Help

Dawn999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Telling a diabetic to 'Eat as much fruit as you like' is like telling someone with pulmonary obstructive disease to vape as much as they like as long as they stay off cigarettes. Your nurse is unfit for purpose.

- saying fruit is better than starchy snacks or sweets might be defensible, but as much as you like would almost guarantee serious problems in the future.

Dawn999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It did. I thought I was doing great eating 6 tangerines on a night shift instead of chocolate. She also advises minimal meat and dairy although she did say she was a vegetarian so I'm thinking this advice was more her beliefs than anything else. Fruit, vegetables, seeds and nuts were pretty much it and snacking between meals was recommended although I've gone off her idea of shop bought granola health bars as I'd be aswell just eating 2 spoons of sugar 3 times a day. I'll tell her what I'm doing the next time I see her but the fact I'm losing weight and my glucose levels are lower she can't say I'm doing wrong.

Reactions: Antje77

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've gone off her idea of shop bought granola health bars as I'd be aswell just eating 2 spoons of sugar 3 times a day
Have you come across Dr Unwin's infographics comparing common foods to spoonfuls of sugar? Unforgettable! Maybe print some out and give to your nurse as a gift?
https://phcuk.org/sugar/

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and I'm trying to get used to what foods do to my blood sugar. The last 2 days when I've woken up my levels are already high before I've eaten. Can not eating enough the day before make my levels high?
Yes, that is what I see. I eat early in the day to stop continued increases.
The advice from your nurse is criminal.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'll tell her what I'm doing the next time I see her but the fact I'm losing weight and my glucose levels are lower she can't say I'm doing wrong.[/QUOTE]

I think you're doing great, but I would actually suggest being a bit more vague about your diet: just tell the nurse you're following a healthy diet like she advised, and everyone's happy. If you point out you're doing the opposite of what she said and getting better results, it will only draw you into a pointless argument that gets you nowhere.

Reactions: Dawn999

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll tell her what I'm doing the next time I see her but the fact I'm losing weight and my glucose levels are lower she can't say I'm doing wrong.

I think you're doing great, but I would actually suggest being a bit more vague about your diet: just tell the nurse you're following a healthy diet like she advised, and everyone's happy. If you point out you're doing the opposite of what she said and getting better results, it will only draw you into a pointless argument that gets you nowhere.[/QUOTE]
I am going to respectfully disagree. Every time we tell our medical staff about the benefits and results of low carbing, we are driving another nail into the coffin of the current thinking. At the every least, the nurse will have heard an alternative treatment which works. No need to argue or continue the conversation if someone responds negatively. The results speak for themselves.

Reactions: Dawn999

Dawn999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll tell her what I'm doing the next time I see her but the fact I'm losing weight and my glucose levels are lower she can't say I'm doing wrong.

I think you're doing great, but I would actually suggest being a bit more vague about your diet: just tell the nurse you're following a healthy diet like she advised, and everyone's happy. If you point out you're doing the opposite of what she said and getting better results, it will only draw you into a pointless argument that gets you nowhere.[/QUOTE]
Actually you're probably right. What she doesn't know and all that.

Dawn999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you're doing great, but I would actually suggest being a bit more vague about your diet: just tell the nurse you're following a healthy diet like she advised, and everyone's happy. If you point out you're doing the opposite of what she said and getting better results, it will only draw you into a pointless argument that gets you nowhere.
I am going to respectfully disagree. Every time we tell our medical staff about the benefits and results of low carbing, we are driving another nail into the coffin of the current thinking. At the every least, the nurse will have heard an alternative treatment which works. No need to argue or continue the conversation if someone responds negatively. The results speak for themselves.[/QUOTE]
Having weighed up both sides of the argument I'm going to play the long game and suss her out a bit more. I've only had one face to face so I'll go easy until I know her a bit better. Best not to start a war this early or she'll think I'm a know it all when I'm still new to this. A wee bit further down the line I'll push on what has worked for me.

Dawn999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed in 2018 and have never been on medication. In January of this year i didnt feel well and rang my GP who said I had a UTI. It took ages to clear up and I still wasn't right so he did an HBA1c and it had gone to 84. I was upset because I had been eating well and exercising but hadnt been testing my sugar levels as told not to by the D nurse. I bought a meter and started testing. I found out that any cereals, pasta, rice, and bread spike my levels so I don't eat those now. I also joined the low carb programme via a link on this site. Very helpful and informative. Through following low carb and testing I started to see my weight drop and my numbers. I then got a free place on second nature which is run in conjunction with the NHS ( I looked up diabetic services in my NHS area and found the link there and applied) Again so helpful. I received a recipe book, hand book, digital weighing scales and a fitness tracker and got the services of a nutritionist and health coach. My latest HBA1c was 48 and I have lost 1 stone 10 bs. My DN thinks I could go in to remission.
I think testing before and 2 hours after meals is so helpful to find out what you can and can't eat as we are all different. I can eat berries with no issues but I do watch my portion sizes. I also downloaded the lists of green, amber and red foods and started by only eating those from the green list., Now I eat some foods off the amber list in moderation. I eat an apple occasionally but only a small one as the fibre etc is good for you. It isn't easy but it can be done but I needed that initial support I got and still get from the programmes I joined and sites like this
I was told not to test either but did the and a you and got a meter after about 4 weeks off not knowing if what I was doing was working. I find measuring motivates me to keep myself in check as I've got poor willpower. I've found that some foods that I thought were safe options are actually a bad as some sweets. I'm no dafty and know that I've had terrible eating habits for years and always had some feeble excuse for eating junk knowing this would be the result but never actually thought it could get this bad. I do think sugar is the most addictive substance out there and its been the hardest thing I've had to give up but I'll get there. My weight has dropped but I'm not weighing as I'm going on my clothes getting looser instead. Best I'm only obsessing over one set of numbers.