Metformin muscle pain

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Has anyone experienced muscle pain from metformin? I had a fall a couple of months ago, but I am not sure if metformin is not related or independent of that. I wonder if I should stop metformin *for a while*; I am only taking metformin 1000mg, insulin, and glyclazide. Thank you for reporting any experience you have had with metformin.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had problems with statins causing pains, but not with Metformin, and I was until recently on max dose for over a decade. I did experience aches arising after exercise, similar to the tired feeling after running a race. This is a buildup of lactic acid in the muscles, combined with poor circulation.

I am off the Metformin now and if anything my aches and pains have gotten worse. My sugar levels have risen by about 1.5 mmol/l which is as expected.

Metformin and kidney problems do not mix well, because of the lactic acid. It is contraindicated if your GFR is low for your age.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I had problems with statins causing pains, but not with Metformin, and I was until recently on max dose for over a decade. I did experience aches arising after exercise, similar to the tired feeling after running a race. This is a buildup of lactic acid in the muscles, combined with poor circulation.

I am off the Metformin now and if anything my aches and pains have gotten worse. My sugar levels have risen by about 1.5 mmol/l which is as expected.

Metformin and kidney problems do not mix well, because of the lactic acid. It is contraindicated if your GFR is low for your age.

Thank you Oldvatr,

That's quite consistent with my experience. I, too have been on it for about 12 yrs. with a higher dose at first. As I have Stage 3 kidney function, and an inability to walk more since my knee injury, it would not be surprising that Metformin causes muscle aches, mostly in the large muscle groups.