Please don’t shoot me, I can’t help it

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Thank you, do you find your sugars come down after the Kit Kat/cake?
Ohhh shame about the crisps and soup…I thought lentil soup would be low in carbs? I’m obvs wrong about that then.
Yes if I exercise (even a walk) then yes - you have to try it for you to see if you can eat it. I think the soup was fine, it was WW; just the crisps and I just sat in front of TV after. Xx.

Reactions: HurricaneHippo

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Depending on the brand and portion size of course... I googled and found a portion of lentil soup contains 26g carbs. A pack of crisps has 13g carbs.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
As the others have said, dark chocolate is a winner. I like to have it with espresso. Could you have red wine or a diet gin and tonic for a treat? Pistachios are a good treat, except I could eat a 2lb bag in one sitting.
I always try to keep plenty of assorted nuts in my cupboard, just for that 'what else can I have' moment :)

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I’m very nearly veggie so it’s soooo hard. X
SuNuman, I was very nearly all veggie too before starting low carb recently. However I got in some good quality beefburgers to try (knowing that my daughter could have them if I didn't adjust) but when placed on top of a huge salad and squirted with mayonnaise they made the most delicious meal. I also tried the same (the salad) with sausages and again really enjoyed it :) x

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yep could be that. Also not had a wink of sleep last night and assumed my sugars would be sky high. It was 4.2.
I went to bed extremely hungry but suppressed it and thought it would go away and tbh it did by the time I got into bed, however I just couldn’t sleep. No rhyme or reason

I admire your motivation and dedication btw!
You should NEVER feel hungry if you are eating plenty of high protein, fats etc? You don't have to starve yourself at all on this LC/HF diet. Are you drinking enough, because sometimes when you think you are hungry you actually need a drink. I like a glass of Almond milk some evenings with a square of my Lindt.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes if I exercise (even a walk) then yes - you have to try it for you to see if you can eat it. I think the soup was fine, it was WW; just the crisps and I just sat in front of TV after. Xx.
WW Lentil soup has 13.3 carbs per serving SuNuman so maybe a little high? I tend to not go over 9 carbs with most foods myself, and of course you also had crisps so that would raise you even higher. I've just bought some crisps to try that are 0.7g per 28g serving! They are plant based Hummus crisps and I've bought the tomato & basil flavour to try. Not opened them yet. :)

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
My go to when craving something sweet is peanut butter, a spoonful would get me through the hard times.

Also, mixing up yogurt and chocolate whey protein is pretty awesome.

aard

I'm gonna get lynched for saying this a can of coke. Doesn't seem to send my blood sugars sky high like pastry an bread.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm gonna get lynched for saying this a can of coke. Doesn't seem to send my blood sugars sky high like pastry an bread.
Yes I've read that somewhere aard, about that and other similar drinks! I've never tried Coke or Pepsi or whatever in my whole life. lol I'm put off by the fizziness :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
A tactic that works is to retrain your taste to savoury. This has a stack of advantages for health, satiety and what your mind perceives as sweet. Importantly cravings all but disappear with the focus going towards looking forward to real food. It is likely other eating patterns keep a part of your system in the sweet category.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it's simply a craving for something sweet and I'm not actually hungry I sometimes opt for a non food alternative like cleaning my teeth. Chocolate tastes awful after the teeth have been cleaned.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
WW Lentil soup has 13.3 carbs per serving SuNuman so maybe a little high? I tend to not go over 9 carbs with most foods myself, and of course you also had crisps so that would raise you even higher. I've just bought some crisps to try that are 0.7g per 28g serving! They are plant based Hummus crisps and I've bought the tomato & basil flavour to try. Not opened them yet. :)
Hi. So any individual food containing under 9 carbs per serving you think should b ok? But then we are all Different and tolerate different things. But that is a good guide. Thank you. Crisps sounds v nice. Xx.

Reactions: coby

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
SuNuman, I was very nearly all veggie too before starting low carb recently. However I got in some good quality beefburgers to try (knowing that my daughter could have them if I didn't adjust) but when placed on top of a huge salad and squirted with mayonnaise they made the most delicious meal. I also tried the same (the salad) with sausages and again really enjoyed it :) x
I kno; I do eat bacon when it is really burnt. But a lot of meat I could not eat. Today in my lunch break I just had some ham. The tablets make me not hungry anyway. I will try that with the sausages I think (again if completely chargrilled). Thanks. X.

Lakeslover

Nothing todo with sweet stuff but someone on here suggested cheesies as a replacement for crisps. They are made with just cheese, baked and popped somehow to make crispy cubes. They taste really nice and are a good carb free alternative to crisps. You can buy them in Holland and Barrett or online on Amazon.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. So any individual food containing under 9 carbs per serving you think should b ok? But then we are all Different and tolerate different things. But that is a good guide. Thank you. Crisps sounds v nice. Xx.
Hi SuNuman! For myself, YES! and I am keeping as low as I can to get my figures down. It's amazing how it all adds up if you don't set a target amount I find I don't want to go as low as Keto but I think I'm having about 40gms of carbs per day. xx

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As the others have said, dark chocolate is a winner. I like to have it with espresso. Could you have red wine or a diet gin and tonic for a treat? Pistachios are a good treat, except I could eat a 2lb bag in one sitting.

I hear you with the pistachios- I saw a massive bag in Costco and thought yes and then last minute put them away. I love them too much

HurricaneHippo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should NEVER feel hungry if you are eating plenty of high protein, fats etc? You don't have to starve yourself at all on this LC/HF diet. Are you drinking enough, because sometimes when you think you are hungry you actually need a drink. I like a glass of Almond milk some evenings with a square of my Lindt.

Almond milk with a square of Lindt sounds really nice- would never have thought of that

am now wondering whether I should be eating more. Been trying to do one meal a day but I think I’m not getting my entire 1500 some days

Reactions: coby