Back to square 1

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve been type 2 for a few years now and finally settled on a diet where I can control my sugar levels and have seen my h1 drop. Recently I have been feeling a little off and tired all the time so I have started testing again and have found my blood sugars are really high again 20+.
I have started back on a very low carb diet and seeing positive improvement on my tests, before meals I am between 8-9 and I know it’s still got a way come down it’s better than 15.
My big problem is breakfast, I used to tolerate bran flakes but today noticed that before breakfast my levels where at 10.4 (it’s always high in the morning) and 3 hours later it’s at 14.1.
I can have eggs some mornings but I could do with another quick breakfast idea like a cereal.
I am also on SR metformin 200mg twice a day.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been type 2 for a few years now and finally settled on a diet where I can control my sugar levels and have seen my h1 drop. Recently I have been feeling a little off and tired all the time so I have started testing again and have found my blood sugars are really high again 20+.
I have started back on a very low carb diet and seeing positive improvement on my tests, before meals I am between 8-9 and I know it’s still got a way come down it’s better than 15.
My big problem is breakfast, I used to tolerate bran flakes but today noticed that before breakfast my levels where at 10.4 (it’s always high in the morning) and 3 hours later it’s at 14.1.
I can have eggs some mornings but I could do with another quick breakfast idea like a cereal.
Is full fat greek yoghurt with berries and/or nuts an option? Also, have you recently gotten a covid-jab or had actual covid? Either could influence blood sugars for a while...

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't tolerate eggs first thing and loved having a high carb breakfast in the past. I worked out a mix of milled flaxseed and chia seed (2:1 spoons) mixed with a few other seeds and nuts plus cinnamon. I make it mainly water with a spoonful of coconut milk, and serve with double cream on top. With a coffee this works out at under 20g of carbs which is OK for me.
Otherwise you might try 90 second bread made with ground almonds, split and toasted with butter and cheese and/or ham?

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin

Some low carb breakfasts that work well for me are Kale, spring onion and chopped bacon, stir fried in butter, tinned mackerel in a tomato sauce, or a cheese and marmite sandwich (forget the bread, just two bits of cheese eaten like a sandwich, with a small spread of marmite in the middle. All usually washed down with a creamy coffee. All 3 get me through to lunch, where as cereal will leave me really hungry after a couple of hours. My blood sugar for years was over 15 when I woke, and generally hit the 20's daily, and 30's weekly. Now my morning readings are generally between 5 and 9. Good luck!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some low carb breakfasts that work well for me are Kale, spring onion and chopped bacon, stir fried in butter, tinned mackerel in a tomato sauce, or a cheese and marmite sandwich (forget the bread, just two bits of cheese eaten like a sandwich, with a small spread of marmite in the middle. All usually washed down with a creamy coffee. All 3 get me through to lunch, where as cereal will leave me really hungry after a couple of hours. My blood sugar for years was over 15 when I woke, and generally hit the 20's daily, and 30's weekly. Now my morning readings are generally between 5 and 9. Good luck!
Thanks for the idea of the marmite breadless sandwich!

Reactions: 992947x

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the ideas, I’m going to be honest there are some ingredients in there I have never heard of
I don’t mind Greek yogurt and love berries so that’s a great option especially in the warm weather.

Now this might sound a stupid but I spent a lot of time driving to and from places so some mornings if I’m running late or unable to get a breakfast at a hotel does anyone have any suggestions for something I can grab or carry with me. Ideally some sort of cereal bar but those I know are full of sugar. If there is something I can keep in the car would be great

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the ideas, I’m going to be honest there are some ingredients in there I have never heard of
I don’t mind Greek yogurt and love berries so that’s a great option especially in the warm weather.

Now this might sound a stupid but I spent a lot of time driving to and from places so some mornings if I’m running late or unable to get a breakfast at a hotel does anyone have any suggestions for something I can grab or carry with me. Ideally some sort of cereal bar but those I know are full of sugar. If there is something I can keep in the car would be great
You could skip breakfast altogether.. many of us do just that without issue.
Extending your overnight fast will be good for keeping insulin levels lower too.
Maybe try a coffee with some double cream?

Reactions: pau1200

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Thanks for the idea of the marmite breadless sandwich!
Two slices of thick ham, Spread one slice of thick ham with soft halopeno cheese,add cucumber, tomato, spring onion and a little chopped up gherkin, put the other slice of ham on top..That is my sandwich lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Two slices of thick ham, Spread one slice of thick ham with soft halopeno cheese,add cucumber, tomato, spring onion and a little chopped up gherkin, put the other slice of ham on top..That is my sandwich lol[/QUOTE

992947x

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Peperami doesn't need to be kept in the fridge. If you are running out the door and want to eat whilst in the car, I sometimes do babybel cheese too. I wouldn't keep anything too long in the car though.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There are no cereal bars that aren’t high in carbs. They are grains after all. I carry a spoon and a a fork in the car. Some garages have M and S food and there’s usually some low carb options in their stuff. I’ve resorted to a tub of egg Mayo more than once. A packet of cold sliced meat or a small cheese portion etc. There are ambient pouches of tuna (or ring pull tins) you could carry if you like it often marketed as toppers for toast or potatoes. Or plan ahead and take a packed lunch type thing in a cool box in the car. An ice pack or two (or even a plug into the lighter type cool box) should keep stuff ok most of the day.

Reactions: 992947x

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone for the replies that has helped a lot. Some great suggestions that I would never have thought of. Moving forward I need to plan ahead and be a lot stricter with my diet. Switching back to a strict low carb diet again has made me feel so much better.
Just need to start thinking out of the box or cereal box

Reactions: HSSS

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you need to grab something on the way out of the house, what about a protein bar, Trek for example have around 6-8gms of carbs per bar.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any cold meats and cheeses are easy to grab. Roll one around the other if you want to be fancy
There's an overnight variation of the ff greek yoghurt too. Simply add a spoonful or 2 of milled seeds and a a tiny bit of fruit (or cocoa or coffee) the night before and it thickens overnight. Can swap the ff greek for coconut milk or cream, or any combinations thereof . Can make up 3 or 4 times the amount as it keeps well, just gets thicker.

Hard boiled eggs are easy to transport, as are nuts and olives. Pre cooked sausages. Chicken drumsticks

NannyClover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was searching for some cereal bars to shove in our rucksacks whilst out walking. I really like the ones I found in Marks and Spencers - boxes of 4 x 40g bars
Peanut - 218 cals and 10 g carbs
Nuts, seeds and sea salt - 200 cals and 7g carbs

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you need to grab something on the way out of the house, what about a protein bar, Trek for example have around 6-8gms of carbs per bar.
That’s only a 40g bar and 17% carbs. Note so sure about some of the ingredients either. Certainly wouldn’t fill me up for long.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was searching for some cereal bars to shove in our rucksacks whilst out walking. I really like the ones I found in Marks and Spencers - boxes of 4 x 40g bars
Peanut - 218 cals and 10 g carbs
Nuts, seeds and sea salt - 200 cals and 7g carbs
The 9nine ones? They range between 20 and 30% carbs so not a low carb food really and again only 40 g bars which is why the carb count is low.

if they work for you go ahead but I can think of more filling real foods for the same carbs

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love those nut bars.
9bars
Kind bars
Aldi and Lidl both do something similar.
Very handy for grab and go breakfast, or a quick pick up to make the last hour of the afternoon bearable until dinner is served.

It is much better to test your own personal reaction to a food rather than get hung up on carb %s or g of carb.

The nut bars I eat vary from 6-16g carbs in a 30-40g bar, but they have negligible blood glucose impact (maybe 0.75 mmol/l rise at around 45mins, back to start level at 70mins). I’ll take that and be v happy.
Of course, if my personal reaction to a bar was over 2mmol/l rise at 2 hours, then I wouldn’t have it on my personal ‘approve’ list.

Reactions: HSSS

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
running late or unable to get a breakfast at a hotel does anyone have any suggestions for something I can grab or carry with me.

Small bag of nuts? Many of the small ‘local’ / ‘express’ supermarkets stock ‘protein pots’ consisting of a couple of hard boiled eggs, some plain, some with spinach. Or skip breakfast.

Bangkoktim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Guy
Lost sheep returning been through a pretty **** time in the last year with grief and Covid totally fell off my type2 life. Feeling awful put on 8 kg in weight Blood Sugar
This morning 17. How to get back on it ?