Coke Zero - Feeling Rough

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok forget all that you thought you knew about food and healthy eating. Have a read of the links below this message and learn about low carb eating, why it works and what to eat. It’ll get control of your blood glucose levels and probably reduce if not get you off your meds. And it’s not a diet of deprivation. Meats, cheese, dairy, eggs, and even dark chocolate are all on the menu. But you do have to re-educate your mind and your tastebuds along the way.

Speaking of which with glimeperide you need to take especial care when going low carb. Changing to this way of eating is very effective and quickly. You need to keep an eye on your levels to avoid hypos and have something with you to treat them should they occur. As soon as you see levels approaching normal you need to be seeing your dr to be getting that medication reduced or stopped. Some drs that are supportive of low carb will even take people off this type of med ahead of the changeover. Here’s a link to guidance written by drs for drs advising about this if you need it to take to any appointments. https://bjgp.org/content/69/684/360

Reactions: LaoDan and EllieM

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That
Had my usual. I do a fasting blood test in the morning before breakfast and this is usually around 7-8 mmol/L. Cornflakes with semi-skimmed and a glass of water. Lunch normally involves a sandwich, packet of crisps fruit such as grapes or carrot and something like a skinny bar. 4-5 coffees during the day. Tea time varies.

Medication wise, 2000g metformin (slow release) 2mg of glimepiride

You could well be right although I'd add that's quite usual for me, the coke zero isn't. So maybe that's just tipped it over on top of the other?
Honestly, everything on your food list apart from the water and coke zero looks really problematic. If you eat very small amounts and/ or are highly active you might be able to get away with it, but I wouldn't be surprised if your high readings are based on your carb intake on some level. Ditch the coke zero and do some tests by all means, but I would think about reducing those carbs in the long term.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To get normal results I eat things such as steak and mushrooms for my first meal and then in the evening I might have low carb veges with fish or other seafood, a curry with cauliflower instead of rice, stir fry and chicken thighs - I eat no more than 40 gm of carb a day and feel very well. I have gone back to work, even though I am now 70 years old.
I used to eat a healthy cholesterol diet stuffed with starches - came close to killing me off. I was almost spherical. I used the diet sheets to light the barbecue soon after diagnosis as type two in2016 and I was in normal numbers very soon. Hba1c too by mid '17. I feel decades younger.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a great piece of anecdotal advise. It’s how I attempt to go forward. Love it!
I can't take any credit - it has been so easy - my waistline is 12 inches smaller than at the maximum, I can bend over without my rock hard 'bay window' pushing my ribs out. Wiping the bottom of the fridge might seem a very mundane thing but when you can't do it....

resander

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These high carb foods cause problems:

- white rice, potatoes (chips, boiled, mashed, old,new), pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, lasagna), - porridges
- white/brown bread
- white-flour based(cakes, biscuits,...)
- fruits (bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, pineapple...)
- some vegetables (corn, lentils, beans, sweet potato, cassava)
- soft drinks, fruit juices
- sweets, tv/cinema snacks (crisps,...)
- many take-away/ready-to-eat foods

Some low-carb vegetables are good:
(mushrooms(0.3) means: mushrooms contain 0.3g carb per 100g mushrooms)

mushrooms(0.3), cucumber(1.2), spinach(1.5), avocado(1.9), eggplant(2.0), leeks(2.0), bitter gourd(ampalaya)(2.2), celeriac(2.3), cauliflower(3.0), broccoli(3.2), green beans(3.9), swede(4.8)

and the following vegetables in smaller quantities may be tolerated:

carrots(8.0), onions(8.0), peas(9.0)

Berries are ok:
raspberries(4.6), blackberries(5.1), strawberries(6.0)
Note: full fat Authentic Greek yogurt is nice with these berries.
Eggs, beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fish and many sea foods have zero carb. Eat as much as you like, but perhaps not if you are on a slimming diet.

Mashed celeriac and mashed cauliflower (Cauliflower Rice if you buy frozen in the supermarket) are good substitutes for potatoes and rice.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
These high carb foods cause problems:

- white rice, potatoes (chips, boiled, mashed, old,new), pasta (spaghetti, macaroni, lasagna), - porridges
- white/brown bread
- white-flour based(cakes, biscuits,...)
- fruits (bananas, grapes, apples, oranges, pineapple...)
- some vegetables (corn, lentils, beans, sweet potato, cassava)
- soft drinks, fruit juices
- sweets, tv/cinema snacks (crisps,...)
- many take-away/ready-to-eat foods

Some low-carb vegetables are good:
(mushrooms(0.3) means: mushrooms contain 0.3g carb per 100g mushrooms)

mushrooms(0.3), cucumber(1.2), spinach(1.5), avocado(1.9), eggplant(2.0), leeks(2.0), bitter gourd(ampalaya)(2.2), celeriac(2.3), cauliflower(3.0), broccoli(3.2), green beans(3.9), swede(4.8)

and the following vegetables in smaller quantities may be tolerated:

carrots(8.0), onions(8.0), peas(9.0)

Berries are ok:
raspberries(4.6), blackberries(5.1), strawberries(6.0)
Note: full fat Authentic Greek yogurt is nice with these berries.
Eggs, beef, pork, lamb, chicken, fish and many sea foods have zero carb. Eat as much as you like, but perhaps not if you are on a slimming diet.

Mashed celeriac and mashed cauliflower (Cauliflower Rice if you buy frozen in the supermarket) are good substitutes for potatoes and rice.
Any rice, pasta potatoes, bread etc just the white ones. The brown/wholemeal/wholegrain “might” absorb a little slower but they contain as many carbs and the slightly lower rise will last longer instead

nothing wrong with the treat type things you list on a slimming diet. The very vast majority of us T2 lose weight by cutting the carbs as these are the thing we can deal with and store as fat. Not sure why you think they will hinder weight loss.