Type 2 HBa1C test - and the HbA1c Units Converter – DCCT to IFCC

want_to_be_well_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi There,

I had a recent HBa1c test and was shocked to find that my blood sugar levels had gone up to 45. The last time I was tested was pre lockdown and it was 38 back in Oct 2019. I put the figure into the HbA1c Units Converter- DCCT to IFCC and was surprised to read that it said my blood sugar levels were still in the Green Zone. From memory normal is 20-41 and pre diabetic is 42-47 with diabetic 48 plus. Has the metre been re jigged or is it that I have a false memory on this ? I am doing everything I can to get my blood sugar levels down into the 20-41 range, including intermittent water only fasting and returning to a much stricter low carb diet. Any ideas on this ? And how can pre diabetic be regarded as good ?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
how can pre diabetic be regarded as good

It depends where you are looking at it from, if you are coming from a high HbA1c then 45 will probably look very good. In your case moving from non diabetic, 45 is not going to look very appealing. At least you're not quite back into T2 territory and a few dietary tweeks should get you back on track

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi There,

I had a recent HBa1c test and was shocked to find that my blood sugar levels had gone up to 45. The last time I was tested was pre lockdown and it was 38 back in Oct 2019. I put the figure into the HbA1c Units Converter- DCCT to IFCC and was surprised to read that it said my blood sugar levels were still in the Green Zone. From memory normal is 20-41 and pre diabetic is 42-47 with diabetic 48 plus. Has the metre been re jigged or is it that I have a false memory on this ? I am doing everything I can to get my blood sugar levels down into the 20-41 range, including intermittent water only fasting and returning to a much stricter low carb diet. Any ideas on this ? And how can pre diabetic be regarded as good ?

I think they are looking at it from the point of view of a diagnosed diabetic. So for a T1 such as myself 48 is regarded as the target to aim for, anything below is good. Looks like the upper orange limit is quite high, corresponding to an old units hba1c of 10% (or 86mmol/mol) so definitely an old style range based on levels for long term diabetics. (Probably set up when DCCT were the units and before anyone considered that T2 did not have to be progressive.)

Reactions: jjraak

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @Clairefrog
Below 42 is considered normal
42 - - 47 is pre diabetes
48 and above is diabetes
At 69 you are firmly in to diabetes territory but many people with a higher HbA1c have managed to get back into non diabetic numbers. You can too with the right diet, so all is not lost.
Have a look at the nutritional thingy link below this post, is should set you on the right path