Celebrating real foods

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel I’m at least in good company if you’re getting odd results too. Your food today is pretty normal for you isn’t it? It’s very strange if you’re suddenly reacting to it.

Yes, very normal and nothing odd yesterday either. Slept well too and shot up during the night. All very odd indeed.

Reactions: OrsonKartt and DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A hungry day today.

Early lunch of an air fried poussin which had been salted with garlic and rosemary salt.
Dinner was air fried lamb ribs, coated with lemon pepper.

C6B7D112-87F9-4D3F-92CB-A7D25B140DA8.jpeg

Reactions: valuator

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Got a nice big megrim reduced in the supermarket today (its a flat fish like a sole to save you running to google).
Threw some oven chips in the oven (for my nd boys) then fried mushrooms and courgette in butter until soft, threw in last night left over cooked cauliflower and a good splodge of double cream. Put whole fish on top, covered and let it steam for about 5 minutes a side. Yum.
Should have filleted it first with hindsight as hubby doesn't do fish bones. I did fillet it once cooked but some bones had fallen into the veg and he wasn't happy.
Still very tasty and made a nice change

Reactions: Goonergal

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Real food day but something is amiss - BG really high now.
First meal at 12:00ish was a tin of mackerel in olive oil, 1/2 avocado and salad leaves. 0%Fage yoghurt and a few raspberries to follow.
Dinner was air fried chicken https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/low-carb-air-fryer-moroccan-chicken which was delicious. Had the other half avocado with it but now BG has jumped from 5.1 to 8.0 which doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. I usually only get that sort of reading after Hiit exercise session. Just have to hope it comes down quickly I guess.

A good sturdy skewer is your friend for rotisserie cooking.

"We" (as I'm not the cook here)started experimenting with the rotisserie a few months ago with great success. Before that we'd only really done a gammon on it. That was astonishingly good, and the crackling quite something else, with the natural basting, high sat of the rind, and the salt of the brine.

One thing that can be a challenge on the spit though is anything rolled and tied; lamb in particular. For some reason it tries to liberate itself from the stringing.

For that we do one of three things:
- Add more string trussing
- Use silicone bands (Lakeland do some) We also have silicone trussing bands, but they're tricky to remove without impaling
- put the join on a shelf < usually wins

Reactions: Brunneria

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well colour me impressed. My friend has been repeatedly making a spice cake from diet doctor for some months now, and keeps urging me to try it. It’s cooked in the Instant Pot - electric pressure cooker.

I have just scoffed a large slice and the texture is really amazing - so moist and light and fluffy! And that’s no mean feat when using almond flour which tends, with the best will in the world, to a certain density. Anyway if you have access to a pressure cooker then I seriously recommend that you give it a try for cakes. Of course, they are not browned, but I put some chopped pecans on top so not a problem.

It’s definitely more cake than steamed pudding but there is a bit of a cross-over. It will be drenched in double cream for pud after dinner tonight.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cake sounds good @TeddyTottie

Lots of food here today.

Started with air fried pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt. Was still hungry an hour later so had some bacon wrapped Halloumi fries.

Dinner was a cheese crusted omelette inspired by @DJC3 and @Antje77 - pre-fried some bacon and onions, then melted butter and added cheese to the bottom of the pan to form the base of the omelette before adding the bacon and onions and amazingly managing to fold the omelette in half (a first for me!). Very much enjoyed it and would be braver about letting the cheese bubble away for longer next time.

DBB2306E-6B1B-44A0-8A92-8E8B4E65DCB7.jpeg

Reactions: MrsA2 and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lots of food here today.

Started with air fried pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt. Was still hungry an hour later so had some bacon wrapped Halloumi fries.

Dinner was a cheese crusted omelette inspired by @DJC3 and @Antje77 - pre-fried some bacon and onions, then melted butter and added cheese to the bottom of the pan to form the base of the omelette before adding the bacon and onions and amazingly managing to fold the omelette in half (a first for me!). Very much enjoyed it and would be braver about letting the cheese bubble away for longer next time.

View attachment 49432
That looks amazing, can you remember roughly how long you let the butter & cheese fry for? I now have plate envy too!

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Lots of food here today.

View attachment 49432
I was going to have some cheese and salami for dinner, I see now that it will be a cheese-crusted omelette. Looks amazing!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That looks amazing, can you remember roughly how long you let the butter & cheese fry for? I now have plate envy too!

Melted the butter and then let the cheese fry for about 3 mins, then added eggs, waited a bit more, added filling (had pre-cooked that) on half, waited again then folded the ‘empty’ half over and waited another 3 or 4 minutes. It was based on this recipe, but I didn’t include any cream or use quite as much cheese (just what I had): https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/jills-cheese-crusted-keto-omelet Trick is not to have the heat too high.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Melted the butter and then let the cheese fry for about 3 mins, then added eggs, waited a bit more, added filling (had pre-cooked that) on half, waited again then folded the ‘empty’ half over and waited another 3 or 4 minutes. It was based on this recipe, but I didn’t include any cream or use quite as much cheese (just what I had): https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/jills-cheese-crusted-keto-omelet Trick is not to have the heat too high.
Thank you my omelettes need a refresh!

Reactions: DJC3 and Goonergal

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made tandoori chicken in the air fryer last night - just chicken thighs, yoghurt, lemon juice and a splash of vinegar, and whatever spices float your boat. I used ground turmeric, coriander, cumin, chilli and a bit of pre-made garam masala in case I had missed anything, ginger/garlic paste which I lazily buy from Morrison’s as frozen cubes. Left it to marinate for a couple of hours then into the air fryer. Completely yum.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sirloin steak on the bone tonight with mushrooms cooked in butter. I made a keto lemon cake in the instant pot this morning!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fritatas are a favourite here.
Last nights was
A courgette diced and fried in butter
A good portion of cooked chopped spring greens
A couple of spring onions chopped
Chives and basil from the garden
2 slices chopped ham
About 50g chorizo chopped and fried
All that lot was then mixed with 8 or 9 large eggs and a splodge of cream
Then cooked ina fry pan but finished under the grill witha sprinkle of parmesan.
Did 3 for dinner last night, 1 for lunch today and me for breakfast today.
Was very green but very tasty

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After just over a week away living off Five Guys, Nando’s and one, excellent visit to an upmarket Brazilian BBQ, with Picanha to die for, it’s back home with a bang to the air fryer and frying pan. One ginormous pork chop brined in pink salt, lemon pepper, thyme and garlic. Yum!

EAEDDB80-01DF-40A9-9555-BD8453BC295A.jpeg

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
For those who can get to Camden in London, i've gotta recommend Shaka Zulu. OMG what an experience. This meal I could not finish, managing the entire fish, stem brocolli and half of the beef ribs:

upload_2021-6-23_9-38-19.png

The beef ribs was a sharing amount that I underestimated at about 1.2 kg of meat alone. Normally a sharing amount in a restaurant I can handle, but after my breakfast of 4 scrambled eggs, 2 minted lamb steaks and berries and nuts I was primed.

The picture of the ribs does not show the bulk, so here's what the doggy bag looks like after eating half (one of these was 321 grams of meat):

upload_2021-6-23_9-45-21.png

Next days left over meat breakfast with added seabass:
upload_2021-6-23_9-47-44.png

The meal that just kept giving
upload_2021-6-23_9-49-15.png

This place is the bomb and they need to expand....now (Colchester or Ipswich next please). The fish was amazing, big qualitative and tasty. The beef was seasoned so well. With my family (and surprise of my son turning up), my fathers day with the meal was perfect. For those on animal focused LCHF, Keto, Keto Carnivore or Carnivore this is the place.

https://www.shaka-zulu.com/
Attached is the Sunday Menu,

Attachments

• Sunday Menu.pdf
    455.4 KB · Views: 129

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mbaker I’ll be heading there as soon as I can! Looks like I need to find a friend or two to come along.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mbaker I’ll be heading there as soon as I can! Looks like I need to find a friend or two to come along.
Me, for one please!
I think we should have a forum gathering there to thank each other for all the support and knowledge....while pigging out of course!