Waking in the early hours

SOTR

I am a Type 2 and regularly wake at around 2 or 3 am. I gather this is not unusual. I need to go to the loo.
What worries me though is that I am sometimes sweating when I wake, and quite often now am worrying and stressed about something in my job or my life when I wake.
I don't want to make too much of a link between these, but could someone explain the physiology of waking while sweating, and maybe is there a physiological reason for stress/worrying at that time. Thankyou.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bear in mind that 50% of men in their 50's suffer from some prostrate enlargement. That can result in needing the loo during the night so not all symptoms are necessarily diabetes related.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
DR Google says night sweats can be caused by anxiety, so I don't think this is necessarily a T2 thing. Maybe have a chat to your GP if you're worried about it?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your night wakings are anything to do with diabetes, your blood sugars would be high or low.
It is always the first thing I check when I wake in appropriately.
I find both highs and low symptoms can include sweats.

So, whilst the wakings may not be diabetes related, they may be - only a finger prick will tell you.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an aside on this, have you gone low carb recently or really improved your blood glucose. I often found I was waking in the early hours like yourself, couldn't find a trigger then I got a Libre CGM. I found I was going low during sleep, could take an hour to get back asleep. I wonder if it was my body reacting by releasing cortisol or the like.

The first 3 profiles were the nights I kept waking, the final profile was where I slept 8 hours straight through, might be something in it especially if your body has been used to running higher sugars.

fri.PNG mon.PNG wed.PNGsat last.PNG

jonesmia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You should check your blood sugar level at 3am. I used to get up often in middle of night. I then bought myself CGM freestyle with blucon where I had set in alarms for low sugars and high sugars. Eventually i had found that my sugar was dropping low at 3 am and then accordingly made changes in my diet.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I am a Type 2 and regularly wake at around 2 or 3 am. I gather this is not unusual. I need to go to the loo.
What worries me though is that I am sometimes sweating when I wake, and quite often now am worrying and stressed about something in my job or my life when I wake.
I don't want to make too much of a link between these, but could someone explain the physiology of waking while sweating, and maybe is there a physiological reason for stress/worrying at that time. Thankyou.
I have the same problem. I think it's a hypo or "parahypo:)"