Silly Me

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that I have calmed down from festerin' furious to mildly miffed, I'd like to share my meeting with DN yesterday. Thank you all for your wisdom and support that has helped me deal with my diagnosis and lifestyle so far. Background is I was diagnosed type2 while in hospital in September, and once I was home and could control my food, went keto, lost an appreciable amount of weight (went down 3 clothes sizes and am halfway to four) and fasting BG has been in the non-diabetic range since early October. So I thought Nursie would be supportive. What a fool I was.

My HbA1c test last month included the debacle that was September-in-hospital and immediately after, so was not typical, and therefore, in my logical opinion, would have raised the average of the total readings and should be allowed for. But apparently my 3 months of fingerprick tests don't signify: only the Hb1Ac does. In fact, the blood taken out of my arm is quite different from the blood tested in my finger a bit further down the same limb (she really did say this!). The fasting BG is the lowest I will get all day! (never heard of Dawn Phenomenon, then) but actually it is in my case because I wait for DP to disperse before testing. When I asked if the metformin dose could be reduced under her supervision and guidance (I'm such a creep), I was told NO! It could NEVER be reduced. In fact I could need a higher dose of metformin at any time, and if I tried to reduce the dose, my BG would soar. Which I know from information here isn't how it works, is it?

No interest was taken in what I was eating or anything.else I was doing. No comment was made about my reduced size.

What a demoralising event.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Forget about her and take it from us: What amazing progress you have made, very well done!
Especially with your hospitalisation halfway through, it really is something to be proud of. Not only have you reduced your BG to almost non-diabetic levels, but you've also managed to lose a lot of weight, and all this through your own determination!
Please celebrate this impressive feat!

Reactions: MommaE and ziggy_w

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Congratulations on your incredible progress to date.
Some people cannot cope with anything that is outside the parameters of their very limited understanding despite evidence to the contrary. Unfortunately your DN is one of them!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told NO! It could NEVER be reduced. In fact I could need a higher dose of metformin at any time, and if I tried to reduce the dose, my BG would soar.
There is a simple way to find out the truth. Metformin has a very limited effect by all accounts, it will be your diet and weight loss that has made the difference.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that I have calmed down from festerin' furious to mildly miffed, I'd like to share my meeting with DN yesterday. Thank you all for your wisdom and support that has helped me deal with my diagnosis and lifestyle so far. Background is I was diagnosed type2 while in hospital in September, and once I was home and could control my food, went keto, lost an appreciable amount of weight (went down 3 clothes sizes and am halfway to four) and fasting BG has been in the non-diabetic range since early October. So I thought Nursie would be supportive. What a fool I was.

My HbA1c test last month included the debacle that was September-in-hospital and immediately after, so was not typical, and therefore, in my logical opinion, would have raised the average of the total readings and should be allowed for. But apparently my 3 months of fingerprick tests don't signify: only the Hb1Ac does. In fact, the blood taken out of my arm is quite different from the blood tested in my finger a bit further down the same limb (she really did say this!). The fasting BG is the lowest I will get all day! (never heard of Dawn Phenomenon, then) but actually it is in my case because I wait for DP to disperse before testing. When I asked if the metformin dose could be reduced under her supervision and guidance (I'm such a creep), I was told NO! It could NEVER be reduced. In fact I could need a higher dose of metformin at any time, and if I tried to reduce the dose, my BG would soar. Which I know from information here isn't how it works, is it?

No interest was taken in what I was eating or anything.else I was doing. No comment was made about my reduced size.

sadly this is so familiar. I have given up, after a decade of diet control, expecting anything supportive or positive from my DN. She has a script to follow and is closed to all else. She does not have the power to make me take pills, I make my own choices.

Huge WELL DONE to you for all you have achieved.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
DNs are best seen not heard. take no notice you done well if you take metformin or not is up to you.
I’ve had a really good nurse who was all for the low carb and the dropping to diet only from where I was, was celebrated

but it’s a real shame when they are like the OPs and don’t use the clear evidence to change their ways. Hopefully bit by bit as we show what is possible there might be some change

@Outlier well done and try not to let it get you down, you have done this for you, not the DN and you should feel happy for yourself. Bit it is disheartening, I get it.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"I’ve had a really good nurse who was all for the low carb and the dropping to diet only from where I was, was celebrated"

There is always the exception to the rule. :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I want to give both a winner's medal and hug.
Different blood in the same arm! She should be struck off if she doesn't know its the tests that are different. Also sound like she does not know type 2 from type 1.
And think she's related to my DN, maybe they are cloning them now :arghh:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On a technicality, the DN is actually correct. The finger prick test analyses interstitial fluid which is fed from the arterial system, and the blood draw for the lab tests is venal blood. So the finger test measures mainly fresher blood than the lab tests in terms of oxygenation, However, the bgl meters are calibrated to represent plasma (venal) blood levels, so should align with the lab tests.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting, Oldvatr, thank you. Shame DN couldn't be bothered to tell me that. Maybe she thought the little old woman wouldn't understand.

Thank you all very much indeed for your support. It's been a tough couple of days, but I will not let it get me down long-term.

Oh yes - I have halved the metformin dose, will see where that leads and if all is good over a suitable timescale, the other pill is going as well.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's interesting, Oldvatr, thank you. Shame DN couldn't be bothered to tell me that. Maybe she thought the little old woman wouldn't understand.

Thank you all very much indeed for your support. It's been a tough couple of days, but I will not let it get me down long-term.

Oh yes - I have halved the metformin dose, will see where that leads and if all is good over a suitable timescale, the other pill is going as well.
Metfartin actually has only a very small effect on sugar levels. It is prescribed mainly because it has protective benefits for other parts of the body such as the heart and blood supply. It is prescribed for T1D too. If you can tolerate it gastrically, then keeping that one pill going will sit well with the GP. However, Met is not suitable for those with reduced kidney function.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

The problem isn't you, it's the DN. Well done on your achievement and keep up the good work.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I figured that continuing to use the metformin on paper even if not in actuality would be a sop to the medics and keep them on-side, whatever I actually put down my throat.

FWIW, when I was diagnosed in hospital, I was not told. I was put straight on insulin and again not told, though it was easy enough to work out what was going on. GP and Nursie wanted me to continue on insulin and I insisted on trying metformin first (I have a T2 brother, so I know the score). There was a lot of pressure and challenge, and I was told the metformin "wouldn't touch those BG levels". This would be the same metformin that I now mustn't reduce/stop taking.

It's a good job I have a sense of humour, even if it vanished briefly. And again, I can't thank you all enough for your collective help and support.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had similar experience recently. My DN told me to restart my metformin ( was taking one tablet a day but stopped taking it after I recently had a baby and kept forgetting it) even tho my recent hba1c was only 34 and I test multiple times a day and always in normal range. She said if I didn't then my blood sugars would be high again ( had hba1c of 76 at diagnosis and nothing in diabetic range since then). Makes me feel very frustrated and sad that they can't see that dietary changes can be very effective and she was implying that one metformin a day for the reason for the reduction in blood sugar levels. I don't see the point in having these conversations with them now.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations for taking control and lowering your levels- one day (I hope) enough of us will be around to change the medical professions views on possible approaches to type 2 diabetes. That will not thrill pharmaceutical companies. I do believe that eventually they will see sense. Just keep on doing what works for you!

Congratulations!

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done on reducing you blood glucose levels :)

I was put straight on insulin and again not told, though it was easy enough to work out what was going on. GP and Nursie wanted me to continue on insulin and I insisted on trying metformin first (I have a T2 brother, so I know the score)..

might be worth double checking your medical records to see if they did antibodies testing at the time and what the results were ...