Blood sugar levels staying high for several hours

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
So back to your 3 meals a day then if works don’t change it but glad you found the reasons for it.

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the updates - it's really helpful information for those of us who are trying to figure out bizarre patterns.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, how? What does it feel like?
I get like a wave of nausea, then a hot flush type feeling, then I go very cold. The whole cycle lasts about 2-3 mins. If I test, my blood sugar level raises about 4-5 points very quickly. It stays high for hours, so it looks like I need to time my meals to catch my body before it panics and dumps. I am a weird type 2 diabetic.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS. I am working out that the going down to 3 is a rebound of the dump, I don't know why my blood sugar levels swing like that and my liver has some serious timing issues, despite a stern talking to.

Dandelade

I get like a wave of nausea, then a hot flush type feeling, then I go very cold. The whole cycle lasts about 2-3 mins. If I test, my blood sugar level raises about 4-5 points very quickly. It stays high for hours, so it looks like I need to time my meals to catch my body before it panics and dumps. I am a weird type 2 diabetic.
Hi Lucy, yes I’m the same too, and can feel when I’m going to get a liver dump. I faffed around with fasting paying attention to how my body was feeling at the start to see if I could tell when highs or lows were happening. I had the exact same thing - a rise if I get below 4 and a feeling of nausea, tiredness, and agitation before a rise without eating.

I just thought it was that feeling people got when describing false hypos and everyone felt it - do they not?!

Reactions: lucylocket61

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A recent new development for me is that my post meal high is not coming down for 4 or 5 hours. For example: I go from 6 to around 8 at the two hour mark, so the amount of carbs I am eating is fine. But I have also been testing 3 hours after eating, and 4 hours after eating, and its still 8. It takes about 5 hours to go back to 6 again.

This is happening after each meal, no matter whether its green veg and protein, or cheese, or a salad. Its only a rise of 2 points, but it stays there for ages. I found this out after doing my usual monthly 3 day intensive testing thingy of testing, to check all is still well.

Any ideas of how to get the blood sugar levels down quicker again?

A quick answer to unhelpful ideas, so they wont get suggested: my carb intake is fine, lowering it doesnt help, the gap between pre and post meal is 2 or less. No, I am not going to fast or do OMAD as that makes me ill. Yes, I have several health issues i have to take into consideration. No, my other health issues havent changed. No, I havent changed my way of eating or the timings. No, I am not on any additional or different medications.

I simply want to know if anyone else has a slow blood sugar reduction, if anyone knows why.
Just some speculation on my part: Long Covid's fatigue is at least in part caused by red blood cells losing their round shape. They don't hold on to oxygen effectively so you end up with less oxygen going to where it needs to go, muscles, extremities, all of it. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33758711/ for instance)

...If blood is altered, maybe it alters more than just oxygen circulation...? Maybe them being all whacked out of shape affects blood glucose as well, considering there are many, many people post-covid who have had blood sugar issues?

Assuming our bone marrow will get back to producing normal cells eventually (which I really hope is the case), blood sugar control as well as the LC-fatigue could resolve, would be my guess... In which case it'd be a matter of handling it as you are now, and waiting it out.

Just thinking aloud though. I have just guesses to go on, alas. I'm just glad you've figured the regular-meal thing out, I don't think I would've thought of that myself!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Lucy, yes I’m the same too, and can feel when I’m going to get a liver dump. I faffed around with fasting paying attention to how my body was feeling at the start to see if I could tell when highs or lows were happening. I had the exact same thing - a rise if I get below 4 and a feeling of nausea, tiredness, and agitation before a rise without eating.

I just thought it was that feeling people got when describing false hypos and everyone felt it - do they not?!
Many people feel the lows, the so called false hypos. I hate that term as it trivialises how horrible they are for those experiencing them, in my opinion.

However, it seems few experience and feel the very fast highs with the unpleasant symptoms. Perhaps it needs talking about more. It might help with personal decision making about fasting and omad if the liver dump spikes were taken into account.

After all, a spike lasting hours, whether caused by liver dumps or food intake, is equally not good, right?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just some speculation on my part: Long Covid's fatigue is at least in part caused by red blood cells losing their round shape. They don't hold on to oxygen effectively so you end up with less oxygen going to where it needs to go, muscles, extremities, all of it. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33758711/ for instance)

...If blood is altered, maybe it alters more than just oxygen circulation...? Maybe them being all whacked out of shape affects blood glucose as well, considering there are many, many people post-covid who have had blood sugar issues?

Assuming our bone marrow will get back to producing normal cells eventually (which I really hope is the case), blood sugar control as well as the LC-fatigue could resolve, would be my guess... In which case it'd be a matter of handling it as you are now, and waiting it out.

Just thinking aloud though. I have just guesses to go on, alas. I'm just glad you've figured the regular-meal thing out, I don't think I would've thought of that myself!
Very interesting points I hadn't considered. Thank you.

Dandelade

Many people feel the lows, the so called false hypos. I hate that term as it trivialises how horrible they are for those experiencing them, in my opinion.

However, it seems few experience and feel the very fast highs with the unpleasant symptoms. Perhaps it needs talking about more. It might help with personal decision making about fasting and omad if the liver dump spikes were taken into account.

After all, a spike lasting hours, whether caused by liver dumps or food intake, is equally not good, right?
I agree, it’s not trivial. I’m fairly new so no idea what’s usual or very high. I know I definitely get a spike into the teens with fasting (when am 5/6s the rest), and I also get the tiredness, fatigue and headache that comes with it.

If I keep to 5/6s I feel ok and am blessed that I’ve been able to do so with low carb and regular meals.

I do feel I’ve got something else going on as well mind you that sound similar to you, with fatigue after activity, even when blood sugar levels are fine. I’ve tried upping protein/ fats (separately of course) and neither have helped. I’ve had Covid twice and I think probably long Covid, and now diabetic level sugars after carbs. Maybe it all is long Covid? Or thyroid? Or something related to diabetes I haven’t figured out yet? There’s a lot in your posts I can see in myself.

Anyway, I think I’m here so often to have a sense of comfort seeing others going through it (though I’m really sorry anyone is!). So yes, having people talk about it does help and thank you for sharing.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
A recent new development for me is that my post meal high is not coming down for 4 or 5 hours. For example: I go from 6 to around 8 at the two hour mark, so the amount of carbs I am eating is fine. But I have also been testing 3 hours after eating, and 4 hours after eating, and its still 8. It takes about 5 hours to go back to 6 again.

This is happening after each meal, no matter whether its green veg and protein, or cheese, or a salad. Its only a rise of 2 points, but it stays there for ages. I found this out after doing my usual monthly 3 day intensive testing thingy of testing, to check all is still well.

Any ideas of how to get the blood sugar levels down quicker again?

A quick answer to unhelpful ideas, so they wont get suggested: my carb intake is fine, lowering it doesnt help, the gap between pre and post meal is 2 or less. No, I am not going to fast or do OMAD as that makes me ill. Yes, I have several health issues i have to take into consideration. No, my other health issues havent changed. No, I havent changed my way of eating or the timings. No, I am not on any additional or different medications.

I simply want to know if anyone else has a slow blood sugar reduction, if anyone knows why.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi so I am very new but can I ask that when you test your blood sugar 2 hrs after a meal; in those 2 hrs do you drink anything? I drink Pepsi max constantly I kno I shouldn’t but I feel it is a treat I can enjoy, or do you just have water until you test? X.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi so I am very new but can I ask that when you test your blood sugar 2 hrs after a meal; in those 2 hrs do you drink anything? I drink Pepsi max constantly I kno I shouldn’t but I feel it is a treat I can enjoy, or do you just have water until you test? X.
artificial sweeteners trigger my glucose response so I avoid them, as does a lot of caffeine. They shouldnt, but the sweet taste triggers my body into thinking I am going to have something sweet, so it acts like i have had a sugary food or drink by releasing insulin (I think thats right) and increasing my insulin resistance. It might be worth you starting a different thread on the subject?

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Yes
artificial sweeteners trigger my glucose response so I avoid them, as does a lot of caffeine. They shouldnt, but the sweet taste triggers my body into thinking I am going to have something sweet, so it acts like i have had a sugary food or drink by releasing insulin (I think thats right) and increasing my insulin resistance. It might be worth you starting a different thread on the subject?
Yes I will thank you. X