Diabetic scuba divers, any practical experience

unbalanced

Hello to everyone,
does anyone, type one, have practical experience/advice of scuba diving.
I'm thinking of joining a club and training but it would be good to talk to someone who has or is doing it.

Thanks in advance

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Don't do it in Australia as they will not medically pass you to scuba dive here.

Elc1112

Some clubs will not allow you to train with them as you are diabetic and their insurance will not cover it. I was told that it is because of the risk of underwear hypos, which I found a little patronising but never mind! Make sure you check this out. You may need to get a note from your doctor before they allow you to do it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!! :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Elc1112 said:
Some clubs will not allow you to train with them as you are diabetic and their insurance will not cover it. I was told that it is because of the risk of underwear hypos, which I found a little patronising but never mind!

The effects of nitrogen narcosis could easily hide the onset of a hypo so not that patronising really, sorry but I was a BSAC Advanced Diver prior to getting old :lol: And I wouldnt like to put my life in the hands of someone (buddy) who could become hypo at any time.

I have seen divers suffering from narcosis and they didnt even know they were out of it and putting themselves at risk. Stories of divers passing their demand valve to a passing fish are funny but not that far from the truth

Elc1112

Fair enough. I wanted to try scuba diving while on holiday. The guy that told me I couldn't go wasn't the sharpest tool on the box, hence it felt a little patronising. In fact I'm pretty sure he was getting diabetes and asthma mixed up!

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
To be fair Elc if you are only holiday diving, the diving would probably be quite shallow so nitrogen narcosis would not be a problem and diving in warm waters is a long way removed from diving in the UK where the water is obviously much colder. So holiday diving may be OK :D

However if there is any risk of hypo whilst under water it could quickly end up as a serious incident which every dive school would want to avoid, so I can see their reticence. There is also the fact that diving does take it out of you, heavy equipment and time hanging around in tight fitting wet or dry suits can be quite exhausting, again increasing the risk of lowering blood sugars and hypo's.

You could try contacting the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) or the British Sub Aqua Club (BSAC) and asking for advice from them. Both organisations will have contact details that Google will find, it could be worth a call. Most holiday diving is organised by PADI dive schools as BSAC is more a club based organisation obviously UK based.

Hope this helps

smitha48

Hi there,

amongst other things, prior to my cardiac issues last year, I was a PADI certified instructor. 8)

One of the questions on the PADI Medical form relates to Diabetes......If you answer yes, you need to get a doctor to certify whether or not you are fit to dive. :thumbdown:

Instructions (specifically relating to Diabetes) to the doctor are as follows:

The potentially rapid change in level of consciousness associated with hypoglycemia in diabetics on insulin therapy or
certain oral hypoglycemic medications can result in drowning. Diving is therefore generally contraindicated, unless
associated with a specialized program that addresses these issues.

This is probably not what you want to hear, but better safe than sorry. I really miss my diving :(

Bye Bye for now

Tony

unbalanced

Hello and thanks to all who have posted answers and info.

Followed the links to past disscusions and read them too.

I think i'm on top of the medical process , waiting for medical referee to call as I type.

Spoken to a BSAC club in Cambridge who are OK if I do the medical bit.

I may post the whole process from initial interest call to having a go if it happens,
if anyone showed any interest.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again