Insulin seems to not be lowering blood glucose or just very little

Quinapril

Hey guys

I am in such a weird position right now that I can't understand at all and am unsure what to do.

It seems that on some days insulin works great or at least somewhat good and a few units successfully lower my bg. However, a lot of times it seems that I inject with food and the sugar just ends up being higher than before eating. So I think to myself, okay maybe it wasn't enough so I take like correction shot of 3 units when my bg is 8 and it only drops to 7... After that, it seems to slowly rise back up to 8 or even 9 again.

I thought maybe my insulin pen was bad. So I got a new one and still the same..

This is honestly so frustrating.. I am motivated to get my sugars to be as good as possible. But how can I do this when my insulin doesn't seem to be effective :bored:

Any ideas what could be causing something like this?

I use basaglar and fiasp.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
How are your injection sites? Are you rotating them nicely. Overuse of one site can be an issue....

And honestly, I have days like that sometimes too. It is incredibly frustrating....

So, some other possibilities:
I find my insulin resistance goes up a lot with my bg, so I need more insulin if my bg is higher.
Otherwise, how confident are you that you are not grossly underestimating your carb intake sometimes?
If you are ill for some reason, then your insulin needs can go up.
Lastly, if you are recently diagnosed and still on your honeymoon then you can expect your insulin needs to vary just because your own body is still producing varying amounts of insulin.

Good luck.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Adverts, EU, Brussel Sprouts, Ginge & Winge.
Have you had your covid vaccinations? I've had both Pfizer jabs which increase the antibodies but as a result the body increases insulin resistance.

Quinapril

Hey everyone!

First of all, thank you for your tips and no I wasn't vaccinated yet.

I thought I will answer my own question because it may be interesting to others and maybe it might help someone figure this out.
Well, I have been researching and apparently, this happens to some people with Fiasp where after using it for few weeks / few months it starts to seem more and more like you are injecting water. So just to try and see whether this is the case for me, I got a pen of Novorapid and - problem solved!

Just a couple of units with food had a great effect, got my glucose to normal ranges and it didn't rise back up.

So if anyone is having an issue like this I would suggest bringing up changing your insulin or at least trying a different one to your doctor.

Reactions: Struma