Amatrypteline Vs blood sugars

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone, I have recently been advised to take Amatrypteline daily as they think I get abdominal Migraines. I took my first one last night and went to bed with bloods at 8, then woke up at 17 so gave myself 8 units of fast acting (this would bring me down to around 8 usually), then woke up this morning and my bloods are 18! Has anyone used Amatrypteline before and found it really messes with your BG?!

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I took it and noticed no change. Could there be any other cause?

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I took it and noticed no change. Could there be any other cause?
The only other cause could be because I am in severe pain. But, I have never done insulin and had absolutely no reaction like I did last night... I am baffled.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you checked/changed your insulin and pen?
It is possible that they are not working properly

Reactions: Miriam12345

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you checked/changed your insulin and pen?
It is possible that they are not working properly
I haven't changed anything. It could be a pure coincidence. I will monitor throughout the day, but it would be interesting to see if others have had the same effect.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Severe pain would put your bgs up. I'm pretty sure my T2 dad takes amitriptyline without it doing anything to his levels, so that's a sample size of one T2 person that it doesn't effect.

Dr google says that a small number of people who take it long term get hyperglycemia?

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Severe pain would put your bgs up. I'm pretty sure my T2 dad takes amitriptyline without it doing anything to his levels, so that's a sample size of one T2 person that it doesn't effect.

Dr google says that a small number of people who take it long term get hyperglycemia?
Thank you, I read a lot on doctor Google, and as a type 1 diabetic I am curious because my doctor wants me to take it long-term. I just don't trust Dr. Google all that much, cause if I did pretty certain I would have 2 days to live haha.

Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I haven't changed anything. It could be a pure coincidence. I will monitor throughout the day, but it would be interesting to see if others have had the same effect.
Personally, I would not be willing to risk the possibility of a coincidence. If I was seeing unexplained highs, I would be changing my insulin straight away. I think of it as s small cost to pay for peace of mind and to discount a possible cause.

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I would not be willing to risk the possibility of a coincidence. If I was seeing unexplained highs, I would be changing my insulin straight away. I think of it as s small cost to pay for peace of mind and to discount a possible cause.
I am just going to monitor, it could be the fact I was in intense pain or it could be the Amatrypteline. I have been on this insulin for 21 years, so I very much doubt it is the insulin. Will see how it goes in the next few days, it's finally come down to 12, so hopefully I just need to adjust doses whilst on this new medication.

Reactions: In Response

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Amitriptyline is quite a good medicine for chronic headaches/migraine type problems. Dosage is usually quite low - 10-25mg. However, the drug group it belongs to are known to increase blood glucose levels occasionally, but this tends to happen after more than one dose. I also think as previous poster, that renewing insulin would be first I'd try, along with making sure fingers are optimal, and of course checking your sites and rotation protocol.

Edit - dosing.

Miriam12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Amitriptyline is quite a good medicine for chronic headaches/migraine type problems. Dosage is usually quite low - 10-25mg. However, the drug group it belongs to are known to increase blood glucose levels occasionally, but this tends to happen after more than one dose. I also think as previous poster, that renewing insulin would be first I'd try, along with making sure fingers are optimal, and of course checking your sites and rotation protocol.

Edit - dosing.
Thank you, yeah I have it for abdominal migraines and it has help subside then intense pain. Thanks you for reccomdation.

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Hello Everyone, I have recently been advised to take Amatrypteline daily as they think I get abdominal Migraines. I took my first one last night and went to bed with bloods at 8, then woke up at 17 so gave myself 8 units of fast acting (this would bring me down to around 8 usually), then woke up this morning and my bloods are 18! Has anyone used Amatrypteline before and found it really messes with your BG?!

I sometimes take Amitriptyline for insomnia, but it only works on the first night! I have been told it is not addictive which seemed a good thing, but it doesn't work beyond one night.....I have not yet noticed that it causes a rise in BG, but I will let you know when I can ascertain that! I know it contains Lactose which of course is a sugar.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Type 2 and I've been taking amitriptyline for migraine for three years, with the dose increased 18 months ago. I didn't see any increase in BS from this. I started on 10 mg and am now on 20mg each night.
The pills include lactose but in a very tiny amount.

Maris Piper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, yeah I have it for abdominal migraines and it has help subside then intense pain. Thanks you for reccomdation.
I have been taking Amitriptyline for 5 years for abdominal migraine and it is a life-saver. I thought there might be some effect on the Metformin I started taking in April. My GP has now changed me to Gliclazide as Metformin was no help and made no difference to BG levels. The Gliclazide is much more effective with BG levels and I have had no issues with it or the Amitryptaline. My BMI and blood pressure are within the normal range.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is the NHS advice
https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/amitriptyline-for-depression/

Ans another regarding use with insulin ( but it is based on rat experimentation)
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17227626/

The dose for migraine is much lower, starting point for depression is usually 25mg while to dose for migraine is 5-20mg so I wouldn't expect the same impact.

One of my GPs actually told me the dose wasn't doing anything and cancelled my repeat prescription when I asked (as instructed by the neurologist) to increase the dose from 5 to 10. He was new so I think he wasn't aware of the migraine doses. My neuro wrote a very strong letter to him about this.

Reactions: Oldvatr