NHS Low Calorie Diet Programme

Sunnysky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I found out I was type 2 diabetic a few weeks ago when I was reading my medical records on line - no one had thought to tell me so I had to ask my GP and she confirmed it. Since then I have had a meeting with the diabetic nurse at my health centre. I asked her if there were any courses I could go on for support as was feeling a bit overwhelmed by the diagnosis. She told me about the NHS LCD which I thought sounded good and so I signed up. However, since then I have received the sample shakes provided before you start the programme so you can decide which flavours to order.
There are 5 flavours and they are all really sweet even the vegetable and chicken soup one. I don't have a sweet tooth and so feel quite disappointed about this and don't know if realistically I will be able to just consume these for the first 12 weeks. There is no way I would normally drink a strawberry, banana or chocolate flavoured shake! I was surprised they have so much sugar in them as they will be taken by diabetics. They seem really unhealthy. As well as the LCD you also get weekly support meetings which I think I would find helpful but not sure if I can deal with drinking the shakes for so many weeks. I know there are better low calorie diets such as the Blood Sugar Diet and I did this quite successfully but for me I am attracted to the ongoing support provided with the programme and so feel conflicted about doing it. I was wondering if anyone else has been on this programme and what they thought about it.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Please make your opinion of the shakes know to those organizing the diet - they might be able to suggest meals you could use as an alternative.
I could not use them myself, as I have been eating low carb for years and my sense of taste has become a lot more sensitive.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice would be to avoid anything based around 'Calories' as it's a pretty meaningless term and based on weak science when it comes to what you eat. You need to focus on the three main food groups and the best mix bearing in mind that carbs are the biggest contributor to weight and blood sugar gain. Sadly the NHS doesn't understand that. So keep the carbs down and have enough proteins and fats to keep you feeling full. You don't need to follow any particular diet plan. Look at the back of food packaging and note Total Carbs. A good start point might be 150gm/day max of carbs but see what works for you.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Just wow. As a species we have been on Earth how long, no society has ever eaten like that. Your instincts are correct, their method simply sucks, literally. If you base your meals on learning how to combine whole foods the benefits will be a natural way of eating that has sustainability built in.

As an alternative you could start with protein at every meal (my selection is animal meat or fish of between a third to half a plate), and some some low sugar vegetables and or berries. If there isn't enough fat in accompanying the protein then maybe some avocado, cheese or similar.

optimist1

For a cookie cutter method of bring T2 under control in the short term. That they can just roll out and still keeping the dietitians happy, because it's low fat. Very low calorie shouldn't be sold short. We know low carb is a better way and a few doctors use it.