Opt for Diabetic Choices on Tesco groceries?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just logged into my Tesco account to look for something and found this page! Dread to think what choices Tesco would deem suitable for diabetics?! :wideyed: I daren’t check the box!

EA29CCAF-CAAF-43D0-9641-7155C7603E90.jpg

Reactions: zand

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tick them all and see what happens!!

Just cauliflower, perhaps?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is a cut & paste straight off their website....Incoming.......
HFLzcLlvCvloIgOB.jpg

CHECK SERVICE AVAILABILITY IN YOUR AREA:
******There are no foods that diabetics cannot eat; however, it is essential to reduce the amount of certain foods and to increase others. The dietary guidelines for people with diabetes are very similar to those recommended for everyone else - eating less sugar and fat, more fibre-rich, starchy foods, and more fruit and vegetables, with moderate amounts of meat and fish, as well as milk and dairy foods. There is no need to buy special diabetic foods - ordinary everyday foods in the right balance are the key to diabetic control. Choosing the right foods, however, can make a big difference. Eating regularly helps to ensure your blood sugar does not swing from one extreme to the other. People with diabetes need to base each meal on a starchy carbohydrate food for energy and to help maintain control over their blood-glucose level. It is a good idea to try to eat about the same amount of starchy foods each day, with plenty of vegetables, salad or fruit, and a smaller portion of meat or dairy foods. Starchy foods to try include: cereal, toast, rolls, bread, noodles, rice, pasta and potatoes, picking wholemeal versions where possible, since they are higher in fibre******

I GIVE UP!!!!! It went on but I couldn't do it to you all. I note they are also working in partnership with that 'other' diabetes site who shall not be named....

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HFLzcLlvCvloIgOB.jpg

******There are no foods that diabetics cannot eat; however, it is essential to reduce the amount of certain foods and to increase others. The dietary guidelines for people with diabetes are very similar to those recommended for everyone else - eating less sugar and fat, more fibre-rich, starchy foods, and more fruit and vegetables, with moderate amounts of meat and fish, as well as milk and dairy foods. There is no need to buy special diabetic foods - ordinary everyday foods in the right balance are the key to diabetic control. Choosing the right foods, however, can make a big difference. Eating regularly helps to ensure your blood sugar does not swing from one extreme to the other. People with diabetes need to base each meal on a starchy carbohydrate food for energy and to help maintain control over their blood-glucose level. It is a good idea to try to eat about the same amount of starchy foods each day, with plenty of vegetables, salad or fruit, and a smaller portion of meat or dairy foods. Starchy foods to try include: cereal, toast, rolls, bread, noodles, rice, pasta and potatoes, picking wholemeal versions where possible, since they are higher in fibre******

I GIVE UP!!!!! It went on but I couldn't do it to you all. I note they are also working in partnership with that 'other' diabetes site who shall not be named....

Quelle surprise!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh dear me, that Tesco dietary info is pretty much the same as that trotted out in the NHS/NICE 'Eat Badly Plate' and the same as that was (maybe still is) advocated by that 'Other Diabetes Site'.
A few years ago there was a stall inside the entrance to out local Tesco selling prize draw tickets in aid of 'That other organisation' and the prizes were near all sugary/carby foods and treats.

Reactions: KK123

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Starchy foods to try

I think they've actually gone a step further, 'starchy foods to try' as if this was something you should actually start if you weren't doing it before in the expectation it might help!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diabetic friendly food? Which type of diabetes?
The most diabetic friendly food I eat is fast acting carb to treat a hypo.
I would want to see jelly babies, dextrose, coke, etc.

Why does a “diabetic” dietary need have to be for type 2?

Hotpepper20000

HFLzcLlvCvloIgOB.jpg

OH you have to be kidding me.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Exactly, as diabetics of any type we shouldn’t need a supermarket website to advise us. I just chose to post in the type 2 forum as I am type 2.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The trouble is, what are you to do? Go around the world convincing every dunce you meet this is fake info? I feel like that at the gps, that it’s somehow been left to me to disabuse them of this **** one at a time. Of course I don’t do it. I am probably considered silent, sullen and difficult if anyone considers me at all!

Helendogs

Yes I agree
Apart from my large order for vegetables, etc, I always order Coca Cola, original Lucozade (mixed with coke it works quicker), Jelly babies and jam ring biscuits!

Reactions: In Response

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
The trouble is, what are you to do? Go around the world convincing every dunce you meet this is fake info? I feel like that at the gps, that it’s somehow been left to me to disabuse them of this **** one at a time. Of course I don’t do it. I am probably considered silent, sullen and difficult if anyone considers me at all!
I agree completely. Swimming against the tide is very tiring. I say very little at the GPs but have occasionally said to other Type 2 diabetics 'And how is that advice working out for you?'