I'm determined to get my diabetes back on track

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Long time member of this site, but I haven't been on here in ages and I feel like getting my life back on track and that includes my diabetes, which I haven't kept on top of for the past 2-3 years.

But now I'm back and more determined than ever to get my life better again with some help from you guys. I have left that god forsaken chicken shop KFC for a nicer job and more money.

I will just be honest now. My diet has suffered, I haven't tested my blood sugar in forever as my monitor broke, I don't take my medication regularly and my doctors don't care or the diabetes team for that fact. However, I want to change that now and start to get back to normal if I can.

My diet needs work as I always have 2 or 3 weetabix in the morning and then either some bagels or a pie for lunch when at work. My dinner varies a lot as I like to enjoy different foods.

I want to try and eat more cheese and meat as they are two things that I can eat constantly.

Any help or advice will be appreciated

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Great to see you back and ready to climb back on the wagon!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome back @akindrat18 .
Good that you are taking back control, and have a better job. I remember your last job at KFC was really getting you down. You know, currently , it is likely that health care professionals are not going to have much time to assist or support. If it looks as if they don’t care perhaps they see you as a time waster if you are not taking meds, and haven’t made the effort to help yourself. They are under enormous pressure due to the pandemic after all. It is time to look out for yourself. You already know that Weetabix and pies are not good for you. Also that using a meter is one of the best ways to monitor your diabetes. So buy one, use it regularly and record what you have eaten , and how it affects your BG levels.
If you like meat and cheese, have a look at the keto sections of forum. Get some ideas from www.dietdoctor.com

You have been around here for many years , now, and have stalled and disappeared more times than I can remember. Are you going to do the same this time? Or is this the time you finally take some responsibility, and turn things around? I hope it is the latter!
Good luck.

Reactions: Joona and T2 Woman

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back!

My suggestion is that you look at getting another meter as soon as possible. I find that regular testing helps keep me on track. I still test at least three times a day but often more- it helps me a lot with motivation. I find low carb challenging so low results are my reward. However, find out what works for you- we are all different.

Good luck.

Reactions: jjraak

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good to see you back @akindrat18 and I hope the new job goes well.
If you can take control of the carb intake it makes such a difference. I have been plodding on with the Atkins type low carb diet for over 5 years now, and seem to be seeing the benefits all the time now.
I caught Covid again, and I am fairly sure it was the Omicron one as I had all the right symptoms for it, but it was so mild that I would have gone into work if I was still working and not 70 years old. Being retired I did spend a couple of mornings in bed, but as I didn't actually need to get up or go out anywhere and it was cold and dark...

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Long time member of this site, but I haven't been on here in ages and I feel like getting my life back on track and that includes my diabetes, which I haven't kept on top of for the past 2-3 years.

But now I'm back and more determined than ever to get my life better again with some help from you guys. I have left that god forsaken chicken shop KFC for a nicer job and more money.

I will just be honest now. My diet has suffered, I haven't tested my blood sugar in forever as my monitor broke, I don't take my medication regularly and my doctors don't care or the diabetes team for that fact. However, I want to change that now and start to get back to normal if I can.

My diet needs work as I always have 2 or 3 weetabix in the morning and then either some bagels or a pie for lunch when at work. My dinner varies a lot as I like to enjoy different foods.

I want to try and eat more cheese and meat as they are two things that I can eat constantly.

Any help or advice will be appreciated
Welcome back. I think you know already what you need to do. A new monitor will be essential. You're right as well about meat and cheese - my advice is to buy a range of tasty things. It's good as well to have something you can prepare quickly. Both Aldi and Lidl sell Italian good quality meat antipasti selections which are fairly inexpensive and have loads of flavour, as well as high meat content bratwurst and Polish sausage. In my opinion it's also worth paying a bit more for good cheese - supermarkets tend to stock a lot of bland cheddar which can get boring quickly.

Best of luck.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Well done for having another crack at getting back in control of things!
Low carb is definitely the way to go if you want low bg levels without hunger, but don't eat meat and cheese AND carbs. That mixture will risk causing you weight gain. Pastry in pies and flour in bagels will need to be swapped out I'm afraid, and then you can eat cheese wrapped in slices of cold meat instead!

Reactions: T2 Woman

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I wanted to say that I think I'm doing okay. It might not be a great start, but this is what I've had so far today.

Morning Breakfast: 2 Weetabix and Semi-Skimmed Milk.

Morning snack: A Croissant

Lunch: Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bowl with a packet of Chicken Chipotle Bites.

I've noticed that Morrisons do a low carb pasta online and I might give that a go.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I wanted to say that I think I'm doing okay. It might not be a great start, but this is what I've had so far today.

Morning Breakfast: 2 Weetabix and Semi-Skimmed Milk.

Morning snack: A Croissant

Lunch: Chicken & Bacon Pasta Bowl with a packet of Chicken Chipotle Bites.

I've noticed that Morrisons do a low carb pasta online and I might give that a go.

Since you are on insulin, carb intake is just one side of the equation. How are your BGs? Are you managing to match your insulin doses with your carb intake?

Whilst low carb isn't strictly necessary for folks on insulin, it's desirable to keep them at a lowish level for 2 reasons.

Firstly, if you need to lose weight it's easier to do so if you low carb as carbs can make you feel more hungry. Carbs aren't essential for good health, whilst protein and fats are.

Secondly, the fewer carbs you have, the less likely you are to make an error with insulin doses. With fewer carbs there's less margin for error, and therefore it's easier to regulate your BGs and stay within range.

Reactions: Antje77

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @akindrat18 . Good that you are seeming more positive.
Can you tell us what your main goals are? Is it better diabetic control? Weightloss? Anything else?
I know you have struggled for a long time, and it could be helpful if you could look at small steps to lead to you achieving your aims, rather than becoming overwhelmed by the chalkenges and setting yourself up for failure.

Reactions: T2 Woman and zand

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Since you are on insulin, carb intake is just one side of the equation. How are your BGs? Are you managing to match your insulin doses with your carb intake?

Whilst low carb isn't strictly necessary for folks on insulin, it's desirable to keep them at a lowish level for 2 reasons.

Firstly, if you need to lose weight it's easier to do so if you low carb as carbs can make you feel more hungry. Carbs aren't essential for good health, whilst protein and fats are.

Secondly, the fewer carbs you have, the less likely you are to make an error with insulin doses. With fewer carbs there's less margin for error, and therefore it's easier to regulate your BGs and stay within range.

My blood sugars are all over the place. They are high (18+) when I wake up and then get extremely low (4.5) from 11am. From 2pm, they start to be stable between 12 and 14.

I take a set amount of insulin every time and even then its still not enough some times. I'm also on Victoza and starting going the gym now every other day.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My morning blood sugar today is at 20.4. Going go the gym, get to work and have some breakfast which is again Weetabix.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sorry, I was under the impression that you were on a basal/bolus regimen.

You really need to speak to your DN or doctor about these high BGs. My advice is to make an appointment asap. Whilst waiting for the appointment day to come round keep a record of what you are eating and your fasting BGs and your before meals and 2 hours after meals reading.

Last edited:

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am sorry, I was under the impression that you were on a basal/bolus regime.

You really need to speak to your DN or doctor about these high BGs. My advice is to make an appointment asap. Whilst waiting for the appointment day to come round keep a record of what you are eating and your fasting BGs and your before meals and 2 hours after meals reading.

It's okay. I've been asking for an appointment to no avail. My blood sugar after the gym, went down to 17.4 after I had a babybel cheese. Didn't take my insulin until I had my breakfast (Weetabix) at 11:30am, then lunch (chicken pasta salad) at 1:30pm. Now I've just had a chippy, which my mum wanted and I agreed.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's okay. I've been asking for an appointment to no avail. My blood sugar after the gym, went down to 17.4 after I had a babybel cheese. Didn't take my insulin until I had my breakfast (Weetabix) at 11:30am, then lunch (chicken pasta salad) at 1:30pm. Now I've just had a chippy, which my mum wanted and I agreed.

You need to push and push for an appointment. Your BGs are too high and something needs to be done to help you get them into line.

If you write down your daily FBGs and your before eating and 2 hours after figures then your team will be more able to help you. They will also see that you are trying to help yourself.

Edit: I know how soul destroying it can be when you can't get past the receptionist, but I don't feel you can do this without the help of your diabetic team. When you have answers from them we will be more able to help you here.

Last edited:

mouseee

I use the app my drs have. You can get past the receptionist and a health care professional effectively triages you. They make the appointment for you if needed or at least will ring you for a phone appt.
Hope you have something like that.

Reactions: wendy22

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just tried to get an appointment, but I've been told that because I've been seen in November, that I've got wait another 4 months for an appointment to see the diabetes nurse.

Reactions: wendy22

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just tried to get an appointment, but I've been told that because I've been seen in November, that I've got wait another 4 months for an appointment to see the diabetes nurse.
Did you tell them of your high blood glucose readings?
If your GP won’t see you perhaps you need to try NHS 111. Oh and a complaint to your practice manager, and CCG.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they change your insulin dose in November? Were you given any advice back then? What was your FBG this morning?