EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
OK, my saffron crocuses have come up and I'm harvesting their little red threads/stigmas. I've never cooked with saffron before and most of the web suggestions involve rice or pasta.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for low carb saffron dishes? I guess I could do cauliflower saffron???

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have no idea, but please let us know the results of what you try!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you Google low carb saffron recipes lots of nice things come up. Saffron chicken, as you say saffron cauliflower also saffron is nice in puddings, pannacotta, low carb custards - I consider you a very rich Ellie as saffron is more expensive than gold. Anywhere I ever worked we kept it away from the kitchen and had to be requested by the chef

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I consider you a very rich Ellie as saffron is more expensive than gold.
All my childhood, as far as I remember, my mother had a tiny little box with a few saffron thingies. Very much forbidden for me because they were so expensive.
I don't think she ever used them, saving them for something special for decades! :hilarious:

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK, my saffron crocuses have come up and I'm harvesting their little red threads/stigmas. I've never cooked with saffron before and most of the web suggestions involve rice or pasta.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations for low carb saffron dishes? I guess I could do cauliflower saffron???
Is that a specific kind of crocus or ones you’ve “ designated” for that use? What a treat. Paella comes to mind first but with cauliflower rice.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that a specific kind of crocus or ones you’ve “ designated” for that use? What a treat. Paella comes to mind first but with cauliflower rice.
You cannot use just any crocus for saffron!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You cannot use just any crocus for saffron!
Here is a link for saffron growing and what type.

Saffron, yeah
I'm just-a mad about her
I'm-a just-a mad about-a saffron
She's just mad about me
They call it mellow yellow (Quite rightly)
They call me mellow yellow (Quite rightly)
They call me mellow yellow
Oh, so yellow...

Thank you Donovan for the song.

https://greenharvest.com.au/Plants/Information/SaffronCrocus.html

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
s that a specific kind of crocus or ones you’ve “ designated” for that use? What a treat. Paella comes to mind first but with cauliflower rice.

No, they are real saffron flowers, my husband bought me 100 bulbs for Christmas (from a reputable nursery selling all sorts of exotic seeds and heirloom vegetables) and I planted them a couple of months ago. So far I've had 23 flowers but there are lots that haven't flowered yet. According to google you need 150,000 flowers to make a 1kg of saffron so I reckon I'll get between .5g and 1g if I'm lucky...

I don't think it's a money making exercise but I am excited to have my own saffron.

I'm going to be so disappointed if it doesn't taste good...

Last edited:

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, they are real saffron flowers, my husband bought me 100 bulbs for Christmas (from a reputable nursery selling all sorts of exotic seeds and heirloom vegetables) and I planted them a couple of months ago. So far I've had 23 flowers but there are lots that haven't flowered yet. According to google you need 150,000 flowers to make a 1kg of saffron so I reckon I'll get between .5g and 1g if I'm lucky...

I don't think it's a money making exercise but I am excited to have my own saffron.

I'm going to be so disappointed if it doesn't taste good...
According to my Google search just 24 plants will provide sufficient saffron for several meals in their first year and more in subsequent years. Sounds like a winning proposition, and an excellent Christmas gift.

Reactions: ziggy_w and EllieM

Hotpepper20000

I’ve used saffron anywhere I’d use chicken or vegetable bouillon.
Take a few strands and let them bloom in a little hot water.
I brown chicken, remove it from the pan. Deglazed the pan with saffron water and add any flavours you’ll like.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@EllieM , thank you so much!
I needed a birthday present for a friend and I've been trying to think of something for days without success. Your thread solved the problem. :)

I tried to find bulbs first, but they don't sell them this time of year. But a pretty little tin of saffron is a very nice present too!

1200x596.jpg

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Turmeric is the poor man’s saffron, used by many establishments to get the delicate colour but not the delicate flavour