness, but many people have stalled or even reversed the progress of this disease through good (low carb) nutrition. Insulin on the other hand treats the high blood glucose by forcing your body to clear it through the use of exogenous hormones. Using insulin with a high-carb diet will keep you on that progression. You will need more and more over time, and it will work less well.

Ultimately it's up to each of us. Is the impact to "quality of life" worth it for the health benefits? For me, the answer is definitely yes. I try (but somewhat kind of fail) to treat food unemotionally so I will be okay with eating in a way that prolongs my life and my quality of life. Yes, I miss things and occasionally feel deprived.

All if this is IMO of course. I have done and continue to do my own reading and research.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
I have to tell you it gets easier. Give yourself time I’d Recomend going for the low carb bits you really enjoy and maybe felt a little guilty about eating before. Bacon and eggs for breakfast ? . Steak for lunch maybe some salad if you fancy it ? Pork chop for supper maybe some green veg or salad if you fancy it. Wash it down with a glass of red? And testing along the way to find out what really is good for your body at this point in your life. I wish you well

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm an insulin-using Type 2, and for me, it hasn't been the easy route. I wouldn't have ever chosen this over diet. As part of being type 2, I'm extremely resistant to insulin so if I choose to eat a "normal" diet, then I need lots of insulin to bring my glucose levels down. The massive drawback to this is weight gain. The drawback to weight gain is more insulin resistance, requiring even higher doses of insulin. It's a circular path that's very hard to navigate.
I've found that by eating a low carb diet AND taking insulin, I can avoid gaining weight, and I need a bit less insulin.