Positive for GAD antibodies

Stone85

Hi

I have been diagnosed with type two for around a year. My ability to eat carbs was declining quickly despite oral meds so I pushed for antibody tests.

they told me today that the GAD antibodies have come back very positive but c-peptide was negative and they are referring to endo.

does anyone know what this means? Does it definitely mean I have type one and how quickly do you think I would be seen by the hospital?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
they told me today that the GAD antibodies have come back very positive but c-peptide was negative and they are referring to endo.

That's a strange way to put it. Cpeptide measures the amount of insulin you are producing, typically low in LADA/T1 (going down to zero eventually) and high in insulin resistant T2s. Can you ring back and ask what the result was and what they mean by a "negative" test?

Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That's difficult. I'm not sure what a negative C-Peptide is as it needs to have value and you can Google the ranges for T1, T2 and in between. Antibodies can sometimes time to kill beta cells so you may be a LADA in the honeymoon period. As I'm still finding, outside of childhood medics can find it difficult to define T1 versus T2 but I think you should expect to be told you are LADA in the honeymoon period based on those results.

Stone85

I’ll double check the GP results online but I’m sure the C-peptide were normal ranges and he said ‘negative’ I saw them about a week ago and was relieved it was type two. I was really shocked to get the news about the GAD which were 415 and normal is under 5.

how quickly would you expect to be seen by the diabetes team?
Thanks for all your help I’m so confused!

Stone85

So I have checked the result and I was wrong they haven’t been tested for c-peptide just two types of antibody. GAD positive and the other negative. So I guess the c-peptide might be checked by the hospital

Reactions: oldgreymare

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
So I have checked the result and I was wrong they haven’t been tested for c-peptide just two types of antibody. GAD positive and the other negative. So I guess the c-peptide might be checked by the hospital

A "strongly positive' GAD result is usually taken to indicate T1 diabetes.

I have never had a C-peptide test done, only the GAD test and then only after fighting for it for 18 months after diagnosis.

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had GAD around 400 also and the other 2 negative. C-peptides were just on the lower limit of normal range at the time of first diagnosis.

The endocrinologist said it is definitely autoimmune diabetes and that it doesn't matter if it's LADA or not as I should monitor my glucose and take insulin in both cases.

I suppose you're a T1/lada, so you will get proper treatment now. I think you should go see the doctors as soon as possible to get the definitive diagnosis and insulin.

Stone85

Thank you. I’m going to call the hospital tomorrow just to see how long I’ll be waiting for an appointment. I’ve been monitoring my sugars. Anyway due to feeling ill and aren’t terrible if I keep my carbs low so hopefully I can start with only a bit of long lasting insulin.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you. I’m going to call the hospital tomorrow just to see how long I’ll be waiting for an appointment. I’ve been monitoring my sugars. Anyway due to feeling ill and aren’t terrible if I keep my carbs low so hopefully I can start with only a bit of long lasting insulin.

Hi there, don't be afraid of using insulin, if you need it you need it if you're diagnosed with type1/LADA. If I were you I would ask for short acting (for meals) and long acting (for background) right from the start. You don't have to use any with a meal if it's a level of carbs you can still cope with, but it gives you flexibility so you can choose (dependent on what you eat and how your numbers go). There are two views on the use of insulin when first diagnosed with LADA because you are likely to be in a honeymoon period and still producing some of your own, but my Consultant said even using 1 or 2 units gives the pancreas (beta cells) a rest and prolongs the honeymoon period. Of course you can keep your carbs as low as you want but again, insulin is simply a hormone, not an enemy. x

Reactions: JMoli and ert

JustLucky

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've started out with just basal insulin, low carb and regular physical activity after meals (like walking around no matter the weather :headphone:) My glucose numbers weren't bad, but I've started losing weight pretty fast, it's actually not easy to eat enough food when you cut the carbs especially if you don't want to eat a lot of meat and don't have a whole day just to cook and tend your diabetes...
So my endocrinologist told me to take pre-meal insulin and eat more, she was right. Now my glucose numbers are even better and I have ideal weight. Post meal activity is actually a great tool to stop the spike insulin or no insulin...
I try not to take rapid insulin/eat too late in the evening (4hrs before bedtime) to prevent nighttime hypos other than that all good...
My friend who's been a diabetic all his life told me very simply: You used to have your pancreas do this for you, now you have to do it yourself...
Luckily we have all the modern tech and insulin so it's best time that's ever been to be t1... :rolleyes:

Stone85

Thanks both that is really helpful. I am worried about the insulin as I had it for my last pregnancy. I was constantly having high numbers in the morning and hypo at lunch. I’m hoping that was just the hormones and it will be much easier this time round. Thanks for the words of encouragement! I just want to see the hospital now and get diagnosis confirmed and whatever the recommended treatment is! I’m bloody starving tonight so he pasta and now feel rubbish!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was constantly having high numbers in the morning and hypo at lunch. I’m hoping that was just the hormones and it will be much easier this time round.
For one, you won't be encouraged to be as tightly controlled as in pregnacy, so you'll have some more leeway. You'll also don't have to deal with those pregnancy hormones messing with everything. And you'll have a lot more time learning, way different than everyone wanting you to get it right right now!