I'm determined to get my diabetes back on track

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they change your insulin dose in November? Were you given any advice back then? What was your FBG this morning?

I got told to drop down my Novorapid from 40 units (3 times a day) to 36 units (3 times a day) and to up my Tresiba from 70 units to 89 units. They know about my high blood sugars and they advised that if it goes over and stays above 20, then I should call the doctors.

My blood sugar this morning was 16.3.

T2 Woman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I wanted to say that I think I'm doing okay. It might not be a great start, but this is what I've had so far today.

Morning Breakfast: 2 Weetabix and Semi-Skimmed Milk.

Morning snack: A Croissant

Lunch: Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bowl with a packet of Chicken Chipotle Bites.

I've noticed that Morrisons do a low carb pasta online and I might give that a go.
Hi there,
I’m new here after being diagnosed just before Christmas. Congratulations on being more determined to get your diabetes under control. What I quickly learned from everyone who has successfully managed to control their blood sugars on here is that it’s really important to eat low carb. Looking at what you’re currently eating I’d say weetabix, croissants, pasta and chippy teas are some of the foods that should be out of your diet for now until you get this under control, or at least vastly cut down. I too am finding it hard not to have too many carbs but I’m determined. I hope to get everything under control and then maybe have an occasional small carb treat if it doesn’t spike my bloods too much. Get yourself another meter and go for it. I’ve found there are still a lot of foods I do like, like meat, cheese and eggs. There are loads of helpful and supportive people on here who will help you with advice and motivation. Good luck to you and I hope you can do it this time!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got told to drop down my Novorapid from 40 units (3 times a day) to 36 units (3 times a day) and to up my Tresiba from 70 units to 89 units. They know about my high blood sugars and they advised that if it goes over and stays above 20, then I should call the doctors.

My blood sugar this morning was 16.3.
I am confused now. So you are on 2 different insulins after all, a longer acting one and a fast acting one? Have you been taught how to carb count to match your Novorapid doses with the carbs you have at each meal? I don't understand why you have been given a fixed dose for mealtimes? I seem to remember that you have been on insulin for a few years now?

I have merely asked questions as I confess I know nothing about insulin myself as I don't use it (yet), so I'll bow out now as I wouldn't want to give you harmful advice.

Hopefully some insulin users will provide some more useful advice soon.

I really hope you can get on track with your T2 soon, I wish you well.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am confused now. So you are on 2 different insulins after all, a longer acting one and a fast acting one? Have you been taught how to carb count to match your Novorapid doses with the carbs you have at each meal? I don't understand why you have been given a fixed dose for mealtimes? I seem to remember that you have been on insulin for a few years now?

I have merely asked questions as I confess I know nothing about insulin myself as I don't use it (yet), so I'll bow out now as I wouldn't want to give you harmful advice.

Hopefully some insulin users will provide some more useful advice soon.

I really hope you can get on track with your T2 soon, I wish you well.

I've always only been on a fixed dose of insulin and I haven't been taught how to count carbs for my meals. The diabetes nurse that I normally talk hasn't mentioned carb counting, just that if it goes a bit high to take a couple more units of my Novorapid.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I’m new here after being diagnosed just before Christmas. Congratulations on being more determined to get your diabetes under control. What I quickly learned from everyone who has successfully managed to control their blood sugars on here is that it’s really important to eat low carb. Looking at what you’re currently eating I’d say weetabix, croissants, pasta and chippy teas are some of the foods that should be out of your diet for now until you get this under control, or at least vastly cut down. I too am finding it hard not to have too many carbs but I’m determined. I hope to get everything under control and then maybe have an occasional small carb treat if it doesn’t spike my bloods too much. Get yourself another meter and go for it. I’ve found there are still a lot of foods I do like, like meat, cheese and eggs. There are loads of helpful and supportive people on here who will help you with advice and motivation. Good luck to you and I hope you can do it this time!
While you are correct when it comes to run-of-the-mill T2's on diet or metformin, and I'm delighted to see your enthousiasm, it's important to consider someones treatment when replying.
In this case, @akindrat18 is on insulin, which means that if he would do what you advise he can get dangerously low!

Cutting carbs on insulin is very well possible, but not until you know how to adjust your insulin doses.
You might have noticed newbies are often asked what medication they are on before we tell them cutting the carbs might be a great help. The medication you want to keep in mind apart from insulin is mainly gliclazide, which can cause hypo's as well.

I think this is the reason he's had little advise on here, we're all very careful to not say something which may be dangerous
Are you under GP treatment or seeing an endocrinologist?
If GP, I have a feeling they might be a bit out of their depth with you, and seeing you're basically following a typical T1 treatment, with basal and bolus insulins, seeing if you can get a referral to someone dealing with this on a daily base wouldn't be a bad idea.

In the mean time, @T2 Woman does have a point. With your numbers this high, you could have a look what happens if you ate a bit less carbs. So for instance have 1 weetabix and a couple of eggs in the morning instead of having 2 or 3 weetabix.
Keep your meter on you though, and something to eat in case you go low!

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I just tested my morning fasting blood sugar which is quite alarming at 26.8 and don't quite get as for my lunch yesterday I just had a few slices of cheese and for tea just 3 rashers of bacon and 4 sausages.

I haven't had my breakfast yet and due to start work at half 9. Would a Oykos yoghurt be okay? I also feel fine in myself, just a bit hungry.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
16.3 grams. Is that alright.
It's a lot more than full fat natural yoghurt would have, but also a whole lot less then your usual lunch had.
So i can't really say if it's alright for you, but considering you're injecting the same amount of insulin for it as you would for your very carby lunch, I think it's not a bad choice.

I think the main thing is that your BG's are dangerously high all the time, and you need help learning how to adjust your doses to your food, so you can make an educated guess on how much insulin you'd need for how many carbs.
As it is, you're shooting in the dark.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a lot more than full fat natural yoghurt would have, but also a whole lot less then your usual lunch had.
So i can't really say if it's alright for you, but considering you're injecting the same amount of insulin for it as you would for your very carby lunch, I think it's not a bad choice.

I think the main thing is that your BG's are dangerously high all the time, and you need help learning how to adjust your doses to your food, so you can make an educated guess on how much insulin you'd need for how many carbs.
As it is, you're shooting in the dark.

Well I've just missed a phone call at 2:20pm from the diabetes nurse about my increase in dosage of Victoza. Will have to call back and leave them a message tomorrow morning.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Your BGs are still above 20. Call 111.

I have done and now I'm being sent home from work early. I've been advised to take a ketone test (which has come back normal) and to take 10 extra units of Novorapid.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Update on blood sugars, its gone down to 20.4. About to have Spag Bol with Garlic Bread and Mozzarella. I know that it is mostly carbs and my blood sugar is high, but I need something to eat.

I told 111 and they are okay with me upping my Novorapid to 48 units just this once and are happy with my ketone test result.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So just how determined are you to get your T2 back on track?

I get that you need something to eat, but you don't need a high carb meal when your BGs are this high. And the carbs will make you feel hungrier later on, it's a vicious circle. If you are still on Victoza that should be helping you by lessening your appetite a little? We have seen this pattern before with you over the years and I don't see any change in attitude at all. There's always a reason why you can't do what you should do, be it your love of carbs (yep me too), your Mum encouraging you to eat badly, work, being let down by your surgery etc etc

The thing is when the **** hits the fan, it's you who will suffer, not your medical team, not your Mum, not me...you. I remember telling you years ago that it would be far easier for you to take control back then whilst you didn't need insulin, but hey, you drifted away, and here we are now. It's more complicated now with insulin and insulin resistance both in the mix, but it's still do-able. Just think how complicated it would be if your lost your eyesight or a toe or two. Saying you are determined is just not enough. You have to BE determined, and frankly I just don't see it. If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got.

Only you can do this. Only you will suffer if you don't.

So, you decide. Just what do you love most? Garlic bread and spaghetti or your toes and eyes?

I've said it before, but I really think you need counselling to help you stop pressing the self destruct button. That's what I needed, and things still aren't always easy for me. I don't always make the right choices myself, but having typed this reply to you do you think I will be having chips when my hubby has chips tomorrow? No, I won't. I love my toes.

Reactions: ziggy_w

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So just how determined are you to get your T2 back on track?

I get that you need something to eat, but you don't need a high carb meal when your BGs are this high. And the carbs will make you feel hungrier later on, it's a vicious circle. If you are still on Victoza that should be helping you by lessening your appetite a little? We have seen this pattern before with you over the years and I don't see any change in attitude at all. There's always a reason why you can't do what you should do, be it your love of carbs (yep me too), your Mum encouraging you to eat badly, work, being let down by your surgery etc etc

The thing is when the **** hits the fan, it's you who will suffer, not your medical team, not your Mum, not me...you. I remember telling you years ago that it would be far easier for you to take control back then whilst you didn't need insulin, but hey, you drifted away, and here we are now. It's more complicated now with insulin and insulin resistance both in the mix, but it's still do-able. Just think how complicated it would be if your lost your eyesight or a toe or two. Saying you are determined is just not enough. You have to BE determined, and frankly I just don't see it. If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got.

Only you can do this. Only you will suffer if you don't.

So, you decide. Just what do you love most? Garlic bread and spaghetti or your toes and eyes?

I've said it before, but I really think you need counselling to help you stop pressing the self destruct button. That's what I needed, and things still aren't always easy for me. I don't always make the right choices myself, but having typed this reply to you do you think I will be having chips when my hubby has chips tomorrow? No, I won't. I love my toes.

I've done better than before. I would normally eat more biscuits and cakes during my breaks at work and at home. Plus I have tried counselling and it has helped, I'm staying away from all things sweet.

Like the other night, when my parents had a chippy, later that night they decided to do some pancakes and syrup. I had to remove myself from the house as I knew that if they asked me, I would say yes.

So I am trying my best, I've lost 8 pounds since the New Year.

Last edited:
Reactions: T2 Woman and EllieM