Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Hi all.

I haven't been on here for some time but have been very unwell.

I had a long appt with the Head DN at my surgery yesterday face to face.

We had a long talk about how poorly I feel and the high numbers I have despite following a low carb plan.

She is very happy with my B.P and Cholesterol, my Kidneys are in good nick and I take meds for them as they had started to show a bit of leakage but have recovered.

Anyway, I haven't seen a HBA1C under 12% for 2 years despite all my best efforts and we have fiddled and changed my meds numerous times. I am very sensitive to many and had to stop them, prob as they clash with my other meds. I have Metabolism/Digestion issues as well as IBS so she doesn't want to push the weekly/daily injection meds on me.

I am on a lot of meds for various probs, my Thyroid med doses are having to change very regularly as the levels are unstable (lowest i've been on is 75mcg, highest 200mcg and at the moment I alternate days on 150mcg and 125mcg!) and she thinks I may benefit from Insulin, even at a low dose.

However, she said she and the G.P usually refer to the Diabetic/Endocrine clinic as they may want to carry out tests, or if not....they will advise her/my GP about suitable Insulin as a trial.

They hold a clinic at my surgery twice a month so can see me there if I don't actually need Consultant led support. I would see them there and they would guide me/show me how to inject etc and from there she would support me with adjustments etc.

Does that sound about right to you folks? Obviously I can't carry on like this in the long term. I have horrendous fatigue and Brain Fog but also have Fibromyalgia so it is hard to know what's what. I have also had several nasty absecces.

Just wondering what to expect really. I said I was concerned about weight gain but she said if I am careful with carbs that doesn't have to happen.

Tbh if Insulin would get my numbers in the right territory and i'd feel a bit better i'm happy to try it. At the moment I struggle to get under 15 at any time of the day and my waking is mostly about 14.

Thanks for any help.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

We had a long talk about how poorly I feel and the high numbers I have despite following a low carb plan.

She is very happy with my B.P and Cholesterol, my Kidneys are in good nick and I take meds for them as they had started to show a bit of leakage but have recovered.

Anyway, I haven't seen a HBA1C under 12% for 2 years despite all my best efforts and we have fiddled and changed my meds numerous times. I am very sensitive to many and had to stop them, prob as they clash with my other meds. I have Metabolism/Digestion issues as well as IBS so she doesn't want to push the weekly/daily injection meds on me.

I am on a lot of meds for various probs, my Thyroid med doses are having to change very regularly as the levels are unstable (lowest i've been on is 75mcg, highest 200mcg and at the moment I alternate days on 150mcg and 125mcg!) and she thinks I may benefit from Insulin, even at a low dose.

However, she said she and the G.P usually refer to the Diabetic/Endocrine clinic as they may want to carry out tests, or if not....they will advise her/my GP about suitable Insulin as a trial.

They hold a clinic at my surgery twice a month so can see me there if I don't actually need Consultant led support. I would see them there and they would guide me/show me how to inject etc and from there she would support me with adjustments etc.

Does that sound about right to you folks? Obviously I can't carry on like this in the long term. I have horrendous fatigue and Brain Fog but also have Fibromyalgia so it is hard to know what's what. I have also had several nasty absecces.

Just wondering what to expect really. I said I was concerned about weight gain but she said if I am careful with carbs that doesn't have to happen.

Tbh if Insulin would get my numbers in the right territory and i'd feel a bit better i'm happy to try it. At the moment I struggle to get under 15 at any time of the day and my waking is mostly about 14.

Thanks for any help.
Offering vibes and support. Have you been tested for type 1? If not, that would be a good idea for them to test for it.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Thanks for any help.
There's so much going on, any of that, or medication for it, can be pushing your blood sugars up. But still... If low carb isn't cutting it, I'd err on the side of caution and indeed get C-peptide and GAD tests done to check whether you weren't misdiagnosed. You wouldn't be the first.

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
oh no, sending virtual hugs, you are going through a lot at the moment. Medical conditions, med, pain, stress can push up glucose level, weight gain can be a condition of above.
Low carbing not cutting the mustard, eliminating, bread, pasta, rice. potatoes, tropical fruits, grains, porridge and so on.
as above as suggested, ask to be tested, gad, c-peptide

Reactions: DEBBIESCOTT

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
Offering vibes and support. Have you been tested for type 1? If not, that would be a good idea for them to test for it.
Hi there. Thanks.
The DN said the clinic would test the GAD and C Peptide. I am chubby and was firmly diagnosed at T2 14 years ago although my GP said i'd probably been Diabetic before that.
Interestingly I weighed myself today and I have lost half a stone in 3 weeks without changing my eating at all.
Thanks for your support.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
There's so much going on, any of that, or medication for it, can be pushing your blood sugars up. But still... If low carb isn't cutting it, I'd err on the side of caution and indeed get C-peptide and GAD tests done to check whether you weren't misdiagnosed. You wouldn't be the first.
Hi, thanks. The DN said the clinic would check that all out. I feel more positive as i've been so depressed about it all and am hoping things will be clearer so I can move on. Thanks for your reply.

Geminigirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicy food
oh no, sending virtual hugs, you are going through a lot at the moment. Medical conditions, med, pain, stress can push up glucose level, weight gain can be a condition of above.
Low carbing not cutting the mustard, eliminating, bread, pasta, rice. potatoes, tropical fruits, grains, porridge and so on.
as above as suggested, ask to be tested, gad, c-peptide
Thanks, The DN said the clinic will investigate further. I am relieved they have taken me seriously as I feel things have been drifting especially throuh Covid. I am feeling more positive now. I did tell her i've lost half a stone in 3 weeks without trying! I am chubby so can afford to but I normally find losing weight very hard.
Thanks for everyones support. I really appreciate it.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was in the same position, very frustrating when you are doing “all the right things” and nothing is working, I found for a long time that LCHF worked a treat and I was “cured” but slowly and progressively nothing worked, did you ever have success with LC? You may be following my path, for me insulin was, in a word, a relief, there are huge downsides to it (hypos are the worst) but to see good numbers after so long was wonderful, Have the tests but at the end of the day, you can’t carry on like this so type one, two or whatever, if insulin is what you need, then so be it, as a type 2 I fought against the idea for ages as type twos by definition seem to already produce too much so it makes little sense to take insulin but, if nothing else is working…

Best of luck!