Fathead Pizza Dough

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
It's my Son's birthday today and the family are coming over for Dominos pizza, so I thought instead of missing out I'm going to try fathead pizza. My question is I have coconut flour and ground almonds...which is better? Bearing in mind I'm not overly keen on almonds (apart from in Bakewell tart). I'm planning on adding a pizza sauce and pepperoni with more cheese...thank you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ground Almonds for sure.. if you like a crispier base then miss out the egg.. Don't burn it though it's quite easy to do.
Cook t ne side then flip before adding the toppings and enjoy.

Reactions: Flora123 and AngiH

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
let us know how it turns out.... esp me, have been meaning to try this

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
It's my Son's birthday today and the family are coming over for Dominos pizza, so I thought instead of missing out I'm going to try fathead pizza. My question is I have coconut flour and ground almonds...which is better? Bearing in mind I'm not overly keen on almonds (apart from in Bakewell tart). I'm planning on adding a pizza sauce and pepperoni with more cheese...thank you
Never made it, just wanted to say I hope it'll be one very happy birthday for your son, and a fantastic meal for you. ;)

Reactions: AngiH

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have made it, be warned it is very filling! Pull off what you need, put the rest in a plastic bag and put in the fridge. It also makes great garlic bread, I used lurpak garlic butter as I am too lazy to make it from scratch

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
You do not either have a 17 year old! You would have been ten when you had him!!!
Happy birthday him, and I am hoping to try the fathead anything one day soon.

Reactions: jjraak and AngiH

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your putting toppings on such as peppers, mushrooms, onions its best to sauté them off first as they won't cook in the time the pizza is back in the oven for the second time as this is really only to melt the cheese.

It's extremely filling and really really good - I don't have it too often as it has a LOT of cheese and dairy messes with my weight loss - the best thing about it is it's great cold for breakfast! Memories of my misspent youth and "hangover breakfasts" lol

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You do not either have a 17 year old! You would have been ten when you had him!!!
Happy birthday him, and I am hoping to try the fathead anything one day soon.
if only I was that young...the big 50 beckons next March

Reactions: jjraak

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If your putting toppings on such as peppers, mushrooms, onions its best to sauté them off first as they won't cook in the time the pizza is back in the oven for the second time as this is really only to melt the cheese.

It's extremely filling and really really good - I don't have it too often as it has a LOT of cheese and dairy messes with my weight loss - the best thing about it is it's great cold for breakfast! Memories of my misspent youth and "hangover breakfasts" lol
I didn't get round to making it yet...but I will. I am trying a week without as much cheese and cream as it may speed up my weight loss too. I'm also not tolerating the high fat that well due to previously diagnosed colitis. So hopefully cutting back a bit may help.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not tried the coconut version so can't comment. Roll it out as thin as you can. Pull off a small piece to try it out first, or two small pieces if you want to try the garlic bread.

Think about your toppings. I vary, tomato paste and mozzarella are a given. Pepperoni or similar, olives, mushrooms, peppers, chilli, the world is your oyster although I don't actually eat them.

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
I've have just made my first fat head pizza, I used ground almonds.
It looked amazing, taste was a bit bland, so I need to work on that, and I didn't get the base thin enough, it was like pizza cake!
Work in progress...
Next time I'll use the same measurements but freeze at least half of it, and I'll still have enough for a thin 12" base to share.
My biggest concern is I have no idea how to dose for this!
I'm fine calculating for carbs, not so much for fat or protein.
Any suggestions or tips would be most welcome, the last time I made anything like this was at school.

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another one to try @chrisbug is chefjohn on you tube, cauliflower base pizza. I prefer it to the fathead ones, I think possibly because I like to see all the cheese on top!

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Another one to try @chrisbug is chefjohn on you tube, cauliflower base pizza. I prefer it to the fathead ones, I think possibly because I like to see all the cheese on top!
Good point about the cheese!
As I spread mozzarella on top, I thought 'that's what this needs, more cheese!' ha
I'll have a look on YouTube for your recommendation. Thanks