Background retinopathy

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Hi. I had my 3rd eye test for the above (been diabetic 3 years) - received my letter this morning and not the normal standard you are ok letter but the above.
I have only been diabetic for 3 years; does this happen this quickly? My last A1c was 45 6.3%. I am very worried. X.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago so have had 5 screenings, the first one was clear, the second showed background retinopathy, then the third and fourth were clear again. I received my results today from my fifth and again I have background retinopathy. When I got my first retinopathy result, I was reassured by @Dark Horse, who said that retinopathy can come and go.

markpj31

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Hi. I had my 3rd eye test for the above (been diabetic 3 years) - received my letter this morning and not the normal standard you are ok letter but the above.
I have only been diabetic for 3 years; does this happen this quickly? My last A1c was 45 6.3%. I am very worried. X.

Been diabetic for 12 years (officially) and probably more than that unofficially. As far as I'm aware, I have always had some form of retinopathy on the letter that they send you (which I might add, isn't even worth reading). Your control is great, so just concentrate on that. Just go by what you see with your own eyes, not in the ins and outs notes that go to the doctors!

Reactions: EllieM and boggle

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first one at diagnosis indicated BR.
Your surgery gets a detailed report so I learned from the nurse I had 2 micro (something) in one eye, other was clear.
Anyway, last 2 have come back all clear

Reactions: EllieM and SuNuman

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I was diagnosed 5 yrs ago so have had 5 screenings, the first one was clear, the second showed background retinopathy, then the third and fourth were clear again. I received my results today from my fifth and again I have background retinopathy. When I got my first retinopathy result, I was reassured by @Dark Horse, who said that retinopathy can come and go.
Thank you very much for your reply; has made me feel loads better. Xx.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Been diabetic for 12 years (officially) and probably more than that unofficially. As far as I'm aware, I have always had some form of retinopathy on the letter that they send you (which I might add, isn't even worth reading). Your control is great, so just concentrate on that. Just go by what you see with your own eyes, not in the ins and outs notes that go to the doctors!
Thank you for replying; has made me feel better. X

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
My first one at diagnosis indicated BR.
Your surgery gets a detailed report so I learned from the nurse I had 2 micro (something) in one eye, other was clear.
Anyway, last 2 have come back all clear
Thank you for your reply. Is so good to hear other people’s results, views etc. Xx.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've been T2 since 2013, so have had a few tests. I had one come back as "showing signs of change".

I spoke with a friend's husband who happens to be an eye surgeon and does a lot of work on those living with diabetes.

He recommended I see my optician and explaining my concerns. He further went on to explain that these changes and early retinopathy can be transient - a bit like a bruise. By the time I saw the optician (whom the surgeon rates) there was nothing to be seen, and clear again since.

Whatever you do, don't panic. It helps nothing.

Perhaps do as I was advised and see your optician? I didn't mention the letter from the clinic until my guy had done his exam. He was so shocked by it, he repeated all the exams (aside from the actual sight test) again, to ensure he hadn't missed anything.

The final thing the surgeon said to me was that not all eye disease or even retinopathy relates to diabetes. It is more common in those living with diabetes, but not confined to them.

Keeping your control good will help, whatever the situation.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

I've been diabetic for 52 years, and very rarely had an hba1c as low as 6.3%. For the last few decades I've had on again off again retinopathy (pretty much permanently on now) but it still hasn't progressed to the point where they want/need to treat it. (Goes off to touch every piece of wood in the house :)). My guess (usual disclaimer, not a doctor) is that some damage may have been done in the years before you were diagnosed and your levels were higher, but hopefully your current levels will allow your eyes to recover. (The marker for a diabetes diagnosis was set at 6.5% because below this level very few people have diabetic eye issues).

Good luck, and congratulations on your hba1c.

Reactions: SuNuman

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I've been diabetic for 52 years, and very rarely had an hba1c as low as 6.3%. For the last few decades I've had on again off again retinopathy (pretty much permanently on now) but it still hasn't progressed to the point where they want/need to treat it. (Goes off to touch every piece of wood in the house :)). My guess (usual disclaimer, not a doctor) is that some damage may have been done in the years before you were diagnosed and your levels were higher, but hopefully your current levels will allow your eyes to recover. (The marker for a diabetes diagnosis was set at 6.5% because below this level very few people have diabetic eye issues).

Good luck, and congratulations on your hba1c.
Thank you very much. Has made me feel better. Xxx.

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
I've been T2 since 2013, so have had a few tests. I had one come back as "showing signs of change".

I spoke with a friend's husband who happens to be an eye surgeon and does a lot of work on those living with diabetes.

He recommended I see my optician and explaining my concerns. He further went on to explain that these changes and early retinopathy can be transient - a bit like a bruise. By the time I saw the optician (whom the surgeon rates) there was nothing to be seen, and clear again since.

Whatever you do, don't panic. It helps nothing.

Perhaps do as I was advised and see your optician? I didn't mention the letter from the clinic until my guy had done his exam. He was so shocked by it, he repeated all the exams (aside from the actual sight test) again, to ensure he hadn't missed anything.

The final thing the surgeon said to me was that not all eye disease or even retinopathy relates to diabetes. It is more common in those living with diabetes, but not confined to them.

Keeping your control good will help, whatever the situation.
Thank you. Has made me feel better. X

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. Has made me feel better. X

Just as an afterthought, your GP will also have received a letter following your screening. In this instance the letter he/she receives differs from your own. His/her letter gives a little more detail, such as whether inone eye of both, and scored from 0 to 5 (don't hold me to that 5, as I'm purely going from memory on that), so you could also have a chat with your GP.

Your GP isn't likely to know too much detail about retirnopathy as they will usually hand that off to the experts, but maybe worth getting the detail.

However, as I say don't panic. (Easy to say, but less so to do, I accept.) Raised blood pressure is very unhelpful to the eyes!

Reactions: SuNuman

SuNuman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being diabetic lol.
Just as an afterthought, your GP will also have received a letter following your screening. In this instance the letter he/she receives differs from your own. His/her letter gives a little more detail, such as whether inone eye of both, and scored from 0 to 5 (don't hold me to that 5, as I'm purely going from memory on that), so you could also have a chat with your GP.

Your GP isn't likely to know too much detail about retirnopathy as they will usually hand that off to the experts, but maybe worth getting the detail.

However, as I say don't panic. (Easy to say, but less so to do, I accept.) Raised blood pressure is very unhelpful to the eyes!
Thank you. Yes I will ask about the report. X

Reactions: AndBreathe

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. How can it come and go? Once you have it is that it for life? I've just had my test and got background retinopathy I'm absolutely devastated as my hba1c have been normal since I was diagnosed

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. How can it come and go? Once you have it is that it for life? I've just had my test and got background retinopathy I'm absolutely devastated as my hba1c have been normal since I was diagnosed
I don’t know how it can come and go, sorry I don’t really understand it myself