Today

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Today is my birthday.

In the past year there have been so many life changing events that have happened it's a year I won't forget. Without wishing to bore you all silly, I have grabbed the anxiety, panic attacks and agoraphobia I have had for the past 30 years, shaken it by the neck and sent it packing, more or less. I never bowed down to it but it blighted my life..now it has no hold over me. :)

My daughter with special needs moved out, thing did not go as planned but for the moment she is happy. More importantly she doesn't feel the need to return home so we must have done something right. :)

I have a new opportunity at life, to be able to go out and get a job, to go where I want, when I want, get up when I want, go to bed when I want. :)

In the past year, I was also diagnosed with diabetes type 2. I haven't taken it well and have struggled. I still am struggling, not sure what to do for the best for myself. In so many ways I am very strong, have had to be but when it comes to food and my "comfort", I am lost.

Actually, I was lost. There has been such a wealth of info on here about diet and treatment that I have been spoilt for choice. To let go of a food "habit" is a very hard thing to do but I think I can do it now. I want to be well, I have had enough ill health in my life and don't want the complications of diabetes.

My scales have gone up the creek and my test strips are finished, no matter. Common sense at the end of the day, all I can do is my best and what I think will work for me. I need to lose a lot of weight but I need to be able to do it without "dieting"..I think I have found my own personal "happy medium".

I thought I had accomplished all I wanted to in 2011 but I have a feeling 2012 is going to the year when I acknowledge that yes, my diabetes really isn't going to go away and yes, I can kick it's backside anyway. I can lose weight by eating food I enjoy in reasonable portions and realise that this is my choice, not a lifestyle I follow reluctantly.

Thanks to anyone who managed to get to the end of this long blurb!

Take care all :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Happy Birthday ladybird64!

People who are born on January 28th are the coolest people of all (it's my birthday too - albeit probably a more traumatic one fo me than for you).

Sounds like you are motivated for a whole year of kicking diabetes up the bum. Well done!

By the way, there are no carbs in birthday cake - if you eat it on your birthday.

I'm celebrating mine by running around a cold park in the cold with 800 strangers, trying to prove that I'm still young.

Happy Birthday again! :clap:

Stephen

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done ladybird, and happy birthday. One step at a time eh. Good luck and well done for defeating a horrible disabling thing as agrophobia, kick it in the teeth.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Birthday to you both, hope you each have a good day!
May 2012 be a good one.
Angie

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Happy birthday both of you. Have a lovely day :thumbup:

Grazer

Happy birthday to both of you! As well as having zero carbs in your birthday cake, there are no after effects from beer or wine on your birthday. Have a great day! :thumbup:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Happy Birthday to Ladybird and Borofergie

ba2c7c2d.gif

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Happy birthday Ladybird, I wish you good health for the future and low bg levels :D :thumbup:

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A very happy birthday to both of you.

Hope you both have had a really good day so far-you deserve it.

Wishing you all the best

Marina
x

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Awww thanks for all the good wishes, it means a lot! I really am going to try to do my very best to watch the diet because I feel pretty rough if I don't..only sabotaging myself aren't I?

A belated Happy Birthday to you Stephen, I hope the run went well and I admire your bravery for running in this weather.! I don't know about it being traumatic for you..I think forty is the new thirty nowadays so you're just a young 'un as I am myself.

And if I keep telling myself that, I may start to believe it.. :wink:

No birthday cake as I was at my mums and she is still very poorly but I did indulge in a small slcie of Madiera cake and a spoonful of ice-cream and it was gorgeous.

Today we are having roast pork, numerous veggies and celeriac mash for me..yum.

Thanks again and a good day to all :D

alliebee

Belated Wishes on your birthdays Hope ladybird and borofergie both of you had a great day
And lots of wine and birthday cake xxxxxxxx :D

andybob

Dear Ladybird64
Happy Birthday what a great example you are to us all. I just wish your long blurb had been longer - I would love to have read more! What an amazing lot of things you achieved in 2011.
I wish you all the best for 2012 just remember there are lots of people on here who know an awful lot about your new challenge - and they are always happy to give a supporting word.
I hope you're very proud of yourself as you have every right to be.
Please keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Best Wishes
Andy