Blood sugar levels staying high for several hours

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A recent new development for me is that my post meal high is not coming down for 4 or 5 hours. For example: I go from 6 to around 8 at the two hour mark, so the amount of carbs I am eating is fine. But I have also been testing 3 hours after eating, and 4 hours after eating, and its still 8. It takes about 5 hours to go back to 6 again.

This is happening after each meal, no matter whether its green veg and protein, or cheese, or a salad. Its only a rise of 2 points, but it stays there for ages. I found this out after doing my usual monthly 3 day intensive testing thingy of testing, to check all is still well.

Any ideas of how to get the blood sugar levels down quicker again?

A quick answer to unhelpful ideas, so they wont get suggested: my carb intake is fine, lowering it doesnt help, the gap between pre and post meal is 2 or less. No, I am not going to fast or do OMAD as that makes me ill. Yes, I have several health issues i have to take into consideration. No, my other health issues havent changed. No, I havent changed my way of eating or the timings. No, I am not on any additional or different medications.

I simply want to know if anyone else has a slow blood sugar reduction, if anyone knows why.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Yes, I have several health issues i have to take into consideration. No, my other health issues havent changed.

Do your other health conditions permit exercise? Could you walk it off?

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found a 20-30 minute walk after meals helpful in lowering blood sugar, if that's an option for you.

Reactions: EllieM

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cant do some exercise after every meal. I want to stop it happening in the first place. My figure is fine at the two hour stage, it doesnt rise further, it just plateaus for another two hours after that. Exercise including walking is very hard for me. I am still recovering from long covid, which seems to have set off my ME/CFS again, up to a point. I can function, but there is no energy left for anything but the daily necessities.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a few rogue readings like that but normally one offs.
So are we looking at a reduction in insulin production or an increase in insulin resistance, difficult to tell with a formal test like an extended OGTT with insulin.
No, I am not on any additional or different medications.

Pharmacy haven't changed any of your medications to other generic brands.

You're an experienced & knowledgeable poster @lucylocket61, what would you advise a newbie with the same issues ?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @lucylocket61 ,

Possible recent drop in temperature reducing insulin sensitivity reflecting the prolonged higher BGs? (Lack of the drop.)
Any recent consistent stress?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination on "long COVID." (Who is at this point in time.)
Could this be a factor? (Even as contribution to the aforementioned stress?)

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had a few rogue readings like that but normally one offs.
So are we looking at a reduction in insulin production or an increase in insulin resistance, difficult to tell with a formal test like an extended OGTT with insulin.

Pharmacy haven't changed any of your medications to other generic brands.

You're an experienced & knowledgeable poster @lucylocket61, what would you advise a newbie with the same issues ?
I havent come across this before, which is why I am asking on here - I am outside my experience and knowledge zone : )

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @lucylocket61 ,

Possible recent drop in temperature reducing insulin sensitivity reflecting the prolonged higher BGs? (Lack of the drop.)
Any recent consistent stress?

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination on "long COVID." (Who is at this point in time.)
Could this be a factor? (Even as contribution to the aforementioned stress?)
I am wondering if this is a lasting effect of the really high levels I experience in the first couple of months during and after getting covid. I had covid in April 2020, when it first got going in the UK. But I was fine for ages after that in terms of blood sugar levels. This has happened in the last couple of months. I will have more of a think. Thanks.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am wondering if this is a lasting effect of the really high levels I experience in the first couple of months during and after getting covid. I had covid in April 2020, when it first got going in the UK. But I was fine for ages after that in terms of blood sugar levels. This has happened in the last couple of months. I will have more of a think. Thanks.

It's a "wood for the trees" thing sometimes? Long COVID has had a documented effect on indeviduals? Even the athletic types in thir prime have recovered from C19 & then discovered they struggle climbing stairs.. Some sort of metabolism change? Some documented long covid symptoms sound a little like "ME?"
I'm only surmising.

Stress. I don't suffer stress. But I have noticed consistently a BG rise of a couple of points jumping behind the wheel of my works truck? (More noticeable using a CGM set up.) I love the job, so I'm not saying I have axiety in the position.
but dislike Fords & am wary of the size of this vehicle..
Just one example of what a liver dump could do..

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Would it be worth seeing how you get on with metformin to see if this makes a change?
It wouldn't address the issue after food, but it might reduce the amount of glucose your liver is constantly adding.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
A recent new development for me is that my post meal high is not coming down for 4 or 5 hours. For example: I go from 6 to around 8 at the two hour mark, so the amount of carbs I am eating is fine. But I have also been testing 3 hours after eating, and 4 hours after eating, and its still 8. It takes about 5 hours to go back to 6 again.

This is happening after each meal, no matter whether its green veg and protein, or cheese, or a salad. Its only a rise of 2 points, but it stays there for ages. I found this out after doing my usual monthly 3 day intensive testing thingy of testing, to check all is still well.

I have always found that a zero carb meal such as cheese or eggs drops by BG (presumably by switching my liver out of glucose dumping mode). So I'm surprised that chees would give you any BG rise at all (much less a 2.0 mmol rise that lasts for many hours).
I don't want to alarm you, but I can only think of 2 possibilities:
1. Long Covid is affecting your BG or your Insulin production or Insulin resistance.
2. Your Beta cells are starting to give up and so you are becoming insulin deficient like a Type 1.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate to say it because I've failed in self management, this is the exact thing happened to me, my numbers were often much higher but I was using the libre and what went up did not come back down, it was the reason I was *forced* onto insulin, its the only thing that worked, they tried everything else, low carb eating no longer worked, this is not a very positive post I'm sorry.
I'm sure you will find a nicer answer.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be worth asking for tests to rule out Type 1 @lucylocket61 particularly in view of having had Covid and long Covid. It seems there has been a lot of Type 1 diagnosis following the illness.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have no helpful advice but I would like to say that I feel for you ,it must be so frustrating not to be able to find any this is happening ,hang in there !
Carol

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies. I am surprised how fast this has happened, if it is my pancreas packing up. I always assumed that my diabetes would slowly and gradually decline. Instead I have had a decade (post initial type 2 diagnosis) of single figures and then, 6-8 weeks ago, a leap into the teens a lot of the time.

I am glad I found this site 10 years ago, within weeks of my diagnosis. It has kept me safe from further decline and medication for 10 years, with no complications. I will contact my diabetic nurse soon, if this continues to the end of the month, or if anything else happens.

I really dont want the slow increasing and addition of diabetic meds and would rather go straight on to insulin, to be honest.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I may be on to something here - a few months ago I switched to just 2 meals a day, 4 hours apart, and fasting the rest of the day. Thats when the figures started to go high. Today I spaced out three meals, 4-5 hours between each one, and I stayed in single figures all day and evening. I will keep monitoring. Perhaps my crazy liver, which lets me go down to 2-3 before kicking in sometimes, doesnt like me leaving long gaps between meals and sends out big liver dumps.

watch this space...........

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 3 and back to 5's pre meals and 7's post meals. I haven't changed what I eat at all. It seems that breakfasts and regularly spaced meals make a huge difference to the way my body processes food.

I hope this information helps others if they are having similar difficulties. It's another option to try.

Reactions: ZoeinKent

Dandelade

Day 3 and back to 5's pre meals and 7's post meals. I haven't changed what I eat at all. It seems that breakfasts and regularly spaced meals make a huge difference to the way my body processes food.

I hope this information helps others if they are having similar difficulties. It's another option to try.
I’m the same - if I skip a meal I get rise without eating anything, a liver dump I think?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 8 (I think) and still in the 6's and 7's through spacing my meals out by around 5 hours apart. Closer together, and I spike. Further apart and I can feel my liver dump just before I eat. So regular meals are the way to go for me.